`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best High-End set of 80/90's era?

Best High-End set of 80/90's era?
What do you guys think? I love all of these but can't afford to build them all, I need to focus on one. I'm evaluating them (1-5) on the following:

Player checklist
Scarcity
Aesthetics (ex. eye appeal, quality of design)
Hobby impact (ex. what was the impact on the hobby.. 86/87 Fleer was pretty ground-breaking at the time)

1986 Fleer
1997 E-X2001 Jambalaya
1997 Showcase Legacy
1997 EX-2000 Essential Credentials
1997 Precious Metal Gems
1998 Precious Metal Gems
1998 EX-2001 Essential Credentials
1999 Skybox Star Rubies

RE: Best High-End set of 80/90's era?
(08-05-2012, 02:26 PM)bcwaxbuster Wrote: What do you guys think? I love all of these but can't afford to build them all, I need to focus on one. I'm evaluating them (1-5) on the following:

Player checklist
Scarcity
Aesthetics (ex. eye appeal, quality of design)
Hobby impact (ex. what was the impact on the hobby.. 86/87 Fleer was pretty ground-breaking at the time)

1986 Fleer
1997 E-X2001 Jambalaya
1997 Showcase Legacy
1997 EX-2000 Essential Credentials
1997 Precious Metal Gems
1998 Precious Metal Gems
1998 EX-2001 Essential Credentials
1999 Skybox Star Rubies

Agree on 86-87 Fleer as #1, but based on your criteria (CL, Scarcity, aesthetics & impact), IMO, 96-97 Topps Chrome and Chrome Refractor sets are # 2 & 2a.

Is this based on selling price at all? Because the Precious Metal Gem cards go for a ton....especially the MJ cards! They are also pretty scarce being only numbered to 50 I believe. Cool list.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

i dont know if any of those sets could even be built with how rare some of the cards are, the 86 fleer would probably be the easiest and cheapest out of the list (crazy to think). i think 96 or 97 spx are beautiful sets that wouldnt be that hard or expensive to put together but still have a ton of eye candy.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

For those who remember, 86-87 Fleer was pretty much considered garbage by most collectors when it came out. Every person on here could have bought boxes for $15-20 MAX at the time. And then things changed, and we all know what happened to those prices. Pretty cool project, and good luck with it.

You missed 2 key sets:
1993-94 Finest Refractors
1996-97 Topps Chrome Refractors

Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

It never ceases to amaze me just how amazing those cards were from the 80's & 90's... You would THINK that with time, that cards would get even better, but apparentely that's not been the case.

I am 27 years old, so I was 5-15 in the 90's... Being around especially as a kid card collector when classics like Topps Finest, Flair Showcase, Metal, EX, Chrome, and ect came out was just a dream come true!

Today, althought I'd love to own a few rare Exquisite cards... In my opinion those pale in comparison to just normal non autographed/non patch cards from the 90's!

Give me a 1986 Fleer Jordan RC, a 96-97 Flair Showcase Legacy MJ, a 93-98 Finest Refractor MJ, or any of the others mentioned over an Exquisite patch auto any day! Those cards were made and distributed when Jordan was THE man and idol to millions of kids!! Though he'll always be king no matter what, I fear that this new generation doesn't respect the ones they should. LeBron is the anti MJ in every sense of the word and a terrible player/role model... He's a phony & a fraud and I can see right through him.

That is all...

(08-07-2012, 02:51 PM)bengu Wrote: It never ceases to amaze me just how amazing those cards were from the 80's & 90's... You would THINK that with time, that cards would get even better, but apparentely that's not been the case.

I am 27 years old, so I was 5-15 in the 90's... Being around especially as a kid card collector when classics like Topps Finest, Flair Showcase, Metal, EX, Chrome, and ect came out was just a dream come true!

Today, althought I'd love to own a few rare Exquisite cards... In my opinion those pale in comparison to just normal non autographed/non patch cards from the 90's!

Give me a 1986 Fleer Jordan RC, a 96-97 Flair Showcase Legacy MJ, a 93-98 Finest Refractor MJ, or any of the others mentioned over an Exquisite patch auto any day! Those cards were made and distributed when Jordan was THE man and idol to millions of kids!! Though he'll always be king no matter what, I fear that this new generation doesn't respect the ones they should. LeBron is the anti MJ in every sense of the word and a terrible player/role model... He's a phony & a fraud and I can see right through him.

That is all...
I was agreeing with everything you said until the Lebron part. Not even a Lebron thread and had to get a stab in huh? Lebron wasnt even around in the 90's or when any of these sets were out....yet you still have to stir things up huh? Sad.....

+1 nick, bengu spewing random garbage as usual.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

(08-07-2012, 04:45 PM)pingbling23 Wrote: +1 nick, bengu spewing random garbage as usual.
Sad thing is I think he mentioned all the Lebron stuff because you posted in this thread. He was no where to be seen until you made a comment. Opinions are wonderful when they are relavent. Great original thread!