`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Is it me, or is the cost of some cards insane?

RE: Is it me, or is the cost of some cards insane?
I can see how the box price, demand, area, etc, can affect the card pricing. But I still hold to my guns, I won't pay top dollar, I don't care the brand, for a player that isn't a HOF or star. If I had the choice between a Rodgers 2005 RC Auto for $600+, and the Johnathan Franklin (who I'm trying to super collect) Contenders Championship ticket 1/1, or his super refractor for $750+ (priced that way on ebay right now), I'm taking the Rodgers. I sell as well, and try to get a fair value for my cards, so I understand that part as well.

One thing I always underestimated until recently was the college allegiances some people have for players. A rookie might not have seen the field for more than a few snaps this year but people will still shell out cash for them.

BTW, I'm on board with Franklin. My Wife made me watch some clips of him and he runs like a monster.

All of my Quinton Patton were basically at a steal. Some were from people giving them to me. Some I traded for, I have purchased a few of them. The most I have paid for one card, was $40 for the Topps Chrome Red Refractor #ed to 25. His Gold version #ed 50 has been around $40-$45 on average.. So I shop for deals and I don't hesitate when I see a great deal. OnTheAir, a new member here on Beckett hooked me up with this Quinton Patton Card. It is #ed to 99.

[Image: IMG_20140408_0004_zps62c05b2a.jpg]
Quinton Patton's GU and Autos

(04-11-2014, 11:19 AM)GnC_Fricker Wrote: One thing I always underestimated until recently was the college allegiances some people have for players. A rookie might not have seen the field for more than a few snaps this year but people will still shell out cash for them.

BTW, I'm on board with Franklin. My Wife made me watch some clips of him and he runs like a monster.
Yep, I'm one of those guys ... I graduated from USC and have a pretty decent Trojans PC at this point.

Most people aren't big fans of the draft stuff when it first comes out, but I scoop up all the autos and mem I can, because I'm more interested in them as Trojans than whatever team they land on (unless it's my Lions, LOL).

Although, I have to say, even though it's a pro uniform, pulling these two cards in the same BLASTER of Magic was basically my best football retail break ever ...

[Image: BarkleyJersey_zps104238a1.jpg]

[Image: BarkleyAuto_zps1466bb53.jpg]

Even though the jury is out whether he will ever be a good pro QB, I loved the guy at USC and was stoked to pull these!

(04-07-2014, 12:45 PM)butterworth1326 Wrote: Prices are crazy. Brian Hartline is a good player, but will be a career No. 2, but yet I've paid crazy amounts. But like you, I pay what I think they are worth. I let his natty treasure 1/1 reebok patch auto sit on eBay for 18 months before he came around. It's hard and I have been doing a lot more second guessing these past few months. But it's fun to look and get new stuff, just at my prices from now on
I am with everyone. I am just getting back in the hobby and I see see some prices on Ebay that are just unbelievable. Sure you have a $30 RC that was graded GEM Mint but is it really worth $199. Not in my book. To me I am going to collect what I love and if I find some really good deals I will snatch them up. I found a Rusty Smith Epix RC /50 worth $50 right now I paid like $2.25 WITH shipping. The RC is about 3 years old so I figure it has held it value that long it should be good. But I also have a lot of common cards as well. I love the Dolphins and I just like the look of the old uniforms and players. Not worth much but in the OVERALL collection they have to play a part...

(04-11-2014, 11:19 AM)GnC_Fricker Wrote: One thing I always underestimated until recently was the college allegiances some people have for players. A rookie might not have seen the field for more than a few snaps this year but people will still shell out cash for them.

Yeah, the college bit is big with a couple people I know. Watching Franklin in college and preseason, I really thought he was the guy who would fit the Packers best...a good runner, decent receiver, and seemed to fit the pass happy pack. Never saw them going to the power run game with Lacy lol. Also, Lacy has had durability issues in college, so I figured he'd get hurt at some point, and enter Franklin. Could still happen, but either way, I'm happy Pack have them both! Smile

(04-11-2014, 07:28 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Yep, I'm one of those guys ... I graduated from USC and have a pretty decent Trojans PC at this point.

Most people aren't big fans of the draft stuff when it first comes out, but I scoop up all the autos and mem I can, because I'm more interested in them as Trojans than whatever team they land on (unless it's my Lions, LOL).

Although, I have to say, even though it's a pro uniform, pulling these two cards in the same BLASTER of Magic was basically my best football retail break ever ...

[Image: BarkleyJersey_zps104238a1.jpg]

[Image: BarkleyAuto_zps1466bb53.jpg]

Even though the jury is out whether he will ever be a good pro QB, I loved the guy at USC and was stoked to pull these!
Haha nice! I like to do the same with Badgers, just because I grew up watching them...I loved Montee Ball, Russell Wilson, and now Abbrederis, Borland, White, and Sutherland. I won't go crazy collecting them, but hopefully they get some nice Badger auto/patch cards at some point!

(04-11-2014, 09:31 PM)mannhalr Wrote: I am with everyone. I am just getting back in the hobby and I see see some prices on Ebay that are just unbelievable. Sure you have a $30 RC that was graded GEM Mint but is it really worth $199. Not in my book. To me I am going to collect what I love and if I find some really good deals I will snatch them up. I found a Rusty Smith Epix RC /50 worth $50 right now I paid like $2.25 WITH shipping. The RC is about 3 years old so I figure it has held it value that long it should be good. But I also have a lot of common cards as well. I love the Dolphins and I just like the look of the old uniforms and players. Not worth much but in the OVERALL collection they have to play a part...
I agree...collect what you like, and can afford. And try to avoid the temptation to go for more :p Lol!

"I agree...collect what you like, and can afford. And try to avoid the temptation to go for more"

Lol! That smacks of self control which I lack entirely Smile

(04-12-2014, 10:45 AM)GnC_Fricker Wrote: "I agree...collect what you like, and can afford. And try to avoid the temptation to go for more"

Lol! That smacks of self control which I lack entirely Smile
Haha, I talk the talk...it's another thing to follow through! :p