`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Uncollectable Star in Modern Sets

RE: Most Uncollectable Star in Modern Sets
(07-27-2013, 06:58 PM)zeprock Wrote: This is the only reason I buy Topps. I collect HOF players and potential HOFers. I buy the complete Topps Factory set each year and only buy packs hunting for the HOFers for my PC. I agree they have way too many of them and I get overwhelmed by all the unnecessary parallel versions and I am not opposed to them being in their own set but if not for the HOF inserts, I personally wouldn't buy more than one or two packs of Topps product. Then again I may not be the prototypical "today's collector".

I pulled a Trout HoloFoil Chasing History. I'd rather have gotten Musial, Schmidt and Clemente. Different strokes...
Then let's trade, sir! And I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone ... was trying to be deferential to the HOF collectors. I would be happy to trade all three for the Trout. PM me if you are interested, thanks!

(07-26-2013, 08:33 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I don't have one specific player, just a specific category.

Retired players.

Here's the deal ... I respect the history of baseball, and the players that played it.

I respect vintage cards ... and feel in many ways they are the "real" baseball cards.

But, it's 2013. I only want players who play in 2013.

I bought a $9.99 blister pack of Topps (hanger pack?) the other day, trying to pull one of the exclusive "foil board" Chasing History inserts of Mike Trout, my favorite PC guy these days.

These come four per blister/hanger ... and my four were Matt Cain and ...

Stan Musial, Mike Schmidt and Roberto Clemente.

Great players, Hall of Famers? Of course.

I just don't need to pull their cards in 2013 products!

If anything, with Topps currently being the monopoly it is, seems like they could do a more inclusive base set of current players (think Upper Deck 40 Man, or just what Topps used to do, LOL) and keep the legends in their own set.

They will literally sit in a box forever ... they're not "vintage," so most of the older collectors don't care about them, and they're not the hot new rookie or current star, so the majority of the younger collectors don't care about them, either.

And when the exclusives come in a limited number per pack/box or whatever, I sure as h-ll don't want them getting in the way of players I actually collect.
I don't know I actually like some of the older players and them being in sets. As A royal fan I like pulling a base Brett card.

(07-29-2013, 08:09 PM)nol84kc Wrote: I don't know I actually like some of the older players and them being in sets. As A royal fan I like pulling a base Brett card.
To each his own, definitely.

I just wish they had their own sets, just my preference.

Now, having trashed Topps' inclusion of retired players in modern sets, I was pretty stoked to pull this not long ago:

[Image: WillieMays_zps8bc69d0f.jpg]

(07-29-2013, 09:59 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: To each his own, definitely.

I just wish they had their own sets, just my preference.

Now, having trashed Topps' inclusion of retired players in modern sets, I was pretty stoked to pull this not long ago:

[Image: WillieMays_zps8bc69d0f.jpg]
I'm with you on the abundance of retired players. Although if Topps limited it to Serial #'d relics like this and more specialized inserts/SP's/hard to pull items that would be awesome. There are just TOO MANY of them in insert sets etc... Overkill!

Bob Gibson is a player that I pull all the time... Oh, and if Bob Feller is in a set and I buy a pack or two... Odds are I'm getting it.

PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

(07-29-2013, 11:30 PM)petillo64 Wrote: I'm with you on the abundance of retired players. Although if Topps limited it to Serial #'d relics like this and more specialized inserts/SP's/hard to pull items that would be awesome. There are just TOO MANY of them in insert sets etc... Overkill!

Bob Gibson is a player that I pull all the time... Oh, and if Bob Feller is in a set and I buy a pack or two... Odds are I'm getting it.
LOL ... my personal "legend" is Frank Robinson, I literally pull him in some form about half of the time I bust something.

A couple of weeks ago I bought an overpriced blaster of 2012 Topps Update from Toys R Us, hoping to pull some Trouts/Harpers.

The free commemorative patch was ... Frank Robinson.

I actually laughed out loud when I pulled it.

I believe Topps isn't able to feature a set of just retired players because of something in their contract.