`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Catching up on the Mail....Story time :) Inception, etc.

Catching up on the Mail....Story time :) Inception, etc.
Alright, I've been house sitting all week for my sister so I haven't been able to get to my mail. I have a lot more coming in, but this and a bunch of hockey is what was waiting for me when I got home this morning.

Away we go Smile

I got this Hernandez in a box break. Most expensive base card I've ever purchased. BLEH. I swore I won't ever do another break period! However, you'll see in a minute, I was lying Smile
[Image: hernan_zpse63d0cef.jpg]

I also got a lot of 5 1992 Topps Gold Winner Sealed Packs.
Roger Clemens All Star, Ken Griffey Jr. and a Bobby Bonilla on the front, nothing good on the back, but it's what is in between that intrigues me Smile I know there isn't much value, but it's the nostalgia that gets me. Should I bust them?

I know I said I wasn't going to do any more group breaks, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Inception. Decided to go after a team with some hits and one with not so many. My best break ever!
[Image: inception2_zps9e07ddc3.jpg][Image: inception1_zps4aae2fc6.jpg]

The Miller Jersey Auto is #'d 35/50. The Fried Auto is #'d 26/99. I did really well!

[Image: ortiz_zps48e3edaf.jpg]

The Ortiz is for my set #'d 76/99. The Tulo is #'d 87/99.

This is the last part of my mail day. I talked earlier of how my dad and I used to attend card shows together in my younger years and build base sets of Topps and Insert sets (1992 Fleer All Stars was the best chase of my life and we still have it), and had a PC of Nolan Ryan. We own every Topps and Donruss of his from 1981 on, plus a bunch more, and some Fleer and oddballs. Before the Internet, this was actually quite a nice collection. Now with the Internet I've added some older cards and will eventually complete it.

For the 1992 Topps Set there was 1 card that was highly sought after. That was the Brien Taylor RC. At that time any of his cards were selling really high. So these I picked up again, for the nostalgia of it all and to take me back to those days of walking into card shows hoping to find something great!

The funny thing about this guy is he NEVER pitched a single inning in the majors. His mother negotiated for him after she cried racism when the Yankees didn't offer him enough as a signing bonus. There are really some great articles available on the Internet.

[Image: TaylorRainbow_zpse858e113.jpg]
The Base Issue, The Gold Winner, and The Regular Gold. I'm missing one from this set and that's card #793 the gold auto version which was only available in a complete Topps Gold Factory set and #'d /12000. At card shows, sellers would buy the complete sets and put 1 or 2 in each bag. You would pay $5 for a bag and HOPE to get the Taylor auto which was selling for nearly $200 from what I can remember. Those were the days Smile

Thanks for reading my long winded post. Oh and incase you were wondering, I'm working on getting the auto in my possession very shortly Smile

[Image: h6wRomT.png]

RE: Catching up on the Mail....Story time :) Inception, etc.
great post! Thanks for the memories! I remember Brien Taylor and all the rage those cards were and how expensive the gold auto was going for at that time. Cool to see it again. What does the gold auto go for now a days?

(07-27-2013, 07:02 PM)jcanavas Wrote: great post! Thanks for the memories! I remember Brien Taylor and all the rage those cards were and how expensive the gold auto was going for at that time. Cool to see it again. What does the gold auto go for now a days?
The last one I saw get snagged on the 'bay went for about $7 shipped, aka $7 too much Smile

Awesome hits on the inception. If you ever want to trade the Franklin or zunino let me know
no org, please do not send trade requests

(07-27-2013, 07:31 PM)michaelstepper Wrote: Awesome hits on the inception. If you ever want to trade the Franklin or zunino let me know
It was a pretty good break for me. I also bought 2 "boxes" of Inception that I will be posting as soon as they get here. I took a page out of DrMitch's book and instead of actually ordering two boxes I went through and spent the same amount of money buying singles. I ended up with 6 boxes worth of cards and honestly got some good stuff.

The Franklin is being redeemed and the Zunino base auto isn't for trade. I have a sick feeling I'm going to be putting the base auto set together....that being said, the auto jersey is listed in my org.

baseballs version of ryan leaf? ha
Nice M's though love the look of these. Glad theres only one Jays player in this set.
www.northerncards.net
Bowman Set Collector
Blue Jays Guy
Supercollecting Jorge Saez and Jose Berrios