`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Collector in need of some information and opinions

New Collector in need of some information and opinions
I want to start off by thanking all those who have been giving me advice as I begin collecting football/sports cards.

I have questions or need some information because I just couldn't find full details on the boards or from google. The following inquiries refer to hobby boxes.

1. Is there a hierarchy when it comes to the manufacturers of football cards?
In other words - Is Panini better than Topps or Upper Deck or vice versa?

Also - Each manufacturer has different lines of cards which it releases each year.

2 - Are there different tiers or are there certain releases considered better than others?

For instance - Topps has Chrome, Prime, Platinum etc.. Panini has Elite and Prestige while Upper Deck has the SPx line. There may be the same release but one is certified. Things can get confusing.

Basically I am trying to figure out which are the best companies and which releases are considered more valuable than others.

I know I am asking for alot of information but any advice or link would be greatly appreciated. I don't expect a full explanation since my questions entail so much information.

Thanks for your time.

RE: New Collector in need of some information and opinions
I would suggest you start reading Beckett Magazine and you`ll kinda find out everything you need to know. Look through the price guides too-in the mag

RE: New Collector in need of some information and opinions
There arent really any better than the other. Basically you can use the saying "You get what you pay for" Meaning you pay $50 for a box your "Hits" are going to be worth $4 If you pay $600 for a box then your hits are going to be worth $10. Its all luck of the draw and about 90% of boxes result in lost money. You're better off breaking something you think looks nice. Contenders, SP Authentic and National Treasures are usually the most sought after releases every year tho. Contenders and SPA are usually affordable $100 a box or close to it, National Treasures on the other hand is close to $450 a box.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC