`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some More Basic Questions...

Some More Basic Questions...
Got some other questions that have come up in the last several days.

Questions regarding “Headler Lines” section when looking at a particular set on Beckett (Just for reference, right now I am looking at the 2010 Bowman Chrome Draft set:

1- What exactly is considered (or defines) a “common card”? Is a rookie card, with or without the “RC” attribute applied by the Beckett website, actually a common card? Or since it is a rookie card of a player, does that give it some other distinction from cards that are “common”?

2- In the “Header Lines” section, I see a few line items saying “Minor Stars”, “Semistars”, and “Unlisted Stars”. What are these referring to, and what are the requirements for a player/card to meet to be placed in one of those three levels.

Other questions:

1- While looking up some baseball cards in some sets, I have seen the word “multipliers” used in the “Set Information” area. It would say something like affecting the “multipliers listed below”. What are the multipliers, and what are they used for or what do they affect?

2- I have seen some folks on here refer to a website called Blowout Cards. I went there and saw that they have discussion forums just like this. I also noticed that they have a “shop” where they sell boxes and all that. Is that a pretty trustworthy site to buy boxes or cases from in regards to pricing, and more importantly, integrity? I ask this because I have seen posts on here and other places that warn that online sites that sell boxes and cases sometimes will end up pulling the key sought after cards and then sell the rest. Any further guidance on this site, or any others?

3- Yesterday, I got a box of 2013 Bowman Platinum baseball cards for Christmas. Don’t know if it is considered a “blaster” box, a box, or whatever lol (it is the one that had like “7 packs + 1 pack, and also says one autograph in every 5 boxes”). Anyway, I pulled an Addison Russell (card #BPAP-AR) autograph card. As far as I can tell, it is from the 2013 Bowman Platinum Prospect Autographs Green Refractors set. I came to the conclusion that it was from the Green Refractors set because the card is numbered 126/399, which the Green Refractors was the only set that was numbered to 399.

Anyway, I added it to my Organize on here, and went back to the card’s page to look at more info about it. A little above the bottom of each card page, I see a section in the middle that is labeled “C2C Xchange”. I gather that it shows how many folks “Have” and “Want” whatever card the card is (I see this on every card I look at), and it gives a link to “Start xChange” with someone. The card I listed above only shows one person that has it.

I was wondering why my username hasn’t popped up on there has having one. Do I need have some sort of special membership on Beckett (such as a “dealer” status), or maybe do I need to do something in particular such as listing it as tradable in my Organize for me to show up as having the card? Not really a major deal, but I was just curious about this for when I do finally get into actually trading cards on here.

That is it for now lol. Thanks for any info.

RE: Some More Basic Questions...
Answer to #3---The haves tab in C2C you are referring to only shows those traders that have that card marked for trade. If you have it in your organize just marked as a have it will not show, if you mark it for trade it will show in the tab. Initially confusing I agree but it is a trade tab so it is meant to show only the people who have it to trade.

Opinion on #1--Common Card is any card of non stars, so yes a Rookie of a nobody is a common card, as well as cards of some star players depending on the era of the card (mass produced vs recent vs vintage)
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

RE: Some More Basic Questions...
These days, almost every base card since 1986 that is not a rookie of a superstar, is pretty much a common card. The days of "superstars" booking for $0.50-$2 and minor stars around $0.25-$0.35 are gone. Now it's pretty much all or nothing. People bust packs in shops now and leave everything but the hits on the counter and walk out.

All of the star levels basically referred to the popularity of the players. These days, guys like Pujols, Prince and Verlander would be superstars. R.A. Dickey, Adam Jones and B.J. Upton would be minor stars. Everyone else is just in the common $0.05 bin.

Once upon a time, back in the land of 1988 Donruss, Don Mattingly was booking for $1.75, the Mark Grace rookie was $5 and Gregg Jefferies was pushing $10. Commons were all listed at something like $0.03, and Beckett's listings would include maybe 80 cards in the set with prices in-between. Now that whole set is nothing but commons, and can be had for around $8 (or less).

As to Blowout, the actual store part of the site has plenty of credibility. They rank among the top online card retailers. The forum, not quite so credible. There are plenty of good people there, but they have about the most lax rule enforcement, so there are also plenty of bad people who manage to burn quite a few people before being kicked. Blowout Forums is usually the last place they go after being banned by all the other sites.
http://clydes-stalecards.blogspot.com
Looking for SF Giants fanfest cards of Hensley Meulens and Roberto Kelly