`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Card Show in close to 20 years! Thank You MrSwankTank! Pics!

First Card Show in close to 20 years! Thank You MrSwankTank! Pics!
Well guys I attended my first card show since I was about 10 or 11 years old. I'll be 31 next week. I took my dad with me down to Taylor, Michigan and was surprised by the amount of dealers. Thank you to MrSwankTank for letting me know about the show!

Anyway, here is what I picked up. If the cards look terribly off centered it's because my scanner for whatever reason likes to cut off edges and I didn't feel like rescanning.

Here we go Smile

[Image: 2_zps4ad9781b.jpg]

I got all of these out of a 7 for $5 bin. 2008 Derek Jeter Hit Parade Mini, 2013 Gyspy Queen Blue Prince Fielder #'d 215/499, these are 1 per box as far as I know, so I think I got a good one here, and then 2013 Mike Trout Mini. No idea what set it's from, but it's a Trout and it's a mini.

The Jeter and Trout are centered, they just didn't get picked up by my scanner.

[Image: 1_zpsf95b2d65.jpg]

These were the remaining 4 I picked up out of the same bin. The Pujols RC is one of the reprints. The other Pujols is serial #'d 18/25. Don't care what card it is, you give me something serial #'d /25 for less than a buck, I'm taking it. 1987 Fleer Bo Jackson RC. I just needed another card and Bo Knows. The Spring Fever Griffey was just a neat card. Not sure where it's from, but hey it's cool Smile

[Image: yes_zps176b5f53.jpg]

These I found searching through a vintage box. Talk about fun!

1981 Kellogs 3-D Super Stars Nolan Ryan. I paid $1.50 for this. Never seen one, and it's one of the coolest cereal cards I've ever seen.

1984 Fleer Nolan Ryan. One of the few 80's cards from Nolan I don't have. $2

1979 Topps Nolan Ryan and 1977 Topps Nolan Ryan.

1975 Topps Mini Brooks Robinson, 1971 Topps Brooks Robinson, 1977 Topps Brooks Robinson.

Overall I paid $27 for 14 cards. I think I did really well. Unfortunately my dad wasn't having as much fun as me, or I would have been searching for some more GEMS Smile

I had a great time!
[Image: h6wRomT.png]

RE: First Card Show in close to 20 years! Thank You MrSwankTank! Pics!
Nothing beats a local card show! There's a misconception that you can't get good deals anymore, but your post is proof against that. Plus, nothing beats handling a card in person, making personal connections and sharing stories in person!
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

I totally agree. I was able to thumb through a bunch of cards and pick them out by condition and take the ones I wanted. It was pretty cool.

Exactly! Plus, if you're like me, you could spend the entire day there. I have to constantly remind myself to keep moving so everyone can get to each booth.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

I easily could have stayed. If I went alone I would have looked through every box haha. It was nice to talk to people who actually cared about cards too Smile

Nice pickups. I really like the 2013 Gypsy Queen blue framed and the white framed retail versions as well.

FYI, the Spring Fever Griffey came from the 2013 Topps series 1 "Spring Fever" redemption cards. Take them into the LCS and get a pack of 5 cards. 50 cards in the set, most with auto variations as well. Some very cool looking cards in that set. I ended up with 8 or 9 packs but no autos.

Also FYI (because I like sharing knowledge lol) the Trout mini is also from 2013 Topps series 1, based on the 1972 Topps design. I liked the 1987 Topps wood grain version from 2012 Topps better personally but that's because 1987 was one of the first years I touched cards, whereas the 1972 Topps were before I was born and personally just don't do much for me aesthetically. The Trout mini is one of the higher BV ones from the set, you got a good deal bundled with the others in my opinion.

I haven't been to a show since I was like 10 or 11 either, and that was a very small show in Kenai, Alaska with I believe maybe 20 tables (which is a lot considering the population lol) I remember not getting to every table though as I spent a lot of time at each table and obviously I was at the mercy of the person who drove since I didn't have a license.

Thank you for the info on those cards. I figured for $5 and grabbing 7 some what unique cards I've never seen or even thought about picking up, I did pretty well. My favorites are the vintage though.

I would have stayed much longer and wanted to, but I could tell my dad wanted to leave. Next time, I'll go alone.

Cool pickups man. If your interested I'd trade for the griffey
no org, please do not send trade requests

Glad you had a good time man! I went Friday and found a couple things. Picked up a Julio Teheran Bowman Chrome auto for 1.50. I was mainly on the lookout for Stan Musial stuff, but everyone was wiped clean.

Almost pulled the trigger on a Peyton Manning auto mini helmet but just couldn't do it.
[Image: MusialCastrobanner.png][Image: 1958Castro.png]

(07-13-2013, 08:16 PM)MrSwankTank21 Wrote: Glad you had a good time man! I went Friday and found a couple things. Picked up a Julio Teheran Bowman Chrome auto for 1.50. I was mainly on the lookout for Stan Musial stuff, but everyone was wiped clean.

Almost pulled the trigger on a Peyton Manning auto mini helmet but just couldn't do it.
I found a lot of memorabilia that I was interested in, but didn't get any. I did see a few Musials, which I normally wouldn't look for, but being on the boards, it has now come to my attention.

I was offered 3 boxes of 1991-92 OPC Premier Hockey cards for $20. I almost pulled the trigger lol. Nicklas Lidstrom's rookie year.

I'm guessing you got that $1.50 auto from the one guy in the way back that had auto's and game used for $1.50 each. I almost snagged all of the auto's just because lol.
(07-13-2013, 07:35 PM)michaelstepper Wrote: Cool pickups man. If your interested I'd trade for the griffey
I mean, I guess I could lol. I think it's worth about $300, so lets work out a deal Smile Smile Smile jk