`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contracts - a discussion

Contracts - a discussion
well even though its been about a week since its happened figured I would bring up Elvis Andrus' long term extension with the rangers. Finally putting to bed all the Elvis trade rumors from the past off-season heading into the next couple, Although also birthing Kinsler trade rumors as soon as the deal was leaked.

"Rangers and shortstop Elvis Andrus have agreed to an eight-year, $120 million extension.

Andrus’ current contract ran through 2014, so the extension locks him up through 2022. Heyman reports that the combined remaining value of the current contract and the extension means the Rangers are committed to paying Andrus $131 million over the next 10 years."

I think this was a good investment(and personally much better use of $125 than 5 years of hamilton) but what do ya'll think? Also what other "franchise" players are locked up long term for your team your glad arent going anywhere for the foreseeable future?
[Image: 2choicesig_zps9f1610c4.gif]

RE: Contracts - a discussion
I think that's a good deal all around, in terms of dollars/value. -What you should consider is what the Rangers could have gotten in return had they traded Andrus. I know that one team--the Tigers--was very interested and probably would've parted with Nick Castellanos and/or Avisail Garcia, plus a Brennan Boesh/Rick Porcello type. So, in that sense, I think it may have been a mistake for the Rangers to pass up on that kind of deal. Now, they've got a logjam at 2nd where they've moved the best short stop prospect in baseball.

I think Profor is probably every bit as good as Andrus is right now, and probably has a higher ceiling. So, I probably would've opted to trade away Andrus and reloaded on some top MLB-ready prospects. Just my two cents.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

i agree with you that Andrus' trade value was big but I think a middle of andrus/profar with kinsler probably moving to right field(i dont feel cruz will be back) is a pretty strong lineup. And while I was hoping we would be able to work something out for Porcello(i think hes above average maybe not ace quality but I def. watch out when he pitches to us) im glad we didnt give up either profar or elvis. But as a Tigers fan would you feel Porcello Castellanos and Garcia(i think that was one of the rumors i heard at the end of spring) for Elvis or profar martin Perez and a couple of low level prospects would be a good deal? I dont know enough about castellanos or garcia( outside of their cards values lol) but i'd rather keep the guys on our side if thats what the deal came down to.

(04-08-2013, 07:03 PM)pyr0punk Wrote: i agree with you that Andrus' trade value was big but I think a middle of andrus/profar with kinsler probably moving to right field(i dont feel cruz will be back) is a pretty strong lineup. And while I was hoping we would be able to work something out for Porcello(i think hes above average maybe not ace quality but I def. watch out when he pitches to us) im glad we didnt give up either profar or elvis. But as a Tigers fan would you feel Porcello Castellanos and Garcia(i think that was one of the rumors i heard at the end of spring) for Elvis or profar martin Perez and a couple of low level prospects would be a good deal? I dont know enough about castellanos or garcia( outside of their cards values lol) but i'd rather keep the guys on our side if thats what the deal came down to.
As I Tigers fan, I would've been glad to see the Tigers upgrade at SS (and I like Andrus), but I'm not sure I would've liked to see them trade Castellanos AND Garcia. I think Castellanos has the potential to be a future batting champ (perennial .300+ hitter). Garcia is more raw, but definitely has potential as well. Hard to tell how he projects though. If he can put together power numbers (which he is capable of with his body size), look out. If I were the Rangers and could have gotten both of those guys plus a young, quality MLB pitcher (Porcello is only 24 years old with 100+ MLB starts), I'd pull the trigger in a second. There's always a risk with prospects, but they're relatively cheap, and can be under team control for years to come. I think Castellanos is a pretty safe bet; Garcia is riskier.
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.

that could of been one of the sticking points for why nothing ever happened seeing as thats the rumor i heard down here in the dfw area. also i dont think the rangers would be willing to help out a league rival(consistant playoff team) that much.last year yall made WS, year before we pulled out a tough series to make WS year before yall lost to yanks(i believe, i could be wrong) might be in the rangers best interests to stay away from any deals with the tigers lol

I think you hit the nail on the head with Profar taking over second, Kinsler moving to the OF (really don't think he has the power needed) and Cruz going (might happen before trade deadline this year). Andrus @ $13.1m per year for next 10 years....a steal / good smart spending for the Rangers.

As far as my team....everyone and thier mother is locked up long term which is meaning some lean years the next couple by the looks of things so far this year...except Hamels.....glad they signed him through his 34 year.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Have to say I'm a huge fan of teams locking up their own solid home grown players to lengthy contracts. I'm ecstatic to lock Posey up for long run. Though I'm happy that a long term deal never came to fruition for Lincecum. He could have become an extension of Zito. Too much money for a product that seems to be declining. Though I am happy to see Zito rebounding.

I think it's great to see the Tigers lock up Verlander and Texas-Andrus. I'm a big fan of franchise core players that when you hear their name they automatically are associated with their club. Though teams have to be very selective and cautious about these deals because when they tank it really looks ugly. Especially when multiple players on one team either struggle or get injured. Then all you hear about is how much money is going to waste.

Alternatively, it's very frustrating being a fan of a team that can't lock up a franchise like player for the long term (Oakland A's). Seems like they've had a revolving door for the past decade. It's really hard work trying to get to know and memorize a slew of new faces every year. No to mention invest in some cardboard only to see them get traded away.

(04-09-2013, 12:30 AM)JRMdawg311 Wrote: Have to say I'm a huge fan of teams locking up their own solid home grown players to lengthy contracts. I'm ecstatic to lock Posey up for long run. Though I'm happy that a long term deal never came to fruition for Lincecum. He could have become an extension of Zito. Too much money for a product that seems to be declining. Though I am happy to see Zito rebounding.

I think it's great to see the Tigers lock up Verlander and Texas-Andrus. I'm a big fan of franchise core players that when you hear their name they automatically are associated with their club. Though teams have to be very selective and cautious about these deals because when they tank it really looks ugly. Especially when multiple players on one team either struggle or get injured. Then all you hear about is how much money is going to waste.

Alternatively, it's very frustrating being a fan of a team that can't lock up a franchise like player for the long term (Oakland A's). Seems like they've had a revolving door for the past decade. It's really hard work trying to get to know and memorize a slew of new faces every year. No to mention invest in some cardboard only to see them get traded away.
As you alluded to, the flip side of this is that small market teams need to gamble early on long term contracts to have a shot at competing. A good example of this is the Twins with Morneau and Mauer, both of whom were locked up early, but neither has performed as hoped. Now the Twins are saddled with the contracts and will likely have to unload one or both. Further, even if they hang on to Mauer, they'll probably move him to 1B, where his 10-20 HR won't be hugely valuable.

long term deals - anything over 6 years - is for suckers

the best thing the red sox did since 2007 was the dodgers trade last year, getting rid of their 3 worst contracts, all long term deals

(04-09-2013, 12:30 AM)JRMdawg311 Wrote: Have to say I'm a huge fan of teams locking up their own solid home grown players to lengthy contracts. I'm ecstatic to lock Posey up for long run. Though I'm happy that a long term deal never came to fruition for Lincecum. He could have become an extension of Zito. Too much money for a product that seems to be declining. Though I am happy to see Zito rebounding.

Yeah man, EXACTLY why I'm trying not to go crazy over Cespedes, because we both know he'll be in Boston or New York in a couple of years.