`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1952 Topps Mantle

1952 Topps Mantle
Friend of mine apparently has a 1952 Mickey Mantle. Every time I mention my cards on Facebook she name drops it. I think it is the only card in her collection.

Recently me and her have been going back and forth about it on my wall (I jokingly offered to buy it once she had it authenticated by BGS/PSA/SGC) after I posted a link to some of my stuff.

I've asked her time and time again to let me look at it since that sort of opportunity never comes around in my neck of the woods. Plus since she's not really into cards like we all are I'm curious as to if she really has this card or did she pick up a reprint in the 90s not knowing any better.

Then I started wondering if maybe it's for her husband, but she's now saying next time she's at her mom and dad's she's going to take a picture of it. She also said she doesn't think she'll sell it until retirement time. I've told her that while it's the most sought after card in the post WWII collecting world, it's still not enough to retire on.

In any case, it's South Louisiana. Floods can happen ANYTIME and I'm sure the card isn't stored in the most ideal of situations. I harp on her everytime to send it in for grading.

Any ideas on advice I can send her way? (Also feel free to dispense advice on how I can haggle her into gifting it to me)
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

RE: 1952 Topps Mantle
Safety deposit box.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

(02-25-2012, 04:20 PM)cptnemo66 Wrote: Safety deposit box.
in a higher elevated state like in Idaho.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

Hope she has it insured, It will come in handy if your house is ever hit by a tornado like mine was.

I think if she wants to eventually sell it, she needs to get it graded or authenticated. I don't know anyone who would drop the kind of money it would take to get that card without knowing for certain it was real
[Image: Boston.jpg]

Well depending on condition it could be used as some type of retirement play if its real. Can you imagine what a BVG 9.5 of that card would sell for?
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

Definitely get it graded and put into a safe deposit box

Thank you everyone. Seems the fine members of Beckett have validated everything I've said to her.

Incidentally, my grandmother saw me and the friend bantering on facebook about the Mantle and she sent me a message saying apparently my Aunt's ex husband had some Mantle cards at some point.

REALLY??? Mantle's in the family and no one tells me until AFTER he split?
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

Get it graded. If nothing else, it will be better protected than however it is now.

JonathanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.