`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why , Why, Why do people do this!!!!!!

Why , Why, Why do people do this!!!!!!
I put all my auctions on a certain auction site as Buy it now or best offer. Why do people make two low ball offers and then ask what I will accept as my cheapest offer???

Don't ask!!!!! Just make the third and final offer and move on .....if it is enough, then I have it set up to accept, if not, you lose for being cheap!!!!

I hate to act bitter, but doesn't the entire line of questioning defeat the purpose???

End of rant... sorry for wasting your time.

www.cardboardglory.com - Sortable checklists and other interesting hobby info

RE: Why , Why, Why do people do this!!!!!!
Just give him a number that will be profitable for you lol. It should give you an advantage mentally as they will start to panic thinking they might not get the card otherwise and you can sell.

I don't see the problem....

That's a perfectly valid question. You don't have to answer of course, but I don't see why asking the question is wrong. On a side note, am I the only one that refuses to ever even look at BIN auctions with a best offer option? As far as I am concerned, that is every bit as annoying as auctions with hidden reserves....

I have no problem with best offers, Ive gotten a lot of good deals on them.

(05-15-2012, 04:00 PM)chester2002 Wrote: I put all my auctions on a certain auction site as Buy it now or best offer. Why do people make two low ball offers and then ask what I will accept as my cheapest offer???

Don't ask!!!!! Just make the third and final offer and move on .....if it is enough, then I have it set up to accept, if not, you lose for being cheap!!!!

I hate to act bitter, but doesn't the entire line of questioning defeat the purpose???

End of rant... sorry for wasting your time.
Because perhaps in their mind what they offered was fair and they are trying to gauge what you actually want/ think is a fair offer as you are stating you are taking offers as opposed to just stating the Buy It Now price is what you are willing to take.

I'd like the Buy it Now best offer option, except 9 out of 10 times my offer is just ignored and my money is committed to having to sit there for two days until the system clears that the offer has expired because the seller isn't responding. (and my offers are always educated fair ones or above previous sales if I want it bad enough)

why do you use ebay?! lol
[Image: bannernew.jpg]

See my bucket organized by sport and then by player or team: http://s174.photobucket.com/user/thump17er/library/Basketball%20Scans?sort=6&page=1

When I do use the BIN option as a seller, I'll occasionally use the best offer option as well. In this regard, I get a good laugh once in awhile. I recently sold two things through the best offer option. I set my listing price a little higher than what I would be willing to take.

The first guy gives his offer, which was far below what I was willing to take and much less than any others recently sold at. So, I immediately dropped my price down to what I was willing to take which was right in line with recent sales. Never heard back. I know sellers get slammed for not responding to best offers or countering, but the buyers are doing the exact same thing plenty of times when the seller responds with a counteroffer. AND, most of the time, if that IS the best offer, they probably have a very small collection.

The second guy came along and gave his initial offer exactly at what I was willing to take and it was accepted.

I know plenty of people who are buying on ebay are pretty knowledgeable and probably take a look at past sales on something. (Likely a huge assumption) So I think it's safe to say that many know they are sending a low-ball offer when they do. Like I said, I usually will list a best offer option just for kicks. When they do low-ball and don't respond to a counter offer, I just put them on my blocked bidder list.

As a buyer, I look at buy it now and best offer listings all the time. I know what I'm comfortable spending so I look for it. If they are slightly higher than I'm willing to pay, I've been pretty successful on the best offer option and I explain (politely) how I came to my offer. I think if more buyers actually communicated, politely, they would get farther. Simply shooting out a very low number and/or knocking the card as a reason why the seller should sell so low is not going to help the buyers case. Why some people knock a card (I've run into that in the past here while trading) is beyond me. It's like saying "Man, you've got a piece of trash that I really want!". Doesn't make sense.

I am mostly a buyer on eBay so I see no issue with sending someone an offer on something even if there is no BEST OFFER option. I do a lot of research and know what a fair price is. Sometimes I low ball especially if I have watched an item and it has gone through several cycles and think there might be a chance the seller may want to dump it. They may ignore me, shoot me a rude message, send me a counteroffer that they would like to get, or they don't respond at all, OR accept it! I don't really care most of the time. Even if it is a low ball offer, there is some interest. If you have a BEST OFFER option, and they low ball you, there is a feature that automatically declines if it is too low and it bothers you. If you want to respond to all best offers, then tell them what you are willing to accept. Don't waste time on unimportant issues and certainly don't let low ballers rent space in your head. Gotta have a thicker skin than that if you are going to sell on eBay IMHO!
Collecting:
Matt Kemp AUTOS
Dodger GU & AUTO
2009 Ultimate or Legendary Collection Quad / Auto - ALL
Mantle cards
2001 Fleer Greats of the Game AUTO 92/94 - 97.8% complete - missing Stargell Redemption Card and Mays SP
National League Rookie of the Year - GU, Auto, RC
____

When you get a best offer and it is too low do you send a counteroffer in return?

If you put "best offer" then you have to live with low ball offers. I'm assuming that you plugged in a minimum you'd accept as an offer and if they go below that it automatically gets rejected. I think there's a way to do that in that auction site.