`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone had issues with Inscription Autos fading?

RE: Anyone had issues with Inscription Autos fading?
Major issue with ANY autograph card on that clear plastic material.
Inscriptions, Glass, Laser View Inscriptions, Auto Focus, Behind the Glass

All subject to fading if exposed to light. Gotta lock those suckers away once pulled from packs.

I've got a Dave Brown form that set you cant even make out the auto on anymore.
NY Giants and HOF/legend/superstar collector.
[Image: GiantsFade.png]

RE: Need a question answered regarding auto. Please help
(04-09-2012, 09:05 PM)xxbigjohn79xx Wrote: damm thats a tough one, usually if the card is perserved well and not around moisture or anything like that the auto should stay pretty solid.
+1
(04-09-2012, 11:39 PM)bakerman8419 Wrote: I would suggest wiping the remaining part of his auto off the card and seeing if you can get him to sign it in person at a show. I dont think there is anything wrong with that personally. Not sure if others would have a problem with that type of practice but to me it would be legit.
only problem is his signature would look totally different than the other sigs from that signing .... casting doubt even with a COA

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

fluorescent lighting and sunlight are 2 of the biggest things that will cause an auto to fade, especially if your storing them out in the open, where the light can get to it, it's always best to keep them in a dark closet unless, your looking through them.

As for keeping moisture out, go to your local shoe store and ask them for some of the little silicone gel packets that are put in the shoe boxes to keep moisture out, and put one in each box of cards or whatever you store them in, it helps keep the moisture down.
the bucket
http://postimage.org/Shez

WANTED:
2006 FLAIR SHOWCASE SIGNATURES #/35

(04-10-2012, 05:21 AM)creativemunky Wrote: Major issue with ANY autograph card on that clear plastic material.
Inscriptions, Glass, Laser View Inscriptions, Auto Focus, Behind the Glass

All subject to fading if exposed to light. Gotta lock those suckers away once pulled from packs.
I do not recall all the specifics of the scientific explanation to me, but I think it went like this
The thing that causes fading is the light waves moving through the ink on the card... the light waves actually "microwave" the ink at a low rate causing it to slowly deteriorate. The clear cards make it worse because it does not have any backing to cause the light waves to stop and they move freely. If a card is HIGHLY glossed, it have a thin layer between the actual cardboard and the signature, causing it to fade easier. The thing that makes an autograph last is the autograph being directly on the card, without any glossing. This is why the sticker autographs are holographic, the hologram reflects the light away making it more difficult to fade easily when compared to a clear sticker, but it does not make it less likely to fade than a glossy card. Baseballs and footballs are porous so the ink/light waves react in the tiny holes to eat away the autograph.

So, to make a long story short (one that may be soooo wrong its stupid. LOL) is to keep a solid WHITE (reflects the most light) piece of paper or card board behind your clear autograph cards. The thicker the clear card, though, the less this will work.
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

Or it could be worse and after years of testing (got this info directly from the rep at Upper Deck at the time) - the ball glove and football piece cards that they made - will simply fade/eat the autograph! Case in point - the 2 Baileys I'm showing below. And these are my OLD scans. If I were to scan them now, you can barely make out that there was EVER an auto on them. (I've never had these cards out of a sealed box other than to scan them). My friend has a couple of the sweet spot glove cards in baseball and the same thing happened. Cannot use these black pens on this material. It completely fades out leaving you with basically nothing. But yet UD "tested" this out and nothing happened. Whatever. I hate being lied to, especially to my face.

[Image: 07SweetSpotblack25.jpg][Image: 07SweetSpotRed5.jpg]

However, the silver paint pens seem to be holding up fine - they should have just stuck with those instead!!
[Image: scan0012.jpg][Image: 07SweetSpotGoldauto1front.jpg]
[Image: 00PandPSigpiece2_2424.jpg]

Collecting: Travis Fryman, Champ Bailey, Steve
Largent, Steve Yzerman, Brian Holzinger, Mike Johnson and Jordan Sigalet.

Thanks all for your help/advice. I know that I have had the Marino in a screw down ever since I have had the card. I have not pulled it out since I have put it in there, but obviously can tell that the auto is gone. I would love to get another auto on it, but again it would not serve its justice without being the original auto. Plus if I were to have him sign it at a show he would charge probably $100 or so which would not even be worth it since he has so damn many autos out there. Good luck on all your collecting guys.

(04-12-2012, 12:04 AM)13mymandan Wrote: Thanks all for your help/advice. I know that I have had the Marino in a screw down ever since I have had the card. I have not pulled it out since I have put it in there, but obviously can tell that the auto is gone. I would love to get another auto on it, but again it would not serve its justice without being the original auto. Plus if I were to have him sign it at a show he would charge probably $100 or so which would not even be worth it since he has so damn many autos out there. Good luck on all your collecting guys.
Please do not ever but any valuable card in a screw down unless it is in a penny sleeve also, especially auto cards.

the cards have a tendency to stick to the screw down if they have been in it awhile, and when you open it up, it literally, pulls some of the front or back of the card off.

even in magnetic's always have the card in a penny sleeve before putting it in the case.
the bucket
http://postimage.org/Shez

WANTED:
2006 FLAIR SHOWCASE SIGNATURES #/35

Also, be observant when purchasing these Laserview autos online. I saw one on an auction site that appeared to have the auto traced over with another pen. It was in black ink so that raised a red flag for me.
[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]