`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pissed at the Grade My Card Got

Pissed at the Grade My Card Got
I haven't gotten a card graded in a long time but pulled a 2012 Bowman Chrome Tony Cingrani Blue Refractor.

First of all I did the 10-day service and of course Beckett took all 10 days, including no weekends to get my card graded.

I literally pulled the card from the pack, put it in protective casing and sent it to them to get graded.

I look at the Pop report today and the card was graded a 7.5. Why?

Corners-9 Edges-9.5 Surfaces-10 Autograph-10 and Centring 6.5???

How the hell can a Professional Card Company put a product in the pack knowing it's centering will be a 6.5. A 6.5 out of a product that was created in 2012!

I know it's probably not even worth it, but I am going to make sure and voice my displeasure to both Topps and Beckett because for a total of $43 for grading+shipping I think this was a huge waste of money.

Beckett Grading is a joke giving my card a 6.5, thereby downgrading it from a 9 to a 7.5!

RE: Pissed at the Grade My Card Got
How is it Beckett's fault your card had bad centering?

Just because a card is fresh from a pack doesn't mean it's automatically a 9.5. 2012 Bowman Chrome is notorious for poor centering. The only person at fault for spending $43 on grading a poorly centered card is you.
Album: Album

1997 Donruss Preferred Precious Metals
1997 Topps Gallery Gallery of Heroes

(05-13-2013, 08:26 PM)Texan1985 Wrote: How is it Beckett's fault your card had bad centering?

Just because a card is fresh from a pack doesn't mean it's automatically a 9.5. 2012 Bowman Chrome is notorious for poor centering. The only person at fault for spending $43 on grading a poorly centered card is you.
+5,714 EXACTLY
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Did you actually check out the centering before you sent it in? If the card got a 6.5, it should be noticeable to the naked eye. You paid for their evaluation and you got it. If you want and expect a Gem Mint, then send it to one of those other fly by night operations. It's not Beckett's fault, they graded what was sent to them within their specifications.

In regards to Topps, it's not up to them to care what your card will grade with a professional grading company. They produce trading cards, no grade them. Would better quality control be great? Absolutely. However, to expect every card made to come out flawless is just a ridiculous assumption.

(05-13-2013, 09:03 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Did you actually check out the centering before you sent it in? If the card got a 6.5, it should be noticeable to the naked eye. You paid for their evaluation and you got it. If you want and expect a Gem Mint, then send it to one of those other fly by night operations. It's not Beckett's fault, they graded what was sent to them within their specifications.

In regards to Topps, it's not up to them to care what your card will grade with a professional grading company. They produce trading cards, no grade them. Would better quality control be great? Absolutely. However, to expect every card made to come out flawless is just a ridiculous assumption.
I've been doing this since I was a kid, and I just don't see the point in it anymore. To me this trading card thing is just a gimmick. The one time I pull a quality card from the box and it is off center. How the hell am I supposed to tell if a card is centered or not?

I am not blaming BGS, I am more blaming Topps.

But as of today I will never buy another baseball card box or individual card ever again and I am selling off all of my current collection.

Hope Topps is happy with that.

(05-13-2013, 09:25 PM)ayalar09 Wrote: I've been doing this since I was a kid, and I just don't see the point in it anymore. To me this trading card thing is just a gimmick. The one time I pull a quality card from the box and it is off center. How the hell am I supposed to tell if a card is centered or not?

I am not blaming BGS, I am more blaming Topps.

But as of today I will never buy another baseball card box or individual card ever again and I am selling off all of my current collection.

Hope Topps is happy with that.
Measure and compare the top/bottom and left/right borders on the front and back.

I did, if I would have noticed anything wrong I wouldn't have sent it. I was so close to going back to that card show and getting a raw review done too. Oh well, I guess you live and learn.

I just wonder if I will get more for it leaving it as is, or trying to crack it open and sell the individual card on ebay.

Still very frustrating. I thought I had a real gem

(05-13-2013, 10:08 PM)ayalar09 Wrote: I just wonder if I will get more for it leaving it as is, or trying to crack it open and sell the individual card on ebay.
You'd definitely get more for it cracked out. If you search for some tips/videos on cracking a BGS holder, shouldn't be too difficult as long as you have a couple of tools (pliers/screwdriver) on hand.
Album: Album

1997 Donruss Preferred Precious Metals
1997 Topps Gallery Gallery of Heroes

(05-13-2013, 10:08 PM)ayalar09 Wrote: I did, if I would have noticed anything wrong I wouldn't have sent it. I was so close to going back to that card show and getting a raw review done too. Oh well, I guess you live and learn.

I just wonder if I will get more for it leaving it as is, or trying to crack it open and sell the individual card on ebay.

Still very frustrating. I thought I had a real gem
How about posting a picture of the card. I would like to see a card that got a 6.5 grade for centering that you say you couldn't see any centering problem.
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

(05-14-2013, 10:53 AM)dmasci Wrote: How about posting a picture of the card. I would like to see a card that got a 6.5 grade for centering that you say you couldn't see any centering problem.
+34
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!