`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Why do you collect the players you do?

RE: Why do you collect the players you do?
The reason I started collecting Dominique Wilkins was because of a 93-94 Jam Session Game Breakers card. Unreal, huh? I got this card in the fifth grade when a kid traded it to me so that he could be hall monitor for the week. Back then I had never ever seen a basketball card and didn't even know who Nique was! Shortly after, I'd see Nique and Mookie Blaylock on TV and thought they were both pretty good. After that, my friend's dad took me to my first game: Warriors @ Clippers. Nique had been traded to the Clippers and lit up Chris Webber and the Warriors in OT for 50 something. I was in awe.

I later moved to WA state and a lot of people in my grade collected basketball cards, including my best buddy, who collected Stockton. It was 1996 and I wanted to focus in on one player like he did. I couldn't believe how cheap Wilkins cards were given the caliber of player he was and I still had that old Jam Session card. From there, it's history... and I still have that Jam Session card to this day.
[Image: main2.gif]

Dominique Wilkins Beckett Super Collector
http://www.hobbydisplay.com/rdleifriaf

I remember like yesterday, me and my little brother was watching cartoons one evening and after cartoons there was a Sacramento Kings game on. It was our first time watching NBA. I saw how MitchRichmond speed and dunk to the basket, passes to his teammates to make plays, and made 3-pointers that made me say "woah" and leave me hanging breathless in my seats. He was underrated player because he was on a worst team ever. More worst than Clippers. He would be most recognizable if he have play on a different team like Pacers with Miller, Knicks with Ewings, Hornets with Larry Johnson, and more. I collect Richmond because when the team need a basket he is there, he's a very humble guy, great heart, and has no fear.

I have calmed down a bit on the purchases, but my main PC is Dennis Rodman. I loved him as a player - his character, his tough D and the slight craziness he has.. His cards are always colorful and are usually very appealing to the eye.

My second PC is Phil Jackson CO. I started taking interest in basketball in my teens which coincided with the 90's Bulls. Phil Jackson was their coach throughout their six championships and I found him a very intriguing person - managing to contain star players like Jordan, Pippen and Rodman and their respective egos, and keep them sufficiently focused to get all those rings.

As a Dutch native, I further started collecting Geert Hammink and Serge Zwikker - arguably the two most unsuccessful Dutch players in NBA history - as an unserious PC which was quite achievable because of their few cards in existance. I actually came to take it more seriously and have extended it to all Dutch players (Beenders, Nater, Smits, Gadzuric, Elson and Norel) although limited to very appealing or low-numbered cards.

Would Olajuwon fall in that category? Personally, he's my favorite player of all time. My main PC growing up was MJ, but I collected MJ because all of my friends did. I grew up in Houston and watched the Rockets on TV all the time... during their championship years. I started collecting Olajuwon because he became my favorite player, and it was cheaper to collect him over MJ.
[Image: MJCollage_zps3209fd89.jpg]

I focus on Celtics players due to being a fan and the rich history of the team. I was a junior in high school when Pierce was drafted so he is the first Celtics great that I have been able to truly follow his career with the depth and knowledge of them game. I watched Bird and company growing up. But I was 4 when they won it in '86. That is why if I had to choose a player I have such a heavy focus on Pierce rookie year cards.
[Image: lnuVdUL.png]

Was always a huge MJ fan growing up and collected his cards. My whole collection was maybe 100 cards strong but almost all base junk. I have been a big Air Jordan guy for a while and now that I have pretty much every shoe i could want, I got back into cards. Started with an MJ Fleer RC and have since picked up a ton more. He is breaking the bank though and my display case is full so its onto a new player focus.

Nique: has always been an absolute favorite of mine and his cards are gorgeous, no better images out there.

Magic: IMO the second best player to ever lace them up after Mike. Already have a nice RC and 2nd year so why not!

Bernard King: NYK fan and this guy was a beast, plus his cards are cheap as dirt.

Worthy: Another PIMP. Tough as nails.

The thread is getting a little off topic. There is no need to explain why you would want to collect Jordan, Magic Johnson, Kobe, Lebron, Paul Pierce, or any other all-Star or HOF player. We all get that. The real question was why you would want to collect someone like Gheorghe Muresan or Popeye Jones!
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade

(02-13-2013, 02:08 PM)briankort Wrote: The thread is getting a little off topic. There is no need to explain why you would want to collect Jordan, Magic Johnson, Kobe, Lebron, Paul Pierce, or any other all-Star or HOF player. We all get that. The real question was why you would want to collect someone like Gheorghe Muresan or Popeye Jones!
LOL any Mookie Blaylock collectors?

I am collecting Kyle Korver. I have been a fan of his since he came into the league. Just absolutely love his shooting stroke and the way he plays off the ball. Plus playing for the Jazz helped (i also collect Karl Malone and Deron Williams)