`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really stupid new 2014 Topps stat categories

Really stupid new 2014 Topps stat categories
I was going through some 2014 Topps packs I recently bought, and nearly threw up when reading the statistics on the back.

First off, there is no on-base percentage. What?

Slugging percentage + on-base percentage (OPS) is shown after slugging average and before batting average.

And we have the stupid, meaningless, subjective, non-mathematical WAR number.

Hey Topps - the back of the card reads "Major and Minor League Batting Record."

War - is not part of that batting record. Stick to statistics - which means math. I shouldn't have to search for the batting average number. That should be ahead of the slugging average number as it always has been. Give me the on-base percentage number instead of OPS.

That's the way it has been done for more than 100 years for a reason. NO need to start a Bill James number on my baseball card.

Thanks.

RE: Really stupid new 2014 Topps stat categories
OPS is the God Stat. it tells you way more than just OBP

and while the debate on WAR is out there and how useful it is (and there are three major flavors) it IS a mathematical equation. in fact, it's a ton of math

for fangraphs version:

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/war/war...n-players/

(05-13-2014, 10:46 PM)natejeffries Wrote: Give me the on-base percentage number instead of OPS.

That's the way it has been done for more than 100 years for a reason. NO need to start a Bill James number on my baseball card.
actually, OBP didnt really gain a lot of popularity until 20 years ago, and the guy that led it into popularity? bill james, a man you seem to regard as some baseball anti-christ

we are in the 21st century now. advanced statistics are now used by every team

War is not a statistic. It is a bunch of gobbled up gibberish sewn together.

(05-14-2014, 04:25 PM)natejeffries Wrote: War is not a statistic. It is a bunch of gobbled up gibberish sewn together.
it really isnt. there is an actual mathematical equation.

this is the equation for baseball reference's WAR:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wins_Above_Replacement

just because you dont understand higher mathematics doesnt mean it isnt math and that it isnt based on stats

luddites are a dying breed

Pretty foolish to say WAR is not a math based statistic. Also, OPS is the best offensive category there is. Jacoby and I are like oil and water, but he's right here. It's you that needs to look forward, not behind.
[Image: Signature_zpsnepr034k.jpg]

OP...I understand your point...you want the batting stats only. Hey your cards, you can scream for what you want. I too like my cards with the basic stats. I want the other space taken up with tidbits about the player or baseball in general. I'll look for the other stats elsewhere. (yes...I embrace them whole-heart whatever)

Power to the luddites!!!!! Long live Ned Ludd!!!!!
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

can't fix stupid
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,267 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile