`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COMC or Ebay?

COMC or Ebay?
At the moment I am selling on COMC and I guess I like it because I do not have to deal with shipping, packaging, etc but there seems to be more action on E-bay than at COMC. I am torn between the two and I haven't done a fee comparison yet but I have read posts from sellers and they say COMC is better with fees.

I am still torn between the two. I have some items listed here at Beckett but they are keeps and although I read every day that BV means nothing these days I still like to know the BV. I am also told that some of the cards I have in my inventory here should be on the bay but they are keeps for now but who knows what I'll decide to do down the line.

I would appreciate any feedback on COMC and the bay. What do you prefer and why?

Thank you,

Joe

RE: COMC or Ebay?
For that exact reason, fixed fees and I don't have to do any work I prefer COMC

Depends what you're selling. Cards in the $1 to $15 range, I prefer COMC for the easiness. Cards over that I throw on Ebay so that I get the money asap with a little less fees.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

agree with the above poster. Ebay for higher end stuff say $50 or higher and COMC for the lower end stuff and base singles.

I just collect all my duplicates and singles through out the year then send in one big shipment at the end of the year. I will mark most of them in the $.10-$.20 range and they sell fairly quickly.

(07-15-2013, 11:54 AM)chevy man 22 Wrote: agree with the above poster. Ebay for higher end stuff say $50 or higher and COMC for the lower end stuff and base singles.

I just collect all my duplicates and singles through out the year then send in one big shipment at the end of the year. I will mark most of them in the $.10-$.20 range and they sell fairly quickly.
Your losing money if you're selling them for .10-.20 cents each since COMC charges .20 cents to scan the cards. Add in their 20% fees and you're losing 4 cents on each card you sell if they sell for .20 cents each.

David is right, except that they usually charge $.25/card for processing now. By marking it at $.30 you're breaking even not including the cost to ship it in.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

I try not to send in those below 30 cent cards to COMC for that reason, because you lose money on the deal. I was talking to someone else on this site about selling those commons in team sets on the bay or I may just list them here and mark them for trade. I have a ton of cards to go through though so it will take me awhile for sure.

I intend to donate all my commons below .50. With the quantities I'm dealing with, it's not worth the hassle to try and trade/sell them. Plus if I wanted to I could donate them at BV. However, for ease of processing, I donate everything .15 and below at .05/card. .20-.40 at .25/card. Considering the hassle I'm saving, not worried about the few cents I might be losing doing it another way.

I'll tell you that from my perspective (as mainly a buyer), I'm DONE with COMC. Here are the reasons why:

1) As a seller, it takes forever to sell cards, all the while being nickel and dimed for processing, storage, etc., etc.

2) As a seller, you are constantly bombarded with lowball offers somewhere around 5% of BV.

3) As a buyer, I have a heck of a time getting sellers to actually accept 20% of BV, which is my usual offer.

4) The site is loaded with cards that are so overpriced that you wonder if the seller is actually trying to sell the card or just have COMC store it for them.

5) There is no way for buyers and sellers to communicate. There was a card that was priced at $26.99. I made an offer of $18 for it. The seller rejected the offer and promptly re-priced the card at $58. There is no way for us to communicate to find out what the heck is going on.

6) Finally, if you ever add store credit, you'd better spend it or kiss 20% of it goodbye. That's another reason why selling was so difficult for me. I will never understand why they get to keep 20% of my money. As a seller, I paid my fees in the form of processing and storage fees. As a buyer, I paid my fees in the form of shipping fees. Why then do they get to keep 20%? I think it's just a deterrent to having people actually pull their money out of COMC.

If you're not wanting the actual cash for selling cards, then maybe COMC is for you. If you do want cash, the avoid COMC at all costs.

Sorry, I know this probably seems like a pointless rant, but I just wish this hobby wasn't all about someone trying to make a quick buck off of someone else.
[Image: BRANDONcopy_zpsd5fbbe0f.png]

Special thanks to "DB" for the banner

(08-01-2013, 03:16 PM)brandonstubblefield Wrote: 6) Finally, if you ever add store credit, you'd better spend it or kiss 20% of it goodbye. That's another reason why selling was so difficult for me. I will never understand why they get to keep 20% of my money. As a seller, I paid my fees in the form of processing and storage fees. As a buyer, I paid my fees in the form of shipping fees. Why then do they get to keep 20%? I think it's just a deterrent to having people actually pull their money out of COMC.
COMC is a consignment service and as such has costs beyond merely listing your cards. If you shop around you'll realize that most consignment services charge well in excess of this percentage. For example, the typical percentage charged by the Sell Your Item On EBay stores is 35-40%.

I'm also unsure how you are getting 5% of BV offers unless you have cards priced at 10% to begin with since offers on COMC cannot be less than half the asking price.

I don't mean to pick on you but it also seems a little shortsighted to say things are overpriced because you can't buy them at 20% of book value.

As someone who operates on both I can tell you that I would much rather give COMC 20% when I sell something for 400% of what it sells for on eBay and not have to package it and ship it and wait around hoping the buyer doesn't claim a flaw or try to claim they didn't get it. I'll do that every minute of every day.