`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed re USPS international shipping

Help needed re USPS international shipping
Hi, I need some help regarding shipping from the U.S to Europe. I'm thinking of doing a few TTM attempts and, considering that I'm in Europe, the return envelope must be postage stamped in the U.S.

From trades and purchases on the Bay I have seen various ways of postage on U.S. originated mail. I have received envelopes wih regular stamps, but mostly I'm getting envelopes with a big green square-shaped sticker on which the sender indicates the contents and value.

The latter seems to me like something you'd have to do in a mail office so that's not an option.

Is it possible to send a trading card in a bubblepadded envelope internationally using just ordinary mail stamps? If so, how much would you suggest I put on the envelope? Any other suggestions or things I should keep in mind?

Thanks for helping out!

RE: Help needed re USPS international shipping
I wish I could help you out. Some countries costs only a buck or two more, and others are like 5 dollars more. I do know you can use just stamps though! Just not sure on the number!
Collecting Jimmer Fredette.

ttm international?

that might be problematic...you have to have customs form both ways, an you cant fill out th customs form for the package coming back to you

Shipping from US to different countries does have different costs. Some countries are more expensive than others. What I don't get, is a few countries (i.e. HK, Taiwan) can ship registered mail for $4-5, but when I ship to them, it is almost 3x that much... not fair for me.

regarding the green customs sticker, I would believe if you can get somebody to send you some blank ones, you fill them out, but don't sign them. Put them on the return envelopes & state on your letter that you would like the athlete and/or sender to sign the customs sheet. I do not think there is anything wrong (illegal) with that, because you are not signing the form.

Regarding international shipping, I'd recommend checking out USPS.com & see what the site comes up with. It would be ok to use stamps, or if you are sending a card & using bubblemailers, then you might be able to print the shipping label using paypal... I haven't used paypal to ship, outside of selling off ebay. If it is a trade, I usually take the cards to the post office & have them stamp the envelope with postage costs.

Good luck.
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

You have to have a customs form when shipping from the U.S. to overseas because the terrorists won....LOL

You can accomplish this if there is a U.S. Post Master near you, yes near you.

Is there any US military bases or posts near you??? Are you buddies with any service members, American or European that could go by an on base PO and snag a handfull for you??. Plus I think you could probably have usps send you the custom forms or find an online version on the website..maybe?

You have posed a question I have never researched or considered before, so these are just a shot in the dark from an ex-servicemember that has shipped to the U.S. from overseas.
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

I wouldn't recommend the online customs form. I filled out a couple of them, one was when I sold my Lebron Exquisite box auto set... Two different people at my local Post office said I don't need the long form, just the little green customs form.. I told them I was shipping a collectible.. they just told me to write sports cards or collectible cards on the green customs form, write the addresses & sign.. simple. no hassle. I still used the ebay/paypal shipping though.. because of the dollar value. Cheaper items I just used bubble-mailer & wrote the address & then had USPS stamp the postage..

if there are no US Post Office or any bases/military friends, then I'd recommend.... If you do any trades with US collectors, ask them to throw in a few custom forms for you..
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

(02-15-2012, 08:33 PM)jpleazme805 Wrote: if there are no US Post Office or any bases/military friends, then I'd recommend.... If you do any trades with US collectors, ask them to throw in a few custom forms for you..
That is why we pay you the "Big Bucks" around here....LOL, good thinking.
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

First of all thanks a bunch for your input. Unfortunately, it looks like this is getting more complicated than I had anticipated...

(02-15-2012, 09:17 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: you have to have customs form both ways
That's not completely accurate, shipping from Spain to the States I have never had to do any customs declarations. Then again, my trades have never been of particular high value so that might also have played a role.

(02-15-2012, 11:44 AM)jpleazme805 Wrote: I would believe if you can get somebody to send you some blank ones, you fill them out, but don't sign them.
Why shouldn't I sign them?

I suppose I could indeed get a few of those forms through trades and such. If I'd fill them out, stick em onto the return envelope together with sufficient stamps, would that be sufficient for the player to just drop it into a mailbox?

Ehmm... which leads me to think. How does posting mail work in the U.S.? Are there mailboxes out in the street to drop your mail into, or do you have to go to a post office? LOL, sorry I really don't know, have only been in the States once and that was for only a week..

I have NEVER had to fill out a customs form for international first class mail. I sent a small bubble mailer to France last week. Walked into the post office, handed it over, paid $2.57, walked out the door. (#000 4 in. x 7 in. USPS Kraft bubble mailer) If you want it to go registered, that is another thing. But regular first class international can be sent from any mailbox if it has enough postage. No need for forms as long as it weighs less than 13 oz.

https://www.usps.com/send/first-class-international.htm?

I might be wrong, but I think you only need to fill in a customs form if you declare that the item is a 'small packet' (i.e. goods) as opposed to a 'printed papers' (i.e. a letter).

At least that's the case in the UK.

For years I got away with sending cards as 'printed papers' (i.e. in small bubble envelopes) but eventually the Post Office realised that I was actually sending goods and started charging me for 'small packets' (which costs about 50% extra, so it's not a big deal) and, as a result, I now have to fill in a customs form.

I receive cards from the USA nearly every day and they nearly always have a customs form on them.

Folkertino, I wish I knew the answer to your question about whether Americans can just put their international mail into a post box (as opposed to having to queue up in a Post Office). If it's possible for them to just put the package in a post box, then it makes TTM requests a lot more straightforward, as all you'd need to do is ensure that the self-addressed envelope has sufficient US stamps on it and possibly a customs form, if necessary.