`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do some graded cards book for less than ungraded in the same condition?

Why do some graded cards book for less than ungraded in the same condition?
I've often wondered how they come up with prices on graded cards. I just looked up a card someone was offering me and noticed in NRMT ungraded condition it books $350, but if it were graded a NRMT it would be $250, in ungraded condition it books for almost the same MINT as it does graded a 9.5? I see this a lot and always have been confused why this is.
If you have less than 20 feedback you're sending first.

RE: Why do some graded cards book for less than ungraded in the same condition?
Unless it's OPG errors it doesn't seem to make sense. Grading doesn't lower a value, maybe the raw & graded prices were mixd up. The opg has a 2010 J Heyward auto (blue chrome) with a BV 67% lower than the base chrome auto. The #/250 has to be worth more than the regular chrome auto. I did notify Becketts over a year ago but never changed it.
I just randomly looked up a few cards but the graded were higher.
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

Try looking up a 09 Sterling Mike Trout. There are several I can find that are like this and it just makes no sense.

I think they just added the graded pricing (in the last 1-2 years) and never bothered to check it against what was already there for the ungraded pricing
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

Yes its frustrating. I really wish they would go through and fix it. I've had cards in the past that booked for less because they were graded at or above the nongraded price and it got frustrating when people tried to get me to trade them at that price.

I believe it has to do with how the card sells. When buying an ungraded modern card everybody assumes the card is mint, so they pay so much for that item. When a card is graded nrmt everybody assumes there's something wrong with the card, and it sells accordingly. Now there's certain criteria when determining the grade of a card, and Beckett goes by that which is about 20% with modern cards. Well that's my explanation.

Don't trade with list:dorkypunkrockerguy,newbieredsfan

That's a good question but I am sure you will not get an answer for it. Guess you can also ask when 4 or 5 of the same card sells around the same time for 2 and 3 times book value why doesn't it change in the price guide my guess is there are to many cards to keep up with.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

Graded cards come from actual sales. Graded pricing for a particular card will be listed once enough sales of that card have been recorded. That is why some have graded pricing available and some do not, there has to be sufficient sales data to come up with a price. Ungraded conditional values are just based on a simple multiplier. Actual sales data will of course not be as cut and dry as a simple multiplier, so they often do not coincide.

Easy answer. Raw cards are priced once then barely ever move. Sometimes I think its just a number they pull out their behind. Graded cards they seem to track actual sales data better.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

I think part of it is because all modern cards start out at "NRMT," as a matter of default (unless there is something noticeably wrong, in which case you would self-downgrade). Of all those "NRMT" cards, the odds suggest that some of them are in fact Mint or Gem Mint. Of course, nobody can really call a raw card "Mint" or "Gem Mint." That can only be determined upon grading.

So, I think there's an element of the unknown to raw NRMT cards. Personally, I would rather buy a raw card that a scan shows to be in at least "NRMT" condition (with the hope that it might be better) rather than buy the same card that is graded 8.5. Sure, there are exceptions to this, but my preference would be to take the raw card.

Beyond this speculation, I think there's probably more merit to the fact that the OPG is not properly synced/updated.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*