IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Judges vote here

RE: Judges vote here
Dbroockerd walks away with it.

Dbroockerd would be my choice as winner, though you all traded up to great cards.
[Image: Boston.jpg]

(04-01-2013, 03:46 PM)rmpaq5 Wrote: Not being a judge I don't want to give an opiniond as to avoid any swaying of opinions by those that matter in judging, but was how many trades it took to get to your last card part of the criteria? I mean if one guy took 6 trades and another 8 (example numbers I'm sure the number of trades was higher) would the 6 trade guy get bonus considerations?
There was a two trade a week limit so everyone had a chance at the same number of deals. I will post the number each did though shortly.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

I vote for Derek. Although it looks like everyone ended up with nice cards.
Currently collecting Mike Trout, Bo Jackson and Al Kaline.

Sets for sale or trade:

1998 Leaf Rookies & Stars-- 99.7% complete.
1999 Finest-- Complete.
2000 Bowman Chrome-- Complete.
2001 Studio---97% complete.

Okay I checked and it appears the following number of trades were done. For those asking to consider number of trades how would you recommend doing that? For example if I do 11 and someone does 9. How would we judge, by my card at 9 or would you guess at value for their 11th? I would consider changing the rule for the second round if I could here suggestions on how to do so.

Dontpray 13 trades
Dbroockerd 11 trades
EmoryB 9 trades
Lecreccio 9 trades
Randall44 6 trades
Neifert ???? Didn't log them all on the thread

I think I would be interested in doing this sounds fun....but some rules or thoughts on how to do this

1.Show what you started with
2.how many trades
3.Final Result

Then hold a vote. Plus whats the winner get?
--SET NEEDS--

PSA GRADED 1934 Goudey Set: 14/96

I guess since in the end the criteria is a subjective vote then the judges would just have to take the number of trades as part of their consideration. If you were to do it mathematically, a suggestion would be to take the difference in your starting bv and ending bv and dividing by the number of trades to get a score. That way even if the bv difference in the same you would get a different mathematical score. (eg 215 dollars difference. 12 trades score would be 17.91. 10 trades score is 21.5. Also done this way would eliminate someone starting with a higer bv card to gain ground faster since the difference in bv is one of the scoring components.
Also---boy this is thinking about this too deeply--you could use Beckett's star, semi-star, common player designations (if this list exists to the public) to add bonus points in. Say end up with a HOF 10 pts, Star 8pts, semi-star 5pts, common 2 pts. If I remember correctly in Madhatters original thread he ran into problems when he had acquired a rather high bv card, but it was a red refractor of a player who had his cup of coffee in the minors and was gone.
I think I just took your little trade fun to Sabermetrics land....

[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

(04-01-2013, 09:25 PM)rmpaq5 Wrote: I guess since in the end the criteria is a subjective vote then the judges would just have to take the number of trades as part of their consideration. If you were to do it mathematically, a suggestion would be to take the difference in your starting bv and ending bv and dividing by the number of trades to get a score. That way even if the bv difference in the same you would get a different mathematical score. (eg 215 dollars difference. 12 trades score would be 17.91. 10 trades score is 21.5. Also done this way would eliminate someone starting with a higer bv card to gain ground faster since the difference in bv is one of the scoring components.
Also---boy this is thinking about this too deeply--you could use Beckett's star, semi-star, common player designations (if this list exists to the public) to add bonus points in. Say end up with a HOF 10 pts, Star 8pts, semi-star 5pts, common 2 pts. If I remember correctly in Madhatters original thread he ran into problems when he had acquired a rather high bv card, but it was a red refractor of a player who had his cup of coffee in the minors and was gone.
I think I just took your little trade fun to Sabermetrics land....
I see a few issues with some of these suggestions. 1. We go by sell value not book value. 2. We all require a $5-6 starting card so no way to cheat the value there.

Does the points system take the judges out of it?

(04-01-2013, 09:42 PM)dbroockerd Wrote: I see a few issues with some of these suggestions. 1. We go by sell value not book value. 2. We all require a $5-6 starting card so no way to cheat the value there.

Does the points system take the judges out of it?
Not really, doesn't the BCS take polls and math together to come up with score? I'm just no smart enough to come up with a formula for ya. Smile I see nothing wrong with the way you currently do it.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

(04-01-2013, 09:09 PM)dbroockerd Wrote: Okay I checked and it appears the following number of trades were done. For those asking to consider number of trades how would you recommend doing that? For example if I do 11 and someone does 9. How would we judge, by my card at 9 or would you guess at value for their 11th? I would consider changing the rule for the second round if I could here suggestions on how to do so.

Dontpray 13 trades
Dbroockerd 11 trades
EmoryB 9 trades
Lecreccio 9 trades
Randall44 6 trades
Neifert ???? Didn't log them all on the thread
Nice work, guys. -For what it's worth, I don't think the number of trades should be taken into account. It would be impossible to factor, plus it would disincentivize trading. (Especially lateral trades, if doing so would count against your score). To me, there's something to be said for simply ending up with the best card. Whether by doing 15 trades or 8. Best man wins.
I think a cool twist would be for everyone to submit their "prize card" along with a starter card (of a predetermined value). Then the participants randomly draw which starter card to begin with.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*