`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Griffey Upper Deck PSA 10 really???

Griffey Upper Deck PSA 10 really???
i was just shopping through some griffey upper deck bgs 9.5's and psa 10's on ebay and was wondering why psa 10 sold for about 65% more, about $100 more than BGS 9.5 and i noticed this psa 10... how is that a psa 10 with that centering and 2 chunks of the hologram missing...?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Upper-Deck-...7675.l2557

RE: Griffey Upper Deck PSA 10 really???
Grading is silly unless it's vintage.
[Image: Icons-sig-2-1.gif]

(09-07-2013, 09:39 AM)akbobcat Wrote: Grading is silly unless it's vintage.
I don't mean to be contrary but. I had to look the term "Vintage" up (Because it's thrown a lot" and found out something pretty surprising:
Vintage is considered to be items that are at least 20 years old. At this point, anything from the 80s and 70s would be considered to be vintage. It is antique when it is at least 50 years old, so at this point (2012) anything from 1962 and later.
Pretty cool huh? I guess it's a matter of interpretation or collecting preference. whether collecting for an investment or for the enjoyment of the hobby.

PSA is having an issue with people counterfitting the tags and holders, and using the numbers from cards already graded.

BGS provides better casing and better protection. I also feel better about there being less counterfeit BGS cards. If people are paying more for the PSA that's on them, I would actually pay more for a BGS one.

sorry beckett but psa is more liked.......Sad
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

(09-07-2013, 09:55 AM)rhmitp1 Wrote: I don't mean to be contrary but. I had to look the term "Vintage" up (Because it's thrown a lot" and found out something pretty surprising:
Vintage is considered to be items that are at least 20 years old. At this point, anything from the 80s and 70s would be considered to be vintage. It is antique when it is at least 50 years old, so at this point (2012) anything from 1962 and later.
Pretty cool huh? I guess it's a matter of interpretation or collecting preference. whether collecting for an investment or for the enjoyment of the hobby.
That is worthy to know. I always considered 20 year old items as classic, not too common, but not yet rare. Griff's RC is about the only card I would invest in for a graded investment. The older "vintage" Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, and other greats are the cards I'd send off for grading/slabbing. I'd mainly be interested in having them slabbed for protection.

I buy and sell comic books a lot. I can see yellowing of pages and I know if they came from a collector who used boards and bags. I see sellers trying to sell off their modern graded 9.2 and 9.4 modern books for a lot of money. I can still buy the raw versions for a 1/3 of the money, then pay for grading, and still have money left over. I believe in having collectibles graded but to me it should have significant value to start with or be a rare item. A $50.00 modern collectible that is very common and graded is still a $50.00 collectible to me.

I'd also not buy any modern card/comic that does not grade at least a 9. I appreciate the polite correction I should be using the term antique.

[Image: Icons-sig-2-1.gif]

For what it's worth, in baseball card collecting (at least according to Beckett), vintage means 1980 and earlier. I'm sure over time this number might change, but I think it fairly represents the distinction between the old and modern era of sports card collecting.
^ To that end, BVG, Beckett's vintage grading service, applies to pre-1981 cards.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

I prefer beckett`s grading myself-seems to be more stringent than psa