`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Montee Ball's time to shine?

RE: Montee Ball's time to shine?
(01-20-2014, 07:08 AM)branesergen Wrote: I've never understood how people can pay $400 for a rookie auto /5 when you can get a 4 time MVP (about to be 5 time), 3 Super Bowl appearance with 1 SB win (about to be 2) NFL record holder for most TD's in a season AND passing yards, one of the best to ever play the games 1/1 autos for $100 less. You can even get the 2nd best QB's auto in Brady for less. Just never understood it lol
That's an easy one to answer....because they can! Now should they is another discussion all together.

Most people's point of reference is around their own age and events that happened in there lifetime.

I sell a lot of stuff to young guys in the military. What player is important for a 13 or 14 year old future soldier (or anyone else for that matter) may not be the same at 18, 19, 20, 21 or so when they have money to burn. That's the stock market, 401K and lottery to them.

They are also closer in age to these younger players and may have grown up watching them in college on into the Pros.

A lot of our fellow collectors weren't alive or were infants and toddlers when Peyton was at Tennessee! Think about that for a second.

Why doesn't John Elway, Marino or Jim Kelly autos cost more? Because, despite their greatness, these are the young collector's dad's QBs and legends. Ouch.

Plus a lot are not in this for the long haul.

As one who has overpaid for these rookies....I do it because I am particular about what I buy and limit it to low numbered sets that may never come around again. I appreciate being able to pick up some greats from the 1970's-1990's much cheaper now than I would have when they played.

There's a Russell Wilson base Certified FF Rookie auto on line right now. There are several hundreds of those out there. This one was graded a BGS 10. Why anyone would pay the asking price of around $1300 makes no sense because there are so many ungraded and 9.5's out there and there are so many better Wilson autos than the base Certified Rookie.

(01-20-2014, 11:00 AM)phinzphan1372 Wrote: Go Montee!

only auto of his I have...

[Image: CB97E92B-5F49-4EB7-9DCB-A01EAF930549-313...83aee4.jpg]
Very nice card! Too bad you didn't get a little more color in the patch! I LOVE his signature though!

(01-20-2014, 11:38 AM)melcmd Wrote: That's an easy one to answer....because they can! Now should they is another discussion all together.

Most people's point of reference is around their own age and events that happened in there lifetime.

I sell a lot of stuff to young guys in the military. What player is important for a 13 or 14 year old future soldier (or anyone else for that matter) may not be the same at 18, 19, 20, 21 or so when they have money to burn. That's the stock market, 401K and lottery to them.

They are also closer in age to these younger players and may have grown up watching them in college on into the Pros.

A lot of our fellow collectors weren't alive or were infants and toddlers when Peyton was at Tennessee! Think about that for a second.

Why doesn't John Elway, Marino or Jim Kelly autos cost more? Because, despite their greatness, these are the young collector's dad's QBs and legends. Ouch.

Plus a lot are not in this for the long haul.

As one who has overpaid for these rookies....I do it because I am particular about what I buy and limit it to low numbered sets that may never come around again. I appreciate being able to pick up some greats from the 1970's-1990's much cheaper now than I would have when they played.

There's a Russell Wilson base Certified FF Rookie auto on line right now. There are several hundreds of those out there. This one was graded a BGS 10. Why anyone would pay the asking price of around $1300 makes no sense because there are so many ungraded and 9.5's out there and there are so many better Wilson autos than the base Certified Rookie.

You make a good point in the age range. I grew up watching Elway, Marino, Peyton, Rice, Sanders and all the other greats of that era and they are who I tend to gravitate towards. I do like the occasional rookie and watching an explosive player now tends me to want a card or 2 of them or even a small collection but no where near $400 for a card.

I totally get the set building. I can appreciate someone who builds them knowing the cost has got to be astronomical with todays prices.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

That all makes sense. I tend to gravitate towards those players that I know since I've really gotten into football. Around 1996 I knew some of the packers, and really liked Favre. It wasn't until I got older that I learned more about other teams/players, and just over the last 3 years paid more attention to college football. So my interests/collections do tend towards the guys I enjoy watching, especially when it comes to rookies. Didn't really think about it that way.

(01-20-2014, 07:08 AM)branesergen Wrote: I've never understood how people can pay $400 for a rookie auto /5 when you can get a 4 time MVP (about to be 5 time), 3 Super Bowl appearance with 1 SB win (about to be 2) NFL record holder for most TD's in a season AND passing yards, one of the best to ever play the games 1/1 autos for $100 less. You can even get the 2nd best QB's auto in Brady for less. Just never understood it lol
Well said! Don't get me wrong i like ball but rc autos going for more than HOFers and future HOFers is just crazy!
[Image: mooncricket916.jpg]

Every year rookie cards are over valued because there are so many people now that are doing player only collections. I myself collect one player from every draft class that I like so I have to compete for his rare autos when they come out because it's about having every card of theirs. Alot is collectors are speculating like in baseball. Imagine if you collected some 6th rounder from Michigan or some small clean cut kid drafted to be maybe be a Seahawk backup QB if he made the team and could see over the line. You would have paid a couple of bucks for their autos and now you would have a down payment on a house. QBs, WRs, and RBs are where the money in is because of fantasy football. Everyone is looking for the next Puig, Lin, or Trout the next huge player craze. If Ball next year becomes the starter and has a huge year than that $400 sounds like a good deal because it'll be worth what ever you ask if you have his rare cards.

(01-23-2014, 02:20 AM)durfeecoach1 Wrote: Every year rookie cards are over valued because there are so many people now that are doing player only collections. I myself collect one player from every draft class that I like so I have to compete for his rare autos when they come out because it's about having every card of theirs. Alot is collectors are speculating like in baseball. Imagine if you collected some 6th rounder from Michigan or some small clean cut kid drafted to be maybe be a Seahawk backup QB if he made the team and could see over the line. You would have paid a couple of bucks for their autos and now you would have a down payment on a house. QBs, WRs, and RBs are where the money in is because of fantasy football. Everyone is looking for the next Puig, Lin, or Trout the next huge player craze. If Ball next year becomes the starter and has a huge year than that $400 sounds like a good deal because it'll be worth what ever you ask if you have his rare cards.
Very true

The other side of the coin and my main reason for trying not to buy rookies - notice I said try lol

If next year Ball spends half the season on the bench with hamstring issues or turf toe or starts to fumble ala Hillman then what of the $400 card?
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...ith-injury

Xrays are negative ----Moreno is Day to Day. He WILL be on the Field against the seahawks so yeah Ball still will be #2......
[Image: PeytonVolsBannerAbsoluteFinal.png]

http://s1146.photobucket.com/albums/o528...Garretson/
Peyton Manning, Zac Dysert, and UT Vols