`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willie Mays Pickup from an antique mall

Willie Mays Pickup from an antique mall
Normally I rarely find anything of sports nature worth the asking price at antique malls. There are typically a bunch of mid-to-late 80s cards with sellers asking well over book, and the older cards are usually beat up or again way over priced. Well, while perusing one last weekend with my wife I came across picture of Willie Mays. More specifically it was an ad sheet for Alaga Syrup with Willie Mays on it. I was immediately drawn in, as I hadn't seen this particular piece before. As I looked at it carefully I noticed that it was autographed, and not just a facsimile printed autograph but actually hand-signed. I carefully inspected the autograph and it looked pretty legit to me, however nowhere did the seller mention that it was autographed (he simply had it marked with a sticker stating "Willie Mays Ad Sheet" and a price of $78.50. I was really debating about buying it, and ultimately decided to hold off and do some research on the ad sheet. I checked during the week and found that the ad sheet alone in good condition sells for close to what the seller was asking, and that an autographed version recently sold at an auction house for more than double that. Once I had that in my mind, I decided to look over a Willie Mays autograph that I have and to check some others online that I know are legit just to make sure I wasn't missing any key markings or strokes.
Well, I went back this morning, hoping it was still there and sure enough it was and about $80 later it was heading home with me. I took 2 pictures, one with and the other without the flash to show how vivid the colors are on it.
[Image: 2006ae80-7f99-4411-999f-a65cac96639e_zps9615c832.jpg]
[Image: 20130228_200726_zps58209301.jpg]
Tell me what you think, and whether you have ever seen one like this before.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

RE: Willie Mays Pickup from an antique mall
Love it, great find, congrats!

What a great pick up! Love it.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Great find for sure, now be sure to keep it in your PC or it will soon be cut up for the next round of Tribute Smile
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

Wow, what a great piece! Congrats on the excellent find!
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

Woa! Amazing find on an amazing piece!
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

This is definitely staying in my PC for a while. I wish I had a good spot in my kitchen that I could hang it up, but I am too concerned with having light come through the windows and fading it. For now it's staying in my card room.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Sweet Pickup! I once had a 1954 Topps of Willie and to this day regret trading it. Nice Find!

What a cool oddball piece! Frame it behind a piece of nice uv glass you should be good to hang it in the kitchen
no org, please do not send trade requests