`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is 2014 Archives $125+ per box?

RE: Why is 2014 Archives $125+ per box?
(06-06-2014, 09:50 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: i loved archives last year. i got a case at $55/box (redemptions for both axl riose and trout auto /25 paid for the case)

this year's achive didnt do much for me, and i certainly wouldnt pay more than 70/box

What's funny is the price on last years has plummeted I've seen $40 a box. If I didn't dislike archives so much I'd be tempted to get a case and hope for a good auto haul

It's supply and demand. The print run for this year is WAY lower that the previous two years. Some shops can't even get it in, most of it has been sold already lol.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

I was looking forward to buying a couple boxes and was expecting $80-90 at the LCS, and cheaper online... $130 at LCS and equally expensive online? No thanks... Have to pass.

I get the price hike though when I look at it... The standard auto checklist is WAYYYYY better than last year.There are only 7-8 players on the standard checklist this year where I would really slap myself on the forehead if they ended up being one of the hits... Last years was full of head slappers, unless you hit big on a short print Trout/current star like Josh is talking about (which I did).

They added a few current stars in Abreu/Tulo/Goldie, a couple HOF'ers in Henderson, Niekro and I-rod (????), some big name roiders in McGwire/Canseco, and some high quality favorites in El-duque, Sabo, Van Slyke and Gant... This is in addition to Eric Davis and Greenwell who were the "big hits" in the standard fan favorites set last year. Also, having the late Don Zimmer in the set probably isn't hurting sales at this point either.

Another thing, they SP'd the key RC's in the set. That combined with the already lower print run is a plus in my book... Some key RC's...

Anyway, all this combined with the Major League Hype easily explains the price point in my book. It just wasn't what I expected and decided to go after singles since I wasn't going to try and build the set.

The Abreu RC on the 86 topps design is sweet! If only they waited and got him in a throwback jersey....
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

I like Archives. I won't buy it though. Maybe a pack or two if I see them for sale. I will chase the singles and some of the inserts. I'm not so much interested in owning the autos so if you folks want to trade your singles, I'm looking for all the HOFers and some other stars. Hit me up please.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(06-06-2014, 11:41 AM)petillo64 Wrote: I was looking forward to buying a couple boxes and was expecting $80-90 at the LCS, and cheaper online... $130 at LCS and equally expensive online? No thanks... Have to pass.

I get the price hike though when I look at it... The standard auto checklist is WAYYYYY better than last year.There are only 7-8 players on the standard checklist this year where I would really slap myself on the forehead if they ended up being one of the hits... Last years was full of head slappers, unless you hit big on a short print Trout/current star like Josh is talking about (which I did).

They added a few current stars in Abreu/Tulo/Goldie, a couple HOF'ers in Henderson, Niekro and I-rod (????), some big name roiders in McGwire/Canseco, and some high quality favorites in El-duque, Sabo, Van Slyke and Gant... This is in addition to Eric Davis and Greenwell who were the "big hits" in the standard fan favorites set last year. Also, having the late Don Zimmer in the set probably isn't hurting sales at this point either.

Another thing, they SP'd the key RC's in the set. That combined with the already lower print run is a plus in my book... Some key RC's...

Anyway, all this combined with the Major League Hype easily explains the price point in my book. It just wasn't what I expected and decided to go after singles since I wasn't going to try and build the set.

The Abreu RC on the 86 topps design is sweet! If only they waited and got him in a throwback jersey....
This explains it. I didn't realize that print runs are down for alot of their products. Didn't know about the SP RCs, better autos...I bought last year and swore I wouldn't buy it again. Thanks for all the info. I am assuming Topps Base Series 2 is also a shorter print run because Blowout seems to be having an issue getting them back in stock. Topps is adjusting to an ever shrinking collector market.

$130 is pure insanity

Like always, the product is over priced from the get go.

This year it's just completely utterly ridiculous in every way shape and form.

It's always been my worst selling affordable topps product based on just how horrible the auto list is every year.

People either have way too much money, don't have a clue what crap is in this, or just want to get two $5 autos for $120.

Before anyone buys this box, do the smart thing and buy two Major League autos (or 20 regular autos) and the base set for $120

I've heard this product was "under ordered" because it's garbage and dealer's didn't want it because collectors didn't buy it (last year's dropped like a Rock).

And now it's "hot" and pricey and "scarcity" plays a big roll in that.

And that is why dealers, collectors and distributors can never boycott any product.

No matter how horrible a product is, if it's hard to find the sheep will flock.

It happened with the first gypsy queen and it's repeated here.

Production is way down -- about half as many hobby cases as last year by most estimates. That along with the Major League autos has wax moving.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)