`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Target vs. Walmart

Target vs. Walmart
Has anyone noticed a strong difference in auto/GU/inserts/SP to common ratio when opening Target select product vs. Walmart select product?
I never checked the wrappers to see if there's a difference in the ratio listed there, but it just seems that I bought a ton of target and got relatively nothing, but at Walmart, I've bought a lot less, but almost all my SP and Camo cards were from those Walmart purchases.
Also noticed a difference in the card collation .... Target has been horribly repetitive while Walmart was showing more diverse mixing of their cards?
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed this discrepancy between the two? Is it coincidence or by design, or is it all in my mind?
Thanks, Mitch
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: Target vs. Walmart
They both are tough when it comes to cards. Odds are you aren't going pull anything of merit at either store. Save your money and buy hobby! Its seems like Topps packages the same cards in a lot of their packs at Wal-Mart too. I can't even count how many packs I bought at Wal-Mart that had the exact same cards in the packs.

i agree with joba. i started collecting last year and i started buying retail first since it was so easily accessible. but the odds are so much against you on those. hits are 3x harder at least it seems. i bought a ton of retail last year and most of the autos i pulled from blasters were from Bowman, but those have retail only autos. outside of that, i pulled 1 from GQ.

one of my new years resolutions is to stop buying retail. spending $10 - $20 on a chance to get a hit isn't worth it.
[Image: m3OLcuF.png]
Sig by: jbel4331 / STL Cardinals & Rams Collector

I usually only buy retail if they're on special. -At target, sometimes you can find rack packs of chrome marked down from $9.99 to $5. Also, I'll usually bite on blasters at $11.99 or less. With Bowman Chrome, I tend to pull 2 autos for every 3 blasters (which is pretty good). My sister is in college and doesn't have a lot of dough at Christmas/birthdays, so I always tell her to just buy me a blaster (or a book).

I haven't really noticed the collation differences between the stores. If I buy retail, usually it's from Walmart, followed by Target/Meijer.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(02-23-2013, 09:56 AM)joba the clark Wrote: They both are tough when it comes to cards. Odds are you aren't going pull anything of merit at either store. Save your money and buy hobby! Its seems like Topps packages the same cards in a lot of their packs at Wal-Mart too. I can't even count how many packs I bought at Wal-Mart that had the exact same cards in the packs.
You're absolutely correct, but it just seems a little more justifiable to pick up a $5 hanger or a $20 blaster once or twice a week versus $100 on a hobby box .... Especially with no hobby store anywhere nearby and half a dozen target/walmarts within 5 miles. The brain agrees with you, save my money to buy hobby, but my heart just says "go on, buy a wee-little blaster!"Smile
(02-23-2013, 10:28 AM)phreakyq Wrote: one of my new years resolutions is to stop buying retail. spending $10 - $20 on a chance to get a hit isn't worth it.
Sounds logical. Please remind me of this next New Years Eve Smile
(02-23-2013, 11:53 AM)uvaspina Wrote: I usually only buy retail if they're on special. -At target, sometimes you can find rack packs of chrome marked down from $9.99 to $5. Also, I'll usually bite on blasters at $11.99 or less. With Bowman Chrome, I tend to pull 2 autos for every 3 blasters (which is pretty good).
I haven't really noticed the collation differences between the stores. If I buy retail, usually it's from Walmart, followed by Target/Meijer.
You're right, waiting for them to go clearance is the right thing to do. I've done better with Bowman blasters too. Wonder why?
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

If you have a paypal account linked to your bank account then I would transfer the money your were going to spend at Target or Walmart into your paypal and then when you have enough for a Hobby box, go to Blowout Cards and pick up a box. I started putting the money I would spend at Walmart into a jar and once a month I go to Matt's Sports Cards in Enfield CT (which is about an hour drive). So far its paying off. I saved my dough and picked up a 2012 Bowman Draft Jumbo box and pulled some sweet cards....one of which I just sold for $500.

Blowout cards in my opinion is the best place to buy boxes online...they usually offer free shipping on purchases over $150. It may take a while to save up that kind of money but its well worth it.
(02-26-2013, 08:01 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: You're absolutely correct, but it just seems a little more justifiable to pick up a $5 hanger or a $20 blaster once or twice a week versus $100 on a hobby box .... Especially with no hobby store anywhere nearby and half a dozen target/walmarts within 5 miles. The brain agrees with you, save my money to buy hobby, but my heart just says "go on, buy a wee-little blaster!"Smile

Sounds logical. Please remind me of this next New Years Eve Smile

You're right, waiting for them to go clearance is the right thing to do. I've done better with Bowman blasters too. Wonder why?

I know for 2013 Topps, there is a difference in what you can get. Walmart you can pull blue parallel's, Target, red parallel's, and toys'r'us purple parallel's. Perhaps these types of store specifics accidentally lead to packaging differences for other inserts since they likely package a ton of walmart packs one week, then target another (or something along those lines).

(02-26-2013, 11:58 AM)greco827 Wrote: I know for 2013 Topps, there is a difference in what you can get. Walmart you can pull blue parallel's, Target, red parallel's, and toys'r'us purple parallel's. Perhaps these types of store specifics accidentally lead to packaging differences for other inserts since they likely package a ton of walmart packs one week, then target another (or something along those lines).
A very good theory. It's probably as good a theory as any I can come up with ... but there's a distinct difference, IMO.

(02-26-2013, 08:34 AM)joba the clark Wrote: I started putting the money I would spend at Walmart into a jar and once a month I go to Matt's Sports Cards in Enfield CT (which is about an hour drive). So far its paying off. I saved my dough and picked up a 2012 Bowman Draft Jumbo box and pulled some sweet cards....one of which I just sold for $500.

Blowout cards in my opinion is the best place to buy boxes online...they usually offer free shipping on purchases over $150. It may take a while to save up that kind of money but its well worth it.
Congrats on the card sale!

You're very regimented in your saving technique. I applaud you!! But that jar would be constantly pilfered by my wife and kids Smile
I think I just need to stop buying at retail stores.

Never dealt with Blowout ... I used Pittsburgh, Dave and Adam and DCS in the past. Dave and Adams prices seem to always be competitive and the they always have a free shipping offer (over $100 or $150) .... I need a LCS !!!