`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can BGS cases be reproduced?

Can BGS cases be reproduced?
I was watching some Youtube videos today about how there are scammers out there that actually make BGS cases and put lower graded cards in high grade cases to sell for more money.

Is it actually possible to re-create a BGS case?
Has anyone seen a fake case?
Anyone know what a fake BGS case would look like?

I've heard of people remaking PSA cases but never heard of fake BGS cases, seems kind of unlikely but I guess if there is money to be made, there'll be scammers!

RE: Can BGS cases be reproduced?
I can't say I've ever heard of it or seen one but, like you said, if there is money to be made.........

Really, it's just plastic anyway. While I don't believe they'd be 100% spot on, with some of the other things in the world that people can re-produce/counterfeit, I'm certain it's possible if someone really wanted to.

rpodicing fake cases would be cost prohibitive. more likely, they are carefully cracking bgs cases

I'm sure it is not impossible but as others have noted there are easier ways to scam buyers. I have BGS and PSA graded cards in my collection and I openly admit that I have more questions regarding the PSA cases than I do the BGS cases.

I believe ITG uses a similar case to Beckett's but it seems lighter and a little cheaper than the BGS model. The best defence is to always look carefully at your cards, even graded cards from reputable dealers. Most of the cards I purchase tend to be less than $100 so my risk is somewhat mitigated.
[Image: pwskelly_zps1a5efa17.jpg]

Collecting: 2005-06 SP Authentic Hockey Marks of Distinction and Mike Liut.

(05-19-2014, 06:11 PM)pwskelly Wrote: I'm sure it is not impossible but as others have noted there are easier ways to scam buyers. I have BGS and PSA graded cards in my collection and I openly admit that I have more questions regarding the PSA cases than I do the BGS cases.

I believe ITG uses a similar case to Beckett's but it seems lighter and a little cheaper than the BGS model. The best defence is to always look carefully at your cards, even graded cards from reputable dealers. Most of the cards I purchase tend to be less than $100 so my risk is somewhat mitigated.
I wasn't really worried too much, I just found it interesting as I never heard it before and wondered if anyone else had.
I agree with you about the PSA cases. They are so damn easy to crack into, and there are tons of stories (and proof) on the internet about PSA graded cards that were cracked into, switched and sold.

(05-17-2014, 11:07 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: rpodicing fake cases would be cost prohibitive. more likely, they are carefully cracking bgs cases
The cost to build a mold for a bgs slab would cost about.....we'll nothing really. Maybe 50 cents in material. It's finding a guy with a plastic molding machine. And there are thousands of these out there. Find a guy who owns a molding machine and collects also, he can do some serious reproduction.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]