Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
2012 Prizm Panini Pylon Auctions
Question 
2012 Prizm Panini Pylon Auctions
It seems really wrong that they are printing these 1/1 cards to make a lot of money. Feels a lot like what Feer did just before they went out of business.
 photo 7dbbff6f-c806-4600-9a7a-188e4785bb3a.jpg

RE: 2012 Prizm Panini Pylon Auctions
Topps does it with blank backs all the time or even the expo and industry summit card each of the companies make.

(05-09-2013, 01:18 AM)evanturner12 Wrote: It seems really wrong that they are printing these 1/1 cards to make a lot of money. Feels a lot like what Feer did just before they went out of business.
simple... don't buy them... problem solved... don't be a sheep... be a WOLF...
JAXON SHIPLEY SUPER COLLECTOR-PAYPAL ALWAYS AVAILABLE!!!Big Grin

I actually bought one.... funny thing is, they're in business to make money, so how is it different whether you spend 100 bucks to maybe get a 1/1 from packs, or win an auction from them and be guaranteed one? either way, they get your money. At least with these auctions, you at least you know what you're going to get. As long as they don't just start selling individual cards and stop making boxes and packs, I've got no problem with them making a little extra money by selling special one offs.

yes they are a business that needs to make a profit.

but it's like they are targeted rich collectors and only giving them a chance to own those cards
 photo 7dbbff6f-c806-4600-9a7a-188e4785bb3a.jpg

I would agree for the bigger names, like Rodgers who went for 325 bucks, but I got my Jordy Nelson for $82 shipped. A few of the gold Prizms went for more than that on the auction site, and I think the last one that was on there went for a little bit below that, and those are numbered to 10 (ETA: I guess I was wrong about that... some of those were a lot cheaper after looking at it again... How did I miss one that sold for 20 bucks????). I've seen multiple other players in the auction go for under 50 bucks, which isn't really all that bad for a really hot product and them being 1/1. You'd be paying about the same, though, for high name players other 1/1s for Prizm. Actually, just now doing a quick search, a lot of the lower name player's black prizms (1/1's also) went for quite a good penny, like the Kellen Moore black that went for 300 bucks!

I guess the reason that I'm not upset about it is that I got a chance to get a 1/1 Nelson that otherwise, I would have never seen one of. The black Nelson Prizm is in someone else's collection somewhere already, and more than likely, I'd never get the chance to even lay eyes on it. I had the chance to get the Pylon, and I got it for a reasonable price (considering the product). I may even go after the Casey Hayward or Jerel Worthy when they come around to those... It's too bad I missed the Nick Perry, because that one only went for 40 bucks.

(05-09-2013, 07:51 AM)evanturner12 Wrote: yes they are a business that needs to make a profit.

but it's like they are targeted rich collectors and only giving them a chance to own those cards
So many of these auctions have gone for 30-50 bucks. The great thing, IMO, is that we are seeing some lesser-known players create bidding wars for their pylon 1/1s. Basically, there are a TON of defensive and "non-talent" position players and veterans who may have never had a 1/1 of their own...like kickers and OTs. But there are devoted fans who collect those specific players.

This set has given all those collectors a chance to own a special card of their favorite player. Yeah, it sucks the top players are going to sell for $300-$1,000, but that's always the way it is. I can't afford RGIII or Andrew Luck either, but I still enjoy this auction.

So, when these initially started, I was really stoked about them. It seemed like the big guys were going for decent prices but the second tier guys you could get for an ok amount, and you rarely saw people bidding on a lot of items.

But, recently, I've been following the auctions, and I see 4 or 5 names show up on 90% of the auctions, basically running the price up. cub23lion20, eliscardshack, nicestjerk, and Cornholio and a few others seem to show up on almost every auction, and some of the prices were ridiculous! I mean, I was going to bid on Jerel Worthy's card if it was low enough, but it's already up to 57 bucks.

I do have to chuckle, though. Romo was bid up pretty fast, and went for something like 250 (ETA: looked it up, it only went for 100, but still), and they turned around and put it on eBay, and it didn't sell because the reserve was over the 100 bucks bid it was at LOL! (it's back up, and they had to put a graded, numbered rookie card with it, and it's still only at 113 bucks) The only one I've seen sell was the Peyton Manning, which makes sense though. Someone got the Ronde Barber and the buy it now is 1500? Jerius Wright is at 500.... Makes me even more glad that I was able to get the Nelson at 70 + shipping!!

(05-16-2013, 08:03 AM)bojesphob Wrote: But, recently, I've been following the auctions, and I see 4 or 5 names show up on 90% of the auctions, basically running the price up. cub23lion20, eliscardshack, nicestjerk, and Cornholio and a few others seem to show up on almost every auction, and some of the prices were ridiculous! I mean, I was going to bid on Jerel Worthy's card if it was low enough, but it's already up to 57 bucks.
You're not kidding, ive been noticing the same thing with the bidders. in fact they are they high bidders on a few today..I am really hoping Panini isnt raising the bids through these names...
[Image: arod.gif]

the Wilson is almost at $600!!! unreal... Panini is laughing all the way to the bank on these...
JAXON SHIPLEY SUPER COLLECTOR-PAYPAL ALWAYS AVAILABLE!!!Big Grin