`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memorabilia King Mastro indicted on fraud(shill-bidding)

Memorabilia King Mastro indicted on fraud(shill-bidding)
http://www.fbi.gov/chicago/press-release...llectibles

"CHICAGO — Online and live auctions of sports memorabilia and other collectibles conducted during the 2000s by the former Mastro Auctions, which was based in suburban Chicago, routinely defrauded customers, according to a federal indictment unsealed today. William Mastro, who owned the former business that once billed itself as the “world’s leading sports and Americana auction house,” together with Doug Allen and Mark Theotikos, both former executives of Mastro Auctions, were indicted on fraud charges for allegedly rigging auctions through a series of deceptive practices, including so-called “shill-bidding,” designed to inflate prices paid by bidders and to protect the interests of consignors and sellers at the expense of unwitting bidders.

According to the indictment, in advertising portraying Mastro Auctions as the premier seller of valuable items, including the world’s most expensive baseball trading card, a Honus Wagner T-206 card, Mastro allegedly failed to disclose that he had altered the Wagner T-206 card by cutting the sides in a manner that, if disclosed, would have significantly reduced the value of the card."

FYI: these guys now run legendaryauctions.com

RE: Memorabilia King Mastro indicted on fraud(shill-bidding)
You must be the devil if you are willing to alter a Wagner t-206. Reading this made my stomach turn.
[Image: rickeybanner.png]

Collecting: Rickey Henderson, Lyle Overbay, Bob Coluccio and Jerome Iginla

(07-25-2012, 11:27 PM)stevep0422 Wrote: You must be the devil if you are willing to alter a Wagner t-206. Reading this made my stomach turn.
+1

No respect for the hobby if you would do that, off with his head!
Collect Andrew McCutchen, Roberto Clemente and most current/vintage Pirates. Some Braves Dynasty like Maddux, Klesko, Javy & Chipper.

[Image: cutchbanner.jpg]

The fact that there isn't a news story on the front page of Beckett about the indictments having been handed down is an utter travesty.

From mod: You must have missed this: http://www.beckett.com/news/2012/07/mast...d-charges/
Sean C - Forum Moderator

not the first time they got in trouble.

also: yall do know james spence has been investigated b the fbi, right?

I say make mastro slide down a slide lined with razor blades into a vat of rubbing alcohol.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(07-26-2012, 07:50 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: I say make mastro slide down a slide lined with razor blades into a vat of rubbing alcohol.
LOL! I think that might be the worst way to die or be tortured ever.
Betts Hursh Kimbrel Smile

[Image: bd2740c1-d591-4332-b7b1-0528f205c994_zpsdbff6c02.jpg]

(07-26-2012, 05:25 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: not the first time they got in trouble.

also: yall do know james spence has been investigated b the fbi, right?
Is that the authentication company? I'm sure it's fraud related, but do you know what the specific complaints were that caused them to be investigated?

Beckett has the story on their home page now. I found it interesting that Bill Hughes of PSA KNEW it was altered but didn't disclose it. Is PSA in trouble next??

(07-26-2012, 12:25 PM)motu79 Wrote: Beckett has the story on their home page now. I found it interesting that Bill Hughes of PSA KNEW it was altered but didn't disclose it. Is PSA in trouble next??
I wonder if that Honus card really is the first card that PSA Graded?
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!