`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help on this Gretzky topps rookie

RE: Need help on this Gretzky topps rookie
Do the re-prints have the later year printed on the back? They don't just have the 1979 year on them, do they?

Two things:

#1 - Lot Price - The 'price' difference between a PSA 7 and PSA 8 Gretzky is $200 ($400 for a 7 vs $600 for an 8) with most raw 'near-mint' copies going in the $200-300 range (give or take). Outside of the Gretzky RC, that lot could probably be picked up at a show or on message boards for a fraction of the BV. Just my opinion, but for $600, I'd expect at least a PSA 8 graded Gretzky RC. [The difference in 'value' between an 8 and a 9 is $600 for an 8 and $2500+ for a 9. If that card would grade a 9, he'd be silly not to get it graded, in person at a show if he's worried about a swap...]

#2 - Real or Fake - You'd honestly need to touch the card to look for three things. 1) Card stock. The older cardboard stock will feel different that what a reprint or fake will. This would be a first clue. In the picture, the edges make it look like the old cardboard, but I'd still want to feel it to know. 2) Edges. The images make it look really clean but that could be a function of trimming. If you hold it next to another 79-80 Topps card, you'll be able to see/tell if the edges have been altered. Look for subtle differences like the bend of the picture towards the edge, etc. Scissors leave a different 'fingerprint' than other cutting methods. And 3) Print Lines. 79-80 originals were printed using plates and the edges of borders, etc. are clean, flat lines. Many fakes are printed on printers and will have some level of pixelation along borders. You can pick this up either in person or with a high-resolution (600 dpi or better) scan.

Again, it looks good from the images provided, but, to me, the price is either too high (for a raw 7-8) or too good to be true (for a raw 9) and it's impossible to tell which without holding the card...

Good luck whichever way you go!
Current Project #1 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Base Set (520/600)
Current Project #2 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Playing Card Set (49/54)

Current Most Wanted - 1991-92 Upper Deck #587 Nicklas Lidstrom YG PSA 10 Incoming

Curious about what you decided about the lot?

If it's real, the seller would have no problem sending more scans.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I'm leaning towards fake. If all he had is "90's junk", then how the hell did he manage to get a pristine Gretzky rookie??? Probably one of the reprints he got in a lot of Gretzky cards. Just my opinion though

I didn't buy them. The cards were in my possession. He is a coworker of mine. He told me he sold one of the cards years ago to a card shop and this is the last one he has. Pulled them when he was a teenager. I told him I can't buy them until they get graded.