`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When Your Stars Don't Shine...Hang in There?

When Your Stars Don't Shine...Hang in There?
So..maybe I just picked thee wrong player to collect? My son went to school with Josh Beckett. They all played ball together growing up. Josh's little brother was a firefighter for a short while at my fire station in Spring a few years ago and it was Caleb that got me started collecting his brother's cards. And, here I am today with probably one of the most complete collections of JB cards and for what? He's been flat, hurt, a brat (and sometimes called worse). So far this year, he has only made two issues of cards released so far. I can't figure this out??? A star player, but he is not featured in these 2014 sets: Bowman, Opening Day, Gypsy Queen, Museum Collection, Tribute, Turkey Red, as well as a few others.

Now, he throws a no-hitter!

I guess I just don't understand who decides whether or not he is included in these card sets or not. Is it the player himself who doesn't sign a contract with the card company? Or, is it the card company who simply doesn't want the player, or think the player needs to be a part of a particular set. I see sets of cards with player names that are no where near the stature of Josh Beckett, yet HE is not in the set.

I am just looking for some insight.

Dave

RE: When Your Stars Don't Shine...Hang in There?
Hey Dave -

When a player signs their contract with MLBPA, it allows them to be featured in all card sets in that season. It's the card companies who decide which players go in what sets, and I have no idea what their rhyme and reason is. One thing to remember is some sets come out with 2 series per year, plus update series, etc, so there's plenty of chances for Beckett to show up throughout the season, and now that he's thrown the no-no, I guarantee you'll start seeing him pop up in sets for 2014. Hope this helps!
Courtney Hawkins Supercollector
Always looking for ones we need!
58 cards needed for 1 of each unique card made! (Non 1/1's)

RE: When Your Stars Don't Shine...Hang in There?
That's exactly what I was looking for. I kind of thought that was probably the case. And, I think that a lot probably has to do with Beckett's own performance over the past couple of years, which sure hasn't been anywhere near his potential. I just hope he has gotten a taste of the game again with his no-hitter this last weekend, and keeps pressing on for a great season!
(05-27-2014, 08:13 AM)RyanKramer961 Wrote: Hey Dave -

When a player signs their contract with MLBPA, it allows them to be featured in all card sets in that season. It's the card companies who decide which players go in what sets, and I have no idea what their rhyme and reason is. One thing to remember is some sets come out with 2 series per year, plus update series, etc, so there's plenty of chances for Beckett to show up throughout the season, and now that he's thrown the no-no, I guarantee you'll start seeing him pop up in sets for 2014. Hope this helps!