`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Products to Buy

Good Products to Buy
Have been mainly buying basketball since around 2003-04 with some purchases of baseball packs at the local card shops packwars from around 04-08. I have not purchased any baseball packs/boxes since then. I am kind of sick of basketball and will be heading to the National in Baltimore (been going for 7 years now) and want to start buying baseball boxes instead of basketball.

What are some good boxes to purchase? I am not really into getting prospect cards which is why I have stayed away from a lot of baseball in the past because I felt that's what baseball cards focused on. I am kind of coming around to the idea of it and know that Bowman is very good for the propect cards.

Thanks for your help.

RE: Good Products to Buy
Depends on your budget and what you want to collect?

Do you like collecting sets? Then base Topps, Heritage or a set like Gypsy Queen or Allen & Ginter would be good.

If you only want big hits, and if your budget allows for it, Tribute and other higher end products would be good.

Bowman and it's related brands as you noted are good if you like rookies/prospects.

If you collect certain players, look to the checklists and find what sets have more cards of that player.

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

I have had some fun with Gypsy Queen as of late. I never come up short and always get more than I pay for, in my personal opinion.

JonathanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(06-06-2012, 01:46 PM)ceocards Wrote: Depends on your budget and what you want to collect?

Do you like collecting sets? Then base Topps, Heritage or a set like Gypsy Queen or Allen & Ginter would be good.

If you only want big hits, and if your budget allows for it, Tribute and other higher end products would be good.

Bowman and it's related brands as you noted are good if you like rookies/prospects.

If you collect certain players, look to the checklists and find what sets have more cards of that player.
My budget this year will be quite a bit lower than in previous years. I am a 22 year old college student who doesn't have too much money, but I will be going to the show with my two older brothers and cousin who are going to spend a decent amount of money. I would be surpised if I spend more than $500-$600 on the week being there. I guess I am just looking for some boxes that I have a chance to get a big pull of a old timer or current star more than rookies and prospects. Hope that helps some and thanks for your help.

(06-06-2012, 01:59 PM)drtithof Wrote: My budget this year will be quite a bit lower than in previous years. I am a 22 year old college student who doesn't have too much money, but I will be going to the show with my two older brothers and cousin who are going to spend a decent amount of money. I would be surpised if I spend more than $500-$600 on the week being there. I guess I am just looking for some boxes that I have a chance to get a big pull of a old timer or current star more than rookies and prospects. Hope that helps some and thanks for your help.
topps ier one comes out on the 20th i believe, there is 1 pack per box and it looks like ut has some solid cards, they are about $90 a box right now so u could prolly pick up a few boxes of it based on ur budget

(06-06-2012, 01:59 PM)drtithof Wrote: I guess I am just looking for some boxes that I have a chance to get a big pull of a old timer or current star more than rookies and prospects. Hope that helps some and thanks for your help.

Yeah if you're looking for 'pulls' - then tier one or tribute would be where I'd start.

But honestly, if that's really all you're after, I'd skip the box and focus on buying a few of the cards that meet your wants at the show. Buying boxes is a crapshoot - as long as you don't mind 'losing' most of the time, it's fine for the thrill and fun of busting boxes. If you do it though EXPECTING to get a big hit though, you're only going to end up disappointed.

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

(06-06-2012, 03:11 PM)ceocards Wrote: Yeah if you're looking for 'pulls' - then tier one or tribute would be where I'd start.

But honestly, if that's really all you're after, I'd skip the box and focus on buying a few of the cards that meet your wants at the show. Buying boxes is a crapshoot - as long as you don't mind 'losing' most of the time, it's fine for the thrill and fun of busting boxes. If you do it though EXPECTING to get a big hit though, you're only going to end up disappointed.
That is 100% true. I have had some really good luck in the past and love busting boxes for the thrill. I don't really collect anyone or anything in particular so I feel like busting boxes is the most fun. I will pick up some Tigers autographs if they are available, but it is a little more difficult in Baltimore than when the National is in Chicago or Cleveland.