`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noob Question about Grading

Noob Question about Grading
I've been out of the hobby a while and don't completely understand how grading affects card value.

If a card is valued at say $100.

It's graded as a 9.

How would that generally change the cards worth? Browsing eBay it seems like grading raises value considerably in some cases. Thanks for any info.

RE: Noob Question about Grading
Not really, but it does depend on the card.
Case in point a BGS 9 1994 SP Alex Rodriguez or 1993 SP Jeter would garnish alot more because they were condition sensitive sets. Same as a Jordan rookie or Ozzie Smith rookie (both mostly due to centering).
Vintage (anything before 1970) will garnish ALOT more, sometime double to triple the value.

If you are talking about current cards (1999-present) they are all generally expected to be an 8.5 - 9 so the values should match up to book value unless its highly sought after or also condition sensitive.

Okay cool. So if a card isn't known to be sensitive and it is 1999 - present and is graded 8.5 - 9. Then it is worth it's book value.

If that same card were 9.5 - 10. Would it become valued higher than its book value?

Last I was collecting I had that SP Arod. I remember even then thinking how easily those rookies scuffed up. I still have 4 or 5. They don't look bad but I know they'd grade poorly.

"Okay cool. So if a card isn't known to be sensitive and it is 1999 - present and is graded 8.5 - 9. Then it is worth it's book value."

- Generally this is the case.

"If that same card were 9.5 - 10. Would it become valued higher than its book value?"

- YES

Cool. I've been looking at buying some cards on eBay and trying to understand which prices are best. I think I'd be happy now buying a 9. 9.5s look really good though!

Most cards that are pulled from packs are considered to be NM/Mint condition which is in Beckett grading standards a BGS 8 or 8.5. Which is what the beckett price reflects. Anything graded at BGS 9 or higher generally has a little bit higher of a premium than the same card not graded with the premium growing as the grade improves. But also like the last post it depends on the year and issue of the card. Modern sets that premium may only be a couple bucks but older sets with condition sensitive problems carry a huge premium for being graded BGS 9 or higher.

i understand the edges, corners, surface... but can you explain the centering part.. all cards look like they are centered to me. Aren't all printed the same?
[Image: angelsbanner.jpg]

(03-20-2013, 11:07 PM)elfeo013 Wrote: i understand the edges, corners, surface... but can you explain the centering part.. all cards look like they are centered to me. Aren't all printed the same?
Its not how they are printed, but how they are cut after being printed. If a sheet is just a hair off it could cause an individual card to be off center by alot.

No not all cards are centered, in fact the majority of cards made are off centered a little bit. And it actually effects the value of the card. I won't buy a card if its off centered because I think it looks terrible.
(03-20-2013, 11:07 PM)elfeo013 Wrote: i understand the edges, corners, surface... but can you explain the centering part.. all cards look like they are centered to me. Aren't all printed the same?

Base graded bv off ebay.... 9-10 cards on here dont have a graded value in the org. the org shows the bv of your card raw nm-mt condition. plus 10-10 cards on the bay sell below beckett bv. just go to completed listings and compare past sales. thats your best bet in my opinion.
I collect "THE 27 CLUB" - Matt Kemp & Mike Trout RC's
[Image: RyinvZK.png]
[Image: beckett2_zps5fe6c285.jpg]
~! KEEP THE HOBBY ALIVE !~
Props to jbel4331