`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Proper amount to offer on a resale?

Proper amount to offer on a resale?
Around the beginning of June there was a Drew Brees auto card I *REALLY* wanted for my collection, but adult life responsibilities outweighed the ability for a card purchase and I had to let it get away from me. It *only* wound up selling for $83.00 which really upset me (in a card sense) since I easily expected it to go for upwards of $140 or so.

The same card (it's a 1/1) just popped up on Ebay. The guy is asking $250 OBO.

I just threw him a $125 offer since that's 1.5 x what he spent for it. I'm not sure if that's an insult or not. I didn't want to go too much lower and be accused of low balling. And I'm *really* trying to keep my "nice guy" face on and not resort to linking him to the closed auction as well as my other two 1/1s from that set to illustrate I'm a collector of that player and not some guy just trying to further resell the same thing.

So do you think 1.5x is a fair offer on my part? Any other pointers you can throw at me to make a smooth negotiation?
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

RE: Proper amount to offer on a resale?
Just do as you would want someone do to you. If you can get Brees 1/1 for $125 then thats a fair offer and if he doesn't accept then he is unreasonable. I have a personal disdane for lowballers and we as collectors like to admire and think our collections are worth something so I think its in our best interest to offer fair value for them.
[Image: TotallySports.png]
Collecting Steven Jackson, Sam Bradford, Peyton Manning, Derek Jeter,Andre Ethier, Clayton Kershaw, Rickey Henderson, Kobe Bryant
http://s992.photobucket.com/user/datsyukguy/library/

if you want it, set a price that you think is reasonable. if the seller accepts then great, if not, move on or get over it. yes, the seller may never get what they are asking for, but in the end, that's their own prerogative. you can call them all the names in the world and rant about it all you want, but the seller still owns it and you don't.

for the life of me, i don't know why buyers think they know what is best for a seller. you never know what the seller's circumstances are either. maybe the seller is a collector of brees cards and will only let it go for $xx. or maybe the seller is the one now in financial trouble, just as you were a month ago, but can't let it go for what you offered. or maybe the seller doesn't need the money and is willing to wait until a better offer comes along. or maybe, just maybe, that in the month since you passed up on the sale, the card actually transferred hands again, and the buyer actually paid more than what you thought he/she paid for it.

bottom line is, the card market is based upon what people are willing to buy and sell for...and it's all up to them to decide to make a deal or not. but getting upset and ranting about a seller because he/she won't go with what YOU think is a great offer, is pointless and only ends up making enemies.

honestly, a Drew Brees 1/1 auto for $250 should find a buyer soon ..... don't sweat the past as they say "it's only cardboard" Wink

"I easily expected it to go for upwards of $140 or so" If you can afford it then that should be your offer. If you truly felt it was worth $140 then end up there. One of the best things you can try to do is communicate with the seller and see where he stands.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

Appreciate everyone's individual take on it. He and I were able to work out a deal for a little more than I wanted to spend but we worked it out without any banter beyond numbers.

(07-07-2013, 09:04 PM)branesergen Wrote: "I easily expected it to go for upwards of $140 or so" If you can afford it then that should be your offer. If you truly felt it was worth $140 then end up there. One of the best things you can try to do is communicate with the seller and see where he stands.
It's funny how it worked out that this is the # we agreed on with shipping

Hobby instagram

Congrats. It's nice to see someone get something like that for pc.
[Image: AllthingsOregon2copy.jpg]

congrats! lets see this bad boy
[Image: 9F306E21-7461-40F2-9F1D-AECEC32DB0F3-305...10b87e.jpg]

Drew Brees
True RC 66/66 (100%)
2001 323/359 (90%) AU - 64 Mem - 76
Total AU - 127

(07-07-2013, 09:31 PM)brentboudreaux1 Wrote: congrats! lets see this bad boy
You're the reason I had to pull the trigger quick, fast, and in a hurry lol Smile

I'll post a scan once it is in hand.

Hobby instagram

Glad to see it worked out for you. I have the same issues with this one Ebayer over 2 cards. Both 1/1's Lower tier player no where nere Brees level. He paid $45 on one and $65 on the other. He wants $250 a piece. Which is way more then I am willing to pay. if only he was more like your seller.
[Image: cbeg-2.jpg]
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/Da...or%20Sale/
Chris Henry Collection Items:811/423 MEM:307/152 AUTO:395/175 Ser #'d:711/343 RC:38/37