`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Operation Get NEW COLLECTORS

Operation Get NEW COLLECTORS
I think all of us as collectors want the hobby to survive. Well news flash there are not that many young collectors. So I think everyone should try and get either a niece, nephew, cousin, neighbor, whoever to start up a collection. This hobby is going to be dead in years to come if some youth does not come in. If everyone could atleast get someone to entertain the idea then that will do nothing but good. Thats why we give away so much free stuff at our shop and teach cubscouts about the hobby. So this is a semi rant/ semi preach lol. And if you do successfully get someone to start collecting congrats!
[Image: kc.png]

THE KEARY COLBERT HOARD NOW HAS OVER 500 DIFFERENT CARDS!
& MORE THAN 1500+ WITH 500+ AUTOS

RE: Operation Get NEW COLLECTORS
I'll do what I can.
[Image: newbanner_zps2f5eedb8.jpg]
Collect: Aaron Rodgers, Mike Evans, & Felix Hernandez,
"2 rules for success. #1 Dont tell them everything you know."
http://photobucket.com/4TRADEFAVRE3MVP

Sorry, don't know any kids, lol. But I wonder if it's because there's so many high $ cards out there now? When I was young, you just wanted the RC or a cool insert. Now you have to have cash to buy a pack of something worthwhile.
Resident Joique Bell Hoarder!

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/monsterx

i was into it when i was a kid. then lost interest around 2000. i turned 28 last year and got back into collecting again really badly lol. most kids dont get into it nowa days bc of their lack of intrest in sports. 80% of kids into sports get into collecting. ive seen quite a few kids from 12-17 come in my local shop.
and a lot of it is marketing. there is no "gimmicks" that generate intrest for younger kids aside from autos and jerseys. and they cant get em bc of grown up 35 year olds goin pack searching at walmart and sell them on ebay.

the days of a 10 year old kid going to the store, and putting every card out of a pack of baseball cards into an album are LONG gone. times change and some things that are popular wont always will be. some die out, some die out and come back.

I think with that new show coming on ABC, it will spark the interests of many new collectors. Ball Boys will be about the hobby and a particular sports card shop. I've got my two young daughters already interested. Its kind of cute seeing them at 2 and 4 years old marvel over my Ohio State cards.
Eddie George Super Collector

Any idea when it will be on?

(02-17-2012, 12:51 PM)ZeroDave Wrote: I think with that new show coming on ABC, it will spark the interests of many new collectors. Ball Boys will be about the hobby and a particular sports card shop. I've got my two young daughters already interested. Its kind of cute seeing them at 2 and 4 years old marvel over my Ohio State cards.

My daughter is taking to it pretty fast. Especially since Danica was put on cardboard. I was at my LCS last weekend and a Dad and Son looking to find a hobby they could work on together. They were there trying to find an Auto of a famous name football player that they both new. Dad seemed to only know old school (Marino, Montana..etc..)He was looking to spend $20-$25. The LSC almost laughed at him when he asked if there was an auto of someone like that they both would know. And he proceeded to tell him he should just buy a few random packs and hope for the best. When the dad found out the cost of what RC or lots of random cards cost he finally told his son that they can't afford to get into cards due to it costing soooo much now and they left. Made me want to buy them 1 just to keep the card world alive. A year into the collecting myself and don't have auto or GU of any of them..lol. IMO the cost is hurting the future of cards...as most things in this world from being collected.

(02-17-2012, 01:25 PM)bott2711 Wrote: My daughter is taking to it pretty fast. Especially since Danica was put on cardboard. I was at my LCS last weekend and a Dad and Son looking to find a hobby they could work on together. They were there trying to find an Auto of a famous name football player that they both new. Dad seemed to only know old school (Marino, Montana..etc..)He was looking to spend $20-$25. The LSC almost laughed at him when he asked if there was an auto of someone like that they both would know. And he proceeded to tell him he should just buy a few random packs and hope for the best. When the dad found out the cost of what RC or lots of random cards cost he finally told his son that they can't afford to get into cards due to it costing soooo much now and they left. Made me want to buy them 1 just to keep the card world alive. A year into the collecting myself and don't have auto or GU of any of them..lol. IMO the cost is hurting the future of cards...as most things in this world from being collected.
That's kinda where I was going with my post, but your story helps. It's too expensive and such a business now, that kids can't really afford to be a part of the game anymore.
Resident Joique Bell Hoarder!

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/monsterx

(02-17-2012, 01:00 PM)fishtaco02 Wrote: Any idea when it will be on?
Looks like it starts March 24th at 3pm ET. Which honestly seems too early to me, but since I work nights, I'll still be able to watch it. Otherwise I'll just DVR it.
(02-17-2012, 01:25 PM)bott2711 Wrote: My daughter is taking to it pretty fast. Especially since Danica was put on cardboard. I was at my LCS last weekend and a Dad and Son looking to find a hobby they could work on together. They were there trying to find an Auto of a famous name football player that they both new. Dad seemed to only know old school (Marino, Montana..etc..)He was looking to spend $20-$25. The LSC almost laughed at him when he asked if there was an auto of someone like that they both would know. And he proceeded to tell him he should just buy a few random packs and hope for the best. When the dad found out the cost of what RC or lots of random cards cost he finally told his son that they can't afford to get into cards due to it costing soooo much now and they left. Made me want to buy them 1 just to keep the card world alive. A year into the collecting myself and don't have auto or GU of any of them..lol. IMO the cost is hurting the future of cards...as most things in this world from being collected.
I've seen that too many times now. For some of use like myself that have been collecting since we were young, I started 20 years ago when I was 5, its a bit easier to do it. The price is a bit high, but I work hard for what I get. Its nice to find sites like beckett here, that you can trade off some of those star players for cards you really want. I personally would rather have my personal collection items, than a star autograph.
Eddie George Super Collector

wait what channel will it be on?
[Image: kc.png]

THE KEARY COLBERT HOARD NOW HAS OVER 500 DIFFERENT CARDS!
& MORE THAN 1500+ WITH 500+ AUTOS