`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Are 1/1 still as Desirable?

RE: OT: Are 1/1 still as Desirable?
I am not a big collector of plates and 1/1s. Unless it's my PC guy. However, out of 69 cards in the database, 34 of them are plates or 1/1s. I don't even have a single plate or 1/1 in my Rangers PC.

I want all the 1/1's I can get my hands on of my PC player... I know I will never own them all... but I will die trying... I see a TON of people not counting 1/1's in their percentages, but I do...

I like 1/1's. True 1/1's that si no ebay 1/1 crap. But unfortunately my guy has 236 of them. But I too believe that it drives the prices down on them. Now if I could only find them.
[Image: cbeg-2.jpg]
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/Da...or%20Sale/
Chris Henry Collection Items:811/423 MEM:307/152 AUTO:395/175 Ser #'d:711/343 RC:38/37

There are 3 main things that diminish the value of serial numbered cards, specifically 1/1s.
1) Too many parallels of the same card with no change other than a different background or foil color.
2) The "eBay 1/1" cards that get novice collector's confused about what a 1/1 really means.
3) The more 1/1s made of a particular player the less fight there is from collectors to get a specific 1/1. As there are some collectors that have realized they will never own all of the 1/1s and have decided to stop trying to get any at all, or are content with owning just one 1/1 card of a particular player.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

i agree with the majority...dont like plates, but i will try to get my pc guy's 1/1's
[Image: 9F306E21-7461-40F2-9F1D-AECEC32DB0F3-305...10b87e.jpg]

Drew Brees
True RC 66/66 (100%)
2001 323/359 (90%) AU - 64 Mem - 76
Total AU - 127

(06-22-2012, 12:39 PM)djohn Wrote: There are 3 main things that diminish the value of serial numbered cards, specifically 1/1s.
1) Too many parallels of the same card with no change other than a different background or foil color.
2) The "eBay 1/1" cards that get novice collector's confused about what a 1/1 really means.
3) The more 1/1s made of a particular player the less fight there is from collectors to get a specific 1/1. As there are some collectors that have realized they will never own all of the 1/1s and have decided to stop trying to get any at all, or are content with owning just one 1/1 card of a particular player.

Good post!
2012 Beckett "Super Collector"

Numbering doesn't determine if I want the card or not, and the fact that my PC guy is on it doesn't necessarily mean I want it either. For instance, I saw the Certified Black 1/1 on Ebay. Easy decision to pass. They changed the color and stamped a "1/1" on it. No thanks. On the other hand, I ponied up for the National Treasures 1/1 below. I wanted the card because it was a great card. It happened to be a 1/1, but I have to like the card enough to buy it!

[Image: Arianprobowltrophy1.jpg]

I guess the point i was trying to make is that 4 or 5 years ago it was alot harder to get a 1/1 whether you pull or buy it. It was the Cornerstone of your PC's now you can jump on Ebay and the only thing you have to decide is if you want to pay the asking price.

To go with my example in my original post there are 3 Lamichael james 1/1 on Ebay right now.

I don't do any printing plates. They work for some. For me, a card has to be something I enjoy looking at. That isn't printing plates.

I am a fan of 1/1 cards that are different from the base set, like Certified Freshman Fabric Black autos. I stopped buying Triple Threads because I got tired of all the variations and "white whale" cards.

I'm not big fan of 1/1's that just have a different background, unless it looks nice. I happen to like the look of 2010 Elite but hated 2011 Elite.

The advantage of a lot of 1/1s out there is, if you do pick them up occasionally, it gives you a gauge on what you might pay for one.