`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ebay - Your Opinion (mini rant)

Ebay - Your Opinion (mini rant)
I was completing some feedback on a couple buyers yesterday and just started looking at the details for my own feedback as a seller and was a bit surprised by something.

My detailed seller ratings for the last twelve months total 52 different feedback scores. My overall rating is still 100% but when I look at these 52 you get stars for item as described, seller communication, shipping time, and shipping and handling charges. A prefect score is 5.0 or all 5s. What surprised me was my score for shipping and handling charges is 4.7/5.0.

I only sell BGS graded cards and I only ship them in size 000 bubble mailers. I charge the same for every auction -$3.50. Postage costs me $1.95, I buy the mailers in 5 packs for about .89 each. That leaves a total of 66 cents to cover my time to pack the card, drive to the post office, and stand in line to mail the card. Does this seem excessive to you?

I also only do auction style and sell most of the cards for less than it cost me to have them graded. As I have mentioned before I've been changing my PC so I figure cut my losses rather than have a bunch of cards that I don't want laying around so I sell them cheap. I guess I could try a buy it now/best offer and say free shipping...but I doubt I would sell many since I sell most of these cards for less than $10.

http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

RE: Ebay - Your Opinion (mini rant)
Not excessive, but $3.50 is on the higher end of what most people consider "normal"...so it doesn't surprise me that you're getting knocked a point or two. Not that I necessarily agree with it...just that it doesn't surprise me.

89c per mailer is pretty expensive - try buying them in bulk (on Ebay you can get 100 for $13-14 - or 13-14c each. That would cut a good 75c off your handling costs).

Also play around with different pricing models - if you're starting a card for $5 with shipping of $3.50; try starting the card at $9 with free shipping instead. Even though the latter costs the buyer 50c more, you'd be surprised how many less people will complain about it vs. the former. And if memory serves in some cases you'll get an automatic "5" with free shipping (check Ebay for the details - I don't know them off the top of my head)

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

Yep Chris you're right, automatic 5 for free shipping.

I'm not saying it's right, but buyers have gotten to where they expect FREE shipping, mostly due to eBay pushing this on sellers so they those items get better exposure. If you do charge something for shipping, most buyers expect to pay no more than what the postage label says, ie a 3 ounce package costs $1.64 on Paypal, so they should pay no more than that.

Again, I'm not saying it's right, but it's just how it is now. I also agree with Chris that $3.50 is pretty high, even shipping a graded card. Buyers don't like having to pay for your shipping supplies or time to package, they feel it should already be calculated into your operating cost.

Just as an example, I sell Knives and Survival/Outdoor Gear. I've got just over 50 items in my store and maybe 2 have shipping cost because they're low margin items and I have to(even with those, I charge less than it actually costs me to ship), the rest are free shipping, with the amount it costs to pack and ship each item already figured into the buy it now price.
[Image: Evil_Dead2.gif]

I'm not sure how many items you typically sell or how many trades you make but buying bubble mailers in bulk makes alot of sense. I do it and it saves me a ton of money. I buy mine on ebay dirt cheap and have never had a problem. I usually charge $2.50 for single cards to be shipped which I think is reasonable and still make a few cents (literally). $3.50 isn't a deal breaker but it is on the higher end of shipping.

It's tough because eBay expects everything to be shipped for free. That's crazy for an item sold for $3-5. With fees, supplies, and shipping, it's essentially a free card.

I don't offer free shipping on anything under $25. I guess I'll have to reconsider that approach.

As a buyer, if something is shipped to me in a piece of cardboard and a barely padded envelope, I do ding the seller when I'm charged over $3.00 for shipping, especially if the item does not have delivery confirmation.

If a seller sends an item in a magnetic holder, even if it's an old recycled one, I'll give him a pass as long as he doesn't charge more than $3.50.

In the end, it really doesn't matter as long as the item gets there and in a timely manner. If it's a $1.00 for shipping, you might get dinged by buyers who expect you to do it for nothing.

Another thing to keep in mind as a general rule people will figure in your shipping when bidding for example you $10bv card they will more than likely not pay over 50% bv so if you have $3.50 on average people will only bid $1.50.
[Image: TotallySports.png]
Collecting Steven Jackson, Sam Bradford, Peyton Manning, Derek Jeter,Andre Ethier, Clayton Kershaw, Rickey Henderson, Kobe Bryant
http://s992.photobucket.com/user/datsyukguy/library/

(05-22-2012, 03:34 PM)totally sports Wrote: Another thing to keep in mind as a general rule people will figure in your shipping when bidding for example you $10bv card they will more than likely not pay over 50% bv so if you have $3.50 on average people will only bid $1.50.
+1 i do this all of the time. i usually try to stay way from the 3.50 shipping. i am not a seller, so i dont know all of the fees and costs.
just speaking as a buyer...if i see free shipping or lower shipping...i am willing to pay more for the card
[Image: 9F306E21-7461-40F2-9F1D-AECEC32DB0F3-305...10b87e.jpg]

Drew Brees
True RC 66/66 (100%)
2001 323/359 (90%) AU - 64 Mem - 76
Total AU - 127

I'm in the same boat. My shipping and handling star rating is barely above 4.8 and I only charge $2.50. All my auctions start at $.99 and all my cards are mailed in penny sleeves, top loaders, team bags, and a bubble mailer. I'm thinking of changing to free shipping and starting my auctions at $2.99 but haven't looked to see if the eBay fees are higher for starting auctions above $1.00.

I guess you can't please everyone is the way I look at it.

(05-22-2012, 03:31 PM)melcmd Wrote: It's tough because eBay expects everything to be shipped for free. That's crazy for an item sold for $3-5. With fees, supplies, and shipping, it's essentially a free card.

I don't offer free shipping on anything under $25. I guess I'll have to reconsider that approach.

As a buyer, if something is shipped to me in a piece of cardboard and a barely padded envelope, I do ding the seller when I'm charged over $3.00 for shipping, especially if the item does not have delivery confirmation.

If a seller sends an item in a magnetic holder, even if it's an old recycled one, I'll give him a pass as long as he doesn't charge more than $3.50.

In the end, it really doesn't matter as long as the item gets there and in a timely manner. If it's a $1.00 for shipping, you might get dinged by buyers who expect you to do it for nothing.
Oh there's no doubt about that! There are some crazy vindictive buyers out there that always expect something for nothing and want it the day after they paid, 4 days after the listing ended, lol.
[Image: Evil_Dead2.gif]

I ship cards for $2.00 in a bubble mailer, team bag, and a pack filler so it doesn't get bent. I have 4.8 for shipping charges and for shipping speed I have 4.9 and I ship out same day or next day at the latest. So IMO people are just ridiculous when they would charge more shipping and take longer to ship for their cards.
[Image: Banner.jpg]
Sports Card Album
Contenders Collection
UF: 39/46 (84.8%)
Phins: 14/56 (25.0%)