Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Couple questions about 2008-09 O-Pee-Chee hockey

Couple questions about 2008-09 O-Pee-Chee hockey
Hi everyone,

I ripped several packs from this set, and have a few questions.

1) are the retro cards the ones with the blue border/back?
2) how can I tell the difference between the gold cards and the metal/metal X cards (and what is the difference between metal and metal X)?

I'm slowly adding the cards from these pack to my org for trading.

Thanks!

Dana

RE: Couple questions about 2008-09 O-Pee-Chee hockey
There used to be a great thread on the differences but I could not locate it with a quick search. I didn't look real good though.

Yes, the retro's are the blue bordered ones, they look like 1979-80 OPC.

Gold give off somewhat of a shine and the pic is "level" looking with the background.

Metals are a tad dark looking, kind of silverish shine. Pic of the player appears "raised" from the background.

Metal X are more Chrome Refractor looking and have like a tire tread looking appearance or "mountain tops" people called them.

Hope this helps some, these were very difficult when first released!
Go Avs Go!

I had trouble with this too. Pretty much whats been said - the Metal X's shine is like rainbowy, if that makes sense.
[Image: nemesisbanner2.gif]

Sig by tha_penguin

After Joe Thornton serial #1's

Joe Thornton PC: (515) 11.36% Joe Thornton #'d 01/xx: (37) 1.34%
Owen Nolan (260) 15.63%
Couture (37) Demers (26) Sateri (23)

AFTER: TOMAS HERTL, HARRI SATERI

I've been working on this set since they came out, and it's pretty easy to tell them apart when you know what to look for.

Retro - blue border on front, back has information contained within a frame that looks like a skate.

Gold - a refractor type. Look at the OPC logo on the front of the card. If it's got a white border, it's a gold card. If you can't tell if it's white, it's not, the white is as white as printer paper. Card will be perfectly flat.

Metal - a bit thicker card, often with a slight curve to the card, actually feels a bit like it has a metal coating. Reflective but not refractive, and the OPC logo border is silver (mirror finish).

Metal-X - like the Metal card, but refractive. May or may not have the "mountain peaks" background that Stastny26avs mentions above - if they are there, it's a definite give-away for a Metal-X, if not, check the logo, a refractor card with an OPC logo bordered in silver (mirror) is a Metal-X.

The most common mistake I see is calling an update Metal-X a Gold. The update Golds (numbered 601-800) were inserted 1/hobby box, and are considerably more difficult to come by. I'm still looking for about 95 of them...
Building sets, and collecting Alex Ovechkin, Calle Johansson,
Craig Laughlin and Braden Holtby

[Image: bases.jpg]
[Image: Retros.jpg]
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches

Gold is what they would call Rainbow parallels in later years--- is a paper card.
The Metal ones are just chrome cards-- printed by the same company that prints the Topps Chrome products.

Wow. Thanks, guys! This helps tremendously!!!

A big helper is the "O-Pee-Chee" logo itself. The white bordered logo is Gold, the metallic bordered logo is Metal, and the Metal with Xes/Diamond pattern is Metal X.
Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com