`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canucks Purchase AHL Rivermen?

Canucks Purchase AHL Rivermen?
Sooo, I've seen a few stories today saying that the Canucks have purchased the AHL Peoria Rivermen team from both the Canucks and Blues websites. The details have been limited, and it is April Fool's Day...is this story legit?? Also, if the Canucks are purchasing the Rivermen, do they also purchase all the player contracts of the players currently on the AHL team? If that's the case, I don't understand how the Blues would be able to move forward with no minor league players??? Could someone please explain??

RE: Canucks Purchase AHL Rivermen?
I don't believe it has anything to do with players. It's just the "franchise" itself, names, logos, etc. The article I read on the NBC Sports Talk app says it's possible the Rivermen get moved to Abbotsford (where the Flames AHL team currently is, which might move to Utica, NY). The Blues AHL affiliate may go to Chicago it said.

So I think it's like this....

Chicago is currently the Canucks affiliate, will become the Blues.
Abbotsford is currently the Flames affiliate, will become the Canucks.
Flames affiliate will supposedly move to Utica, NY, which currently has no AHL team.

I'm no expert and could be completely wrong lol, but I think that's the jist of it.
Go Avs Go!

I saw somewhere in one story that the Blues would probably take over the Chicago Wolves team because the affiliation agreement with the Canucks ends at the end of this season....so that means that the players/prospects that play for the Rivermen would just go over to Chicago and still belong to the Blues as a whole?...and the Canucks prospects would just move to Peoria or wherever and still belong to them?

(04-01-2013, 03:57 PM)slufan83 Wrote: I saw somewhere in one story that the Blues would probably take over the Chicago Wolves team because the affiliation agreement with the Canucks ends at the end of this season....so that means that the players/prospects that play for the Rivermen would just go over to Chicago and still belong to the Blues as a whole?
Yes. I believe so. All the Blues property would still be Blues property.
Go Avs Go!

I live in Illinois, but Peoria is a good 3 hours northwest of me as I live about 50 min from St. Louis. I have more interest in knowing the outcome of the players over the Rivermen team. Granted it's going to def hit Peoria badly financially if Vancouver ends up moving the team. I wasn't sure how it all worked out though....I kinda doubted that the Blues would just sell off all their prospects since that basically means that the majority of their draft picks from the last 5 or so years would have been a waste. Plus I've been investing a lot in my Jake Allen collection and I was nervous that he would be Vancouver property or something after this deal was finalized :/

(04-01-2013, 04:07 PM)slufan83 Wrote: Plus I've been investing a lot in my Jake Allen collection and I was nervous that he would be Vancouver property or something after this deal was finalized :/
Bahahahahahahaha! I actually had to laugh at this one!

Randi

A good example of AHL affiliation moving is the Norfolk Admirals-- last years AHL champs. But the Lightning moved the affiliation to Syracuse and all players went with it. Norfolk is now someone else.

Yeah ^^ Syracuse is the closest AHL team to me and this is 100% correct. Just like when the Crunch went from CBJ's affiliate to ANA's affiliate. Everyone moves. Last year's Norfolk team is now in Syracuse and all the Duck prospects who have been in Syracuse now play in Norfolk. Same team with the same guys everyone just moves.

Also yes everything in here is true. Utica (my city) is getting the Flames team, Chicago is moving to Abbotsford, Peoria is moving to Chicago and Peoria loses out on a team.

I posted a thread about the Flames moving their team to Utica months ago.
[Image: Signature.jpg]

PC's
Patrick Roy PC 966/7,265 = 13.30% Complete
Brandon Yip PC 101/183 = 55.19% Complete
Nick Palmieri 93/150 = 62.00% Complete

Unique Avs Cards = 1303
Unique Nordiques Cards = 1054

Before Winnipeg joined:
Thrashers - Chicago Wolves
Canucks - Manitoba Moose

Now, an NHL team mant the Moose needed to move. The Jets took over the team and moved it to St. John's. Meanwhile, Vancouver inked a deal with the Wolves. All the Wolves who belonged to Atlanta/Winnipeg moved to Newfoundland and all the Moose who belonged to Vancouver went to Chicago.

If this is true, it's interesting. Calgary denied they were moving the Abbotsford Heat anywhere, but ticket sales have been lower than expected (most point to it being the Calgary affiliate in the greater Vancouver area). Most people think that a Canucks affiliate would do very, very well in Abbotsford and I have to agree.
Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com