`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2006 Topps Allen & Ginter ALEX RODRIGUEZ Unripped RIP Card PROMO PP-1

2006 Topps Allen & Ginter ALEX RODRIGUEZ Unripped RIP Card PROMO PP-1
I am trying to find out some info about this card. I recently purchased a copy but now that I am looking at it I see that it is a "promo" copy. I did a little research online and found a few old websites and message boards mentioning that it was a promo copy of the card that was given out to dealers. Can anyone confirm this?

Also does it or does it not have a Ginter mini in it and is that card part of the set or just a promo card? I am interested since this was the first year of Ginter rip cards and it if it have some kind of possible limited edition mini ginger card does that card have any value.

I would appreciate any help in researching this.

Thank you

Apparently this card was an exclusive to dealers and if you rip it you get a mini Mantle card that was exclusive to this Rip card. I love finding out the answers to my own questions.

RE: 2006 Topps Allen & Ginter ALEX RODRIGUEZ Unripped RIP Card PROMO PP-1
They aren't fantastically rare and yes it does have a promo rip card mini inside. I think the only one it will contain will be a Mickey Mantle with the number PP2. It looks exactly like the real Mantle EXT mini from '06 just with the different number on back.
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

It may not be super rare, but that's a pretty sweet piece of trading card history. If we know what's inside, I wouldn't rip it. I doubt Topps knew how popular A&G would be when they sent those promo cards out, it's really become another staple.

I wish they could use the same creativity from that time to create something new now. They seem to think that it's popular because of the retro design, but I think it's the quirkiness as much as anything. The rip card you have is the granddaddy of quirkiness and a big part of the reason for the success of Topps over the last eight years.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

(01-06-2014, 01:02 PM)cross4444 Wrote: It may not be super rare, but that's a pretty sweet piece of trading card history. If we know what's inside, I wouldn't rip it. I doubt Topps knew how popular A&G would be when they sent those promo cards out, it's really become another staple.

I wish they could use the same creativity from that time to create something new now. They seem to think that it's popular because of the retro design, but I think it's the quirkiness as much as anything. The rip card you have is the granddaddy of quirkiness and a big part of the reason for the success of Topps over the last eight years.
It looks like next year will have mini rip cards though I can't imagine the size of the mini inside, so yeah, it is getting old and stale but it has such a following that killing off the brand would be a very dumb business move. Hopefully 2014 shows something on the innovation front (I am personally excited to see what the metal mini's will look like)

Pete did you say metal minis, I think my double rip said something about them in them last year, but never did see them. Plus if they did the metal cards wouldn't you be able to use a metal detector on them?

I'm pretty sure I read on the piece that had in Beckett about the preview of '14 A&G. I would guess you could use a metal detector on them but they also release a bunch of other stuff with metal in it that people are already doing this, now they can add A&G to stuff they search Smile

Maybe they'll put Topps Micro cards inside the mini rip cards...
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

I'm almost positive they were handed out at the 2006 Hawaii trade conference. I remember having one.