`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dave Hobrecht's "GAME USED ART" is here!

RE: Dave Hobrecht's "GAME USED ART" is here!
Will you take requests for certain players? My favorite player is Paul Goldschmidt would like to get one of him. Can you pm me the details on how much, site info and if its possible? Thanks and amazing work!
[Image: drdwe0.jpg]

Wow, incorporating the dirt as sepia tones in the paintings works amazingly well!
Christy, Ty and The Babe have that warm, lifelike glow to them!
Again, I still feel that the gimmick of GU is there, while the artwork would sell like crazy just based on the merits of the art itself and the subject matter. Personally, the quality of the sand, the heritage of the clay and the origins of the silt matter little to me. It's still just plain ol'dirt. Smile
Are you selling prints or the originals?
If prints, are they "enhanced" with a layer of Stadium Dirt on each print?
If so, how stable is the infield dirt in the medium that you mixed it in? Will particles of the sand fall off over time? Will the color of the clay stay the same when exposed to incandescent or fluorescent lights over the course of time? Just wondering!
As a collector of art, the GU dirt isn't a factor. As a baseball fan, the stadium dirt has a added bonus to a piece of artwork. As a consumer, would I pay a premium for Yankee Stadium Dirt vs. Little League infield dirt? I don't think it would be a factor and again, I hate to bring down the party but I think the gimmicky-ness of it all is a bad thing, especially with the scams and problems and allegations of authentication of GU jerseys, GU bats, etc. They can't get that right, can we trust them with something so un-identifiable as dirt?
What I guess I'm trying to say, I'd buy your art without the gimmick of it being authentic, notarized, authenticated game used, player spat upon, terra firma with or without morsels of Chewing tobacco! Smile
Can't wait to see your renditions of Jeter and Mo!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I like it, and I think it's a cool concept, but there's no way I'd pay $200-$300 for a print. I could buy a really nice piece of memorabilia for that, and it would have more of a story behind it than a print copied from a painting with dirt from the field.

I wouldn't pay $2,000 for the original either, but I don't think that price is unrealistic at all, and I think you'll get someone to pay it.

Not trying to be a debbie downer, I do think your art is great and I think the concept is neat, it's just not for me.
[Image: Screenshot2012-08-02at100731PM.png]

(04-17-2013, 06:19 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Wow, incorporating the dirt as sepia tones in the paintings works amazingly well!
Christy, Ty and The Babe have that warm, lifelike glow to them!
Again, I still feel that the gimmick of GU is there, while the artwork would sell like crazy just based on the merits of the art itself and the subject matter. Personally, the quality of the sand, the heritage of the clay and the origins of the silt matter little to me. It's still just plain ol'dirt. Smile
Are you selling prints or the originals?
If prints, are they "enhanced" with a layer of Stadium Dirt on each print?
If so, how stable is the infield dirt in the medium that you mixed it in? Will particles of the sand fall off over time? Will the color of the clay stay the same when exposed to incandescent or fluorescent lights over the course of time? Just wondering!
As a collector of art, the GU dirt isn't a factor. As a baseball fan, the stadium dirt has a added bonus to a piece of artwork. As a consumer, would I pay a premium for Yankee Stadium Dirt vs. Little League infield dirt? I don't think it would be a factor and again, I hate to bring down the party but I think the gimmicky-ness of it all is a bad thing, especially with the scams and problems and allegations of authentication of GU jerseys, GU bats, etc. They can't get that right, can we trust them with something so un-identifiable as dirt?
What I guess I'm trying to say, I'd buy your art without the gimmick of it being authentic, notarized, authenticated game used, player spat upon, terra firms with or without morsals of Chewing tobacco! Smile
Can't wait to see your renditions of Jeter and Mo!
Thanks for the comment and your opinion. My B&W's still dominate the body of my work. The Game Uses is a series. In painting art... just like collecting art.....you have to be inspired by the work...at least I do. Using a material that no one has used before makes it interesting to me. I don't want to be like everyone else out there...that's why my B&W 's are done with an odd mixture too.

It's kinda like the acrylic to oil ....different...some favor one to another. ...but like you said it's about the art!!! I'm lovin how these feel and look.

Yes...I'm am selling the originals...Babe just sold. The prints will all be enhanced with the dirt. I put a spray coating on them to keep the dirt from falling. So it's on there for good!!

Outstanding comment! Thank you.
(04-17-2013, 08:04 AM)krykslr Wrote: I like it, and I think it's a cool concept, but there's no way I'd pay $200-$300 for a print. I could buy a really nice piece of memorabilia for that, and it would have more of a story behind it than a print copied from a painting with dirt from the field.

I wouldn't pay $2,000 for the original either, but I don't think that price is unrealistic at all, and I think you'll get someone to pay it.

Not trying to be a debbie downer, I do think your art is great and I think the concept is neat, it's just not for me.
Thanks for the reply. Regarding the prints. It's not just a print of an original. I enhance each one! That means I paint with the game used dirt on top of the print. So you do get some game used dirt. Not to mention only a limited edition of 50 are made for each original...

Also remember this. When investing with art you have two chances of it increasing in value. The player and the artist.
(04-17-2013, 12:36 AM)ryanmo5 Wrote: Will you take requests for certain players? My favorite player is Paul Goldschmidt would like to get one of him. Can you pm me the details on how much, site info and if its possible? Thanks and amazing work!
I do take requests....both in game used and my B&W.
Here's my Game Used Honus Wagner.

[Image: 50670803-1A1A-4B76-BBF6-56F39490E5BC-789...18921d.jpg]

Very nice work. I used to make mud pies as a kid but never anything this nice. Mine didn't sell but then again, driveway dirt from Glenburn, Maine isn't the same as Yankee Stadium dirt. Keep up the great work.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(04-17-2013, 12:00 PM)zeprock Wrote: Very nice work. I used to make mud pies as a kid but never anything this nice. Mine didn't sell but then again, driveway dirt from Glenburn, Maine isn't the same as Yankee Stadium dirt. Keep up the great work.
Thanks! I've been messing with tons of materials. I have a football and golf series coming....golf starts soon. The football starts in late summer.

Here's a Cy Young later in his career. I'm painting another one when he was younger on Cleveland. This one was painted with Fenway dirt. It's not a scan....kind of a bad pic with my iphone....hopefully you can see it ok.

[Image: 400D1C90-6937-475C-B49C-16366EBBFFDE-113...108538.jpg]

These pics look like photo's very cool! Would love to see the sketch you do at first to create these amazing pieces. Question: Have you ever had any of these in an actual card for any of the major companies?

(04-18-2013, 12:28 PM)magneto2 Wrote: These pics look like photo's very cool! Would love to see the sketch you do at first to create these amazing pieces. Question: Have you ever had any of these in an actual card for any of the major companies?
Thanks! I'm actually making some videos showing the entire process..from sketch to finished painting. I'll post it soon.

I've painted for Topps since 2008. The ines I've posted have not but other paintings I've done have been used to make cards.

Here's a very young Cy Young...tried to paint it so it looked like an older image. I think it's got that cool soft feel.....what do you guys think?

[Image: EF7B3F2D-063E-4996-83BA-2ECA0B73C723-244...696e41.jpg]