`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Trimmed Cards Getting Graded

Trimmed Cards Getting Graded
I posted this in the BGS Grading Forum, but 4 hours, 15 views, and no responses later, I figured I would post it on here to see what the fellow collectors I know have to think about this.
It seems that ive been seeing this alot lately and it is a little discouraging. I understand mistakes can happen with certain aspects of grading but if a card is trimmed, it should be pretty obvious when measuring the card. Here is the latest example that has been brought to my attention. Notice on the 9.5 how the side that has been trimmed is the front right side, back left side. the untrimmed side has the standard chipping of this set but the trimmed side is clean. Look at both pictures of the graded and non graded card and its easy to see from the naked eye that the whole back left side is closer to the edge. At first I thought it may just be off center, but the other side lines up. What are your thoughts?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BGS-9-5-1997-SKY...4d03ca3506
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHAEL-JORDAN-1...6rk%3D1%26
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

RE: Trimmed Cards Getting Graded
Both listings have been removed. At least that was what I got when I used both links.

Ya thats good they were removed...I saw them before they were removed tho and I thought it was fairly noticeable on each. Its quite pathetic if you ask me. For both the seller and BGS...
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65

I think we as Beckett Member should save the pics & repost them on photobucket or what ever site & then share them here.. along with the listing numbers.. that way we do not lose the images... so they can be referenced too in the future... hopefully...

I could not see the pics, so I can not comment on them.. but have noticed a few PSA cards that looked a little off in the last week or so... cards didn't appear to be centered in the PSA holder & looked as if one or more corners were touched up with fine sandpaper...

I would think trimmed cards should be identified by BGS & PSA before even looking at the card... it should be a very easy progress....
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

links should be working now. also, a member on another forum had a jordan insert 48/100 with a dinged corner. he got it graded anyway and it came back bgs 8.5, with the corners receiving an 8. he sold the card and it has now popped up trimmed and in a bgs 9.5 case with the corners having a 9 and the edges were bumped up half a grade also.

that don't make since.. I thought BGS would be recording the serial numbers that are on the cards when the grade them & put them in the POP report....

that aint' right!!

somebody trimming a card to get re-graded... that is why I keep a note book & try to keep track of what serial numbers have popped up for certain cards..

too many crooked people trying to make a quick buck!!
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

I enjoy the grading for the encasement and have relied on buying graded cards when buying online to get the stuff that I want to be picky on condition with.

I have seen a few issues like this more so than once myself. I have also seen bad cards slabbed with good grades and you have to realize that grading does not take place with robots and people do make mistakes... but it would be nice if every card was graded thoroughly and with the same standards and process with each card.

I know it can't be done on every little card send to BGS but, maybe two graders should look at each card with a declared value of $100+ or more??? Just a thought.
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

I've heard stories like this before with grading. It's tuff to really put a handle on stuff like this. I've always looked at grading as just another opinionated situation. It's hard to really put stock into what someone else deems as a perfect card. As long as it's protected and you really enjoy it so be it.

I'm a little different with my collection then most people. I will pick up a damaged really rare PC card at a good price, mainly because I might not have it, lol. If I can find it later in better condition at an affordable price then I will pick it up. A couple of years back I picked up three LeBrons that were hard to come by. All three were RC. One was sn /25, the two others were memo. I paid around $40 total for them. I figured that the chance of me picking up the sn /25 was so unlikely that I had to pick this one up at that time.

All and all it's sad that people will try to cheat to make a profit, but karma usually finds them. Good eye (I would've never paid attention to that, lol).
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

the cheats that are doing this is one thing, but how is beckett letting these go through and giving them gem mint grades. the size of the card should be the easiest for graders, all they have to do is look at the measurement. beckett is suppose to be "the world's most trusted source in collecting". stuff like this is not good for the company or our hobby.

(08-27-2012, 08:18 PM)pingbling23 Wrote: the cheats that are doing this is one thing, but how is beckett letting these go through and giving them gem mint grades. the size of the card should be the easiest for graders, all they have to do is look at the measurement. beckett is suppose to be "the world's most trusted source in collecting". stuff like this is not good for the company or our hobby.
I do agree 100%. That's why Beckett uses the subjective label when describing grading. In a perfect world this wouldn't be an issue. I guess sometimes you don't get what you pay for. There is a part of me that wants to check all of my graded cards. I remember around 6yrs ago I was buying a PSA graded Shaq RC. The guy was selling two. Both were graded a 9, but one had a slight ding on the corner. I was surprised that that was missed, lol.
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]