`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What exactly makes a Rookie Card a Rookie Card?

What exactly makes a Rookie Card a Rookie Card?
I know this sounds like a dumb question and I know the general definition of a rookie card but this guy's message to me left me clueless how to respond.

In the case of Ryno, he had two other cards out before 1983 so why is his Cubs the technical RC?

Other things I'm curious about.

XRC?
Minor League Cards?

Thanks.

photo ScreenShot2013-08-06at101026AM_zpse4d3bda3.png
 photo banner_zpsbab74229.jpg

RE: What exactly makes a Rookie Card a Rookie Card?
xrc is a pre-2006 construct, mostly a baseball thing (though there are a couple examples in football, basketball and hockey). it is for non-regular issue licensed sets, such as topps traded, donruss rookies, fleer update, batter up, etc. Beckett's reasoning was that a players "true" rookie card should be issued in the regular release, not a special, more limited release that is only available thru hobby shops

(the first xrc? 1934-36 Batter-Up #3 Al Lopez XRC the last? 2004 Studio #241 Yadier Molina XRC)

minor league cards arent considered rookie cards because 1. most minor league cards are not licensed 2. as above, rookie must come from regular issue sets

(08-06-2013, 12:57 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: xrc is a pre-2006 construct, mostly a baseball thing (though there are a couple examples in football, basketball and hockey). it is for non-regular issue licensed sets, such as topps traded, donruss rookies, fleer update, batter up, etc. Beckett's reasoning was that a players "true" rookie card should be issued in the regular release, not a special, more limited release that is only available thru hobby shops

(the first xrc? 1934-36 Batter-Up #3 Al Lopez XRC the last? 2004 Studio #241 Yadier Molina XRC)

minor league cards arent considered rookie cards because 1. most minor league cards are not licensed 2. as above, rookie must come from regular issue sets
Wow Josh, very thorough explanation!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(08-06-2013, 12:57 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: xrc is a pre-2006 construct, mostly a baseball thing (though there are a couple examples in football, basketball and hockey). it is for non-regular issue licensed sets, such as topps traded, donruss rookies, fleer update, batter up, etc. Beckett's reasoning was that a players "true" rookie card should be issued in the regular release, not a special, more limited release that is only available thru hobby shops

I don't think you can get a better explanation than that but the way I look at it is a person might have multiple rookie years. Just because a card was made one year and several years later would be his first year he actually plays in the majors I would consider that to be his rookie year and I am thinking most of the year not if he plays 10 games at the end of the season.

Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

I pulled a Manny Machado chrome card out of a pack of 2010 Bowman Draft.

That's his RC to me.

His 2013 "rookie cards?" Not so much.