`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back after 20 years - collecting again!

Back after 20 years - collecting again!
I think I blacked out during the 90's and 2000's. When I came too there were insert, memorabilia and autographs on everything... WHAT HAPPENED?

Hi forum-folks - I've been back collecting for a few months now and have reinforced my collection to a point where I'm not even sure what to do with my stuff anymore. I know my wife wants to kill me so I know I'm doing something right!

I collected heavily in the 80's when I was a kid and used to go to auctions with my Dad picking up older cards. I'd really like to get to know some folks, get back into trading and basically refining my collection into something that I'm really proud of... right now, I just have a collection that, according to Beckett is work over $35,000 on paper but probably worth about $1,000 to someone on eBay Smile.

I do know that I like building sets and moving them out for other things that I really like - like Ted Williams, 1940 Play Ball and 1949/50 Bowman.

Would any of you generous folks be interested in taking a gander at my collection (which I believe i public) and letting me know your opinion in a PM? THAT would be awesome. I don't know anyone else in my world that collects so the only opinion I have... is my own!

Thanks in advance everyone!
I am a set builder and collect Ted Williams.
Current Projects:

1940 Play Ball: 105/240
1953 Topps: 168/274
1960 Topps: 447/642 (includes WB versions)
1969 Topps: 596/696 (includes alternate versions)
2013 Topps Archives: 592/X Cards

RE: Back after 20 years - collecting again!
Welcome back to the addiction Smile

Took a quick look and sent you a PM.

welcome back also
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

Welcome back.....enjoy!
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

I just had a chance to check out your collection, very nice vintage
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

Wow, you almost escaped alive ... but got sucked right back in. Smile
Welcome back!!
It's more fun now than in the late 80's. I took a 20+ year hiatus, and got sucked back into it about 2-3 years ago. It's more fun than ever before. This site makes it a little more rewarding, too. Good group of folks on this forum. Have fun!!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Thanks all and thanks for those who took a peek and sent me a note - very helpful and complimentary.

Yeah... I should have stayed away I think - now everything is so shiny. I pulled a 2013 Bowman Black 6/25 AU Brian Goodwin the other day... it's things like that which cause me to empty my wallet over and over again.

I'm still in the process of listing my cards on the organize site. I have most of it on there I think. I'm going through my 1940's and older now and making sure I didn't miss anything. Smile I got 14 very high quality 1949 Bowman from a set-break at a live auction. I'm thinking about getting them graded since they look really nice but I don't think I care to be honest... should I be caring that type of stuff? I keep reading and I get both sides of the argument... people who collect just to get people they like don't care - people trying to sell and be involved - seem to care a lot.
I am a set builder and collect Ted Williams.
Current Projects:

1940 Play Ball: 105/240
1953 Topps: 168/274
1960 Topps: 447/642 (includes WB versions)
1969 Topps: 596/696 (includes alternate versions)
2013 Topps Archives: 592/X Cards

(06-10-2013, 06:18 PM)habenjero Wrote: I got 14 very high quality 1949 Bowman from a set-break at a live auction. I'm thinking about getting them graded since they look really nice but I don't think I care to be honest... should I be caring that type of stuff? I keep reading and I get both sides of the argument... people who collect just to get people they like don't care - people trying to sell and be involved - seem to care a lot.
That pretty much sums it up, if you're trying to maximize a sale or trading with a 'grade collector', get them graded, if not ... who really cares if it's an 8, 9, 10 .. whatever.
Post some pics of those '49 Bowmans ... I sure would like to see them.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Just took a look, great vintage collection. I would love to see scans of those
[Image: Boston.jpg]

happy to have a new member. welcome!!!