`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Three-Ring binder storage question

Three-Ring binder storage question
This question goes out to those of you who utilize three-ring binders for your PCs. I am looking to put some of my cards into said binders and was wondering what spine size (1", 2", etc.) that anyone would reccomend. I know that the larger sizes tend to offer less support for the pages when stored upright, and tend have more stress on the seam between the covers and spine causing tears on the seam. If anyone could also give me an approximation of how many pages that they usually have in their binders would also be appreciated. Also, the binders that you use, are any manufacturers better than others (i.e., do you purchase ones specifically for cards or do you pick them up from an office supply store)? The cards that I am going to be putting into the pages/binders are Allen and Ginter, specifically minis. Thanks in advance.
Collecting the following players:
Steve Garvey (177 different cards) --Willie McCovey (168 different cards) --Will Clark (199 different cards) --Mel Ott (132 different cards) --Willie Mays (28 different cards)
=Currently collecting vintage tobacco and tea cards as well as Topps Allen and Ginter=

RE: Three-Ring binder storage question
I store my PC in binders. I pick up any binders I can get. Usually cheap ones at WalMart. I use 1" - 4" binders. Make sure you don't overfill them though because they will damage the cards next to the rings. The binders pictured here hold cards valued at under $3. I have nicer binders in the safe that hold cards valued at $3 and up.

I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Wow, nice collection there. Do you have your bait in notebooks and labeled? PC in notebooks and labeled and commons in boxes by year I guess? That's a pretty sweet collection and appears it's pretty easy to find certain stuff when needed.

Got a question for you. Do those shelves hold up pretty well with all that weight? Or do they bulge or anything? I put together base Topps sets every year and put them into notebooks. I am trying to find the best storage shelf for them. I built one using 1 inch wood (1x12x8 for each shelf). I just haven't put a ton of weight on them.

(03-20-2014, 11:14 AM)zeprock Wrote: I store my PC in binders. I pick up any binders I can get. Usually cheap ones at WalMart. I use 1" - 4" binders. Make sure you don't overfill them though because they will damage the cards next to the rings. The binders pictured here hold cards valued at under $3. I have nicer binders in the safe that hold cards valued at $3 and up.

Pretty cool to have them in only one place, my binders are all over the place, some in a shelf in my room, others inside my closet and a few more in another closet in some other room!!!
As to the initial question I have some binders made for cards and others that Ive just picked up,all sizes. Ive found that the ultra pro ones hold a little more pages than the others but I have no idea of how many pages I have in them.
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

I use 3" binders for my mini sets and most of them can fit in one binder when I use the 20 card mini sheets. If I have a good amount of the NNO set in pages I have to separate and use 2 binders because the 4 mini sets plus the inserts becomes too much for one 3" binder. If you are going to store them right side up be sure that they are compact as that gives the sheets more support and they don;t sag as much. It is ideally better to store them laying flat but it makes it a lot more difficult to easily grab the one you need (which almost always is the one on the bottom of the pile)
FWIW, I would go with the 15 card mini sheets, they are better at holding them as the 20 counts the tip of the card sticks out just a tiny bit.
[Image: DSCN0182.jpg]
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

(03-20-2014, 11:22 AM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: Wow, nice collection there. Do you have your bait in notebooks and labeled? PC in notebooks and labeled and commons in boxes by year I guess? That's a pretty sweet collection and appears it's pretty easy to find certain stuff when needed.

Got a question for you. Do those shelves hold up pretty well with all that weight? Or do they bulge or anything? I put together base Topps sets every year and put them into notebooks. I am trying to find the best storage shelf for them. I built one using 1 inch wood (1x12x8 for each shelf). I just haven't put a ton of weight on them.
My commons trade bait are in the boxes across the bottom row. Any card valued at $1 or more is in a penny sleeve. My star players trade bait is not pictured here. They are stored alphabetically by player in thirty 2-row boxes (like the one pictured on the second to the bottom row underneath the blue box). All of my $1+ stars trade bait are in toploaders and all my less than $1 stars are in penny sleeves in those boxes. $5+ trade bait are in similar boxes in my safe.

I collect every Hall of Famer and many potential HOFers so that's a lot of different players. I have 1 - 3 binders for each PC player I collect and all cards are stored chronologically in the pages. For example, my Jeter collection consists of one binder on the shelf of under $3 cards and two binders in the safe (a 1" and a 3") with more valuable cards. My commons are in boxes designated by year with any card valued at $1 or more in penny sleeves.

As you can see the shelves are very sturdy and do not bow or sag at all. I bought them at Sam's Club for under $100 each six or seven years ago and they've been great for holding that amount of weight.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

I store in 2 and 1.5 inch binders, once the binders are almost to max capacity I make a slip cover out of bubble wrap and slide it over all the sheets so it becomes one unit - helps with storing and also makes quick if I need to move for shipping.

(03-20-2014, 11:22 AM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: Wow, nice collection there. Do you have your bait in notebooks and labeled? PC in notebooks and labeled and commons in boxes by year I guess? That's a pretty sweet collection and appears it's pretty easy to find certain stuff when needed.

sweet card collection but i'm more interested in that gun safe....lol. what sweet toys do you have in there? I have over 20 guns/rifles myself. nothing high end but a couple of sweet .223 ar/.22 s&w mp 15 rifles. im sure up there in maine your allowed to have a elephant gun or two?

Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

(03-20-2014, 04:05 PM)elberson Wrote: sweet card collection but i'm more interested in that gun safe....lol. what sweet toys do you have in there? I have over 20 guns/rifles myself. nothing high end but a couple of sweet .223 ar/.22 s&w mp 15 rifles. im sure up there in maine your allowed to have a elephant gun or two?
The safe is full of cards. My guns are in a separate place. Of course my biggest guns are under my shirtsleeves.

(03-20-2014, 04:34 PM)zeprock Wrote: The safe is full of cards. My guns are in a separate place. Of course my biggest guns are under my shirtsleeves.
Nice.
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]