Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BGS vs PSA, but not the usual discussion

BGS vs PSA, but not the usual discussion
OK,

I'm not looking to debate who is better or more strict or anything like that...I have jumped into eBay selling lately and during my pre-listing research I have noticed that even for post 1980 cards not only are there far more PSA cards listed and purchased on eBay, the PSA 10s generally grab between 20 and 50% more money than BGS 9.5s. Anyone care to share their thoughts?

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have only used BGS and will continue to do so despite my findings.

RE: BGS vs PSA, but not the usual discussion
Prior to the start of the 2011 NFL season, Peyton Manning's 1998 SP Authentic were approximately:

BGS 9.5s: $1100-$1250
PSA 10s: $1650-$2150

Some people think there is a $ skew for PSA or for BGS ... but ...

I don' think the skew is as pronounced as some posters imply it is. Obviously we can point to a few "outside factors" to causing the skew: (Listing end time...which is a HUGE DEAL on ebay...keywords used...again a HUGE DEAL if you don't know what you are doing with these you really should take the time to learn...start prices...seller feedback...seller standing on eBay...Top Rated Sellers get the bump in the search...listing style...and I can go on forever here...)

I am in the buy - grade - flip for profit game and if you understand keywords - search standing - and end time you'll find that no matter what you sell (PSA/BGS) you'll probably get the same value from them.

Take for example a Tom Brady Playoff Prestige RC graded 9:

PSA 9 Sold for: $89
BGS 9 Sold For: $150, $96, $90

Why the skew? Listing style, end time and keywords.

Moral of the story? If you sell/grade POST 1999 cards you'll find if you know what you are doing the maximum amount you get is going to be just about the same.

(02-15-2012, 11:28 PM)dougnash Wrote: OK,

I'm not looking to debate who is better or more strict or anything like that...I have jumped into eBay selling lately and during my pre-listing research I have noticed that even for post 1980 cards not only are there far more PSA cards listed and purchased on eBay, the PSA 10s generally grab between 20 and 50% more money than BGS 9.5s. Anyone care to share their thoughts?

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have only used BGS and will continue to do so despite my findings.
It all goes back to their Registry. People get in bidding wars b/c of PSA's Registry.
We don't have a Registry right now.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(02-16-2012, 11:27 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: It all goes back to their Registry. People get in bidding wars b/c of PSA's Registry.
We don't have a Registry right now.
Interesting...I like that response better then the "you're an idiot eBay seller" post.

(02-16-2012, 09:21 PM)dougnash Wrote: Interesting...I like that response better then the "you're an idiot eBay seller" post.
No one said you were an idiot. I was just pointing out the skew in values has more to do with eBay's crazy ranking system than the actual cards.

All things being equal in a listing you'll find the values are the same. If that's offensive then I'm not really sure how else to say it.

Yes, PSA's Registry is a very popular tool. Some people live by it.
[Image: fredwilliamson.jpg]

(02-21-2012, 12:26 PM)dahouse123 Wrote: No one said you were an idiot. I was just pointing out the skew in values has more to do with eBay's crazy ranking system than the actual cards.

All things being equal in a listing you'll find the values are the same. If that's offensive then I'm not really sure how else to say it.
I appreciate the clarification...in your original post I interpreted "you" as "me",not the generic you. I personally haven't had issues getting what I think is a fair price on what I've sold, just during my research of what sells for how much and how often I noticed that PSA 10s seem to go for more than BGS 9.5s. I typically don't list a card if there are already 100 of them for sale to avoid the problems you pointed out.

(02-15-2012, 11:28 PM)dougnash Wrote: I have jumped into eBay selling lately and during my pre-listing research I have noticed that even for post 1980 cards not only are there far more PSA cards listed and purchased on eBay.
That's because PSA has been grading cards longer.

(02-15-2012, 11:28 PM)dougnash Wrote: OK,

I tried to point this out in forum months ago but you probably articulated it better than me. Your original post is spot on. Its apparent some collectors are more enthusiastic about PSA 10 and willing to get into bidding wars hence the higher prices. Its not hard to notice this on Ebay. I collect mostly Brady RCs and last week I bought Brady Omega BGS 9.5 with all strong subs for $565 and the PSA 10 sold same day for over 1K. Then a Brady SP Authentic .5 away from BGS Pristine only sold for $1500 and week earlier two PSA 10's sold around $2800. So if you ever hear "BGS 9.5 = PSA 10" phrase it is BS. There is nothing to prevent me from cracking out the Omega BGS 9.5 I bought and having it sent and graded a PSA 10 and then reselling it next week for $500 profit. I could do this as long as the market is there for PSA 10s. Once PSA 10s become more abundant in pop reports the prices MIGHT start to inch closer to BGS 9.5 prices.

At the moment there is a definite problem in disparity of prices. Clearly there are many BGS 9.5 that are in fact much better condition than some PSA 10s. BGS made a big mistake using 9.5 in their grading system. If they want to help their business they should remove it and adopt the same grading scale as PSA but no chance of that happening. In the long run they are only hurting themselves and the people who are religious to BGS grading.