`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cut signatures

cut signatures
Hey everyone, I was hoping that someone would be able to help me out on a value for this card I pulled out of a 2012 Topps hobby box. It is a one of one Golden Moments Cut Signature of Rube Marquard. It looks really nice and am glad to have it as a part of my collection but just do not know enough about these cards since I have never personally pulled a one of one before. Thank you.

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh57...dfront.jpg
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh57...rdback.jpg

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: cut signatures
I would like to see it. This website is bad on attachments. Most of the people upload to photobuckett and past it on the forum.
Main Players: Derek Jeter, Mike Sweeney, Brett Hull, Jordan Binnington, Brendan Gallagher, Jaden Schwartz and Leon Draisaitl
Sets: Allen & Ginter mini, 2018 Archives, 2019 Heritage, 2019-20 OPC/Upper Deck Series 1 & 2 Hockey and 1956 Topps Baseball

If you didnt know here is a little history on him. And yes he is in the Famous T-206 set
Richard William "Rube" Marquard (October 9, 1886 – June 1, 1980) was an American left-handed pitcher in Major League Baseball in the 1910s and early 1920s. He achieved his greatest success with the New York Giants.

Born in Cleveland, Ohio, his playing rights were acquired for $13,000 – a then unheard-of sum to pay for a baseball player's contract – and his lack of success early on led to his being tagged "the $13,000 lemon". According to both Marquard himself in The Glory of Their Times and the Baseball Hall of Fame's entry on him, the price paid for his contract was actually $11,000, not $13,000. Later, however, he was to make baseball history by winning 19 decisions in a row. He allegedly celebrated by buying an opal stickpin to reward himself. Upon being told by a friend that opals were a jinx, he threw the pin into a river; but apparently the curse had already done its work, as he lost his next decision.

Despite his nickname, he was a city kid. As he told it in The Glory of the Their Times, a writer in his minor league days compared him favorably with Rube Waddell, and very soon Marquard was being called "Rube" also. He retired in 1925 with a record of 201–177 and a 3.08 ERA; his 1,593 strikeouts, at the time, ranked third in major league history among left-handers (behind Rube Waddell and Eddie Plank), and stood as the NL record for southpaws until his total was surpassed by Carl Hubbell in 1942.

Marquard in 1912Marquard was a performer in vaudeville, appearing with Blossom Seeley and later marrying her. He died in Baltimore, Maryland at age 93. Marquard is interred in Baltimore Hebrew Cemetery in Baltimore, Maryland.

He was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1971. His selection has often been criticized by the sabermetrics community, since Marquard's career adjusted ERA+ was only slightly better than league average. Bill James described Marquard as "probably the worst starting pitcher in the Hall of Fame."[1]

Marquard had been interviewed for the popular baseball book, The Glory of Their Times, in the early 1960s, and his chapter is thought to be one of the primary reasons for his election. However, most of the stories that he "recounted" were later found to be false.[2]
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

Thank you for that information. Its nice to know the history behind the guy. I will work on putting the pictures on photo bucket and getting them on here.

(02-03-2012, 10:10 PM)waynetalger Wrote: If you didnt know here is a little history on him. And yes he is in the Famous T-206 set
Richard William "Rube" Marquard (October 9, 1886 – June 1, 1980) was an American left-handed pitcher in Major League Baseball in the 1910s and early 1920s. He achieved his greatest success with the New York Giants.

Born in Cleveland, Ohio, his playing rights were acquired for $13,000 – a then unheard-of sum to pay for a baseball player's contract – and his lack of success early on led to his being tagged "the $13,000 lemon". According to both Marquard himself in The Glory of Their Times and the Baseball Hall of Fame's entry on him, the price paid for his contract was actually $11,000, not $13,000. Later, however, he was to make baseball history by winning 19 decisions in a row. He allegedly celebrated by buying an opal stickpin to reward himself. Upon being told by a friend that opals were a jinx, he threw the pin into a river; but apparently the curse had already done its work, as he lost his next decision.

Despite his nickname, he was a city kid. As he told it in The Glory of the Their Times, a writer in his minor league days compared him favorably with Rube Waddell, and very soon Marquard was being called "Rube" also. He retired in 1925 with a record of 201–177 and a 3.08 ERA; his 1,593 strikeouts, at the time, ranked third in major league history among left-handers (behind Rube Waddell and Eddie Plank), and stood as the NL record for southpaws until his total was surpassed by Carl Hubbell in 1942.

Marquard in 1912Marquard was a performer in vaudeville, appearing with Blossom Seeley and later marrying her. He died in Baltimore, Maryland at age 93. Marquard is interred in Baltimore Hebrew Cemetery in Baltimore, Maryland.

He was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1971. His selection has often been criticized by the sabermetrics community, since Marquard's career adjusted ERA+ was only slightly better than league average. Bill James described Marquard as "probably the worst starting pitcher in the Hall of Fame."[1]

Marquard had been interviewed for the popular baseball book, The Glory of Their Times, in the early 1960s, and his chapter is thought to be one of the primary reasons for his election. However, most of the stories that he "recounted" were later found to be false.[2]

That has to be a great pull from base Topps, congrats. If I were you I would keep that tucked away in my personal collection.
Thanks for sharing!
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

congrats on the pull and GO CLEMSON!
sorry had to do it when I saw your name.
[Image: bryansbanner2.jpg]
Braves certified auto count: 114 different players
HOF auto collection: 10 players
Looking for Braves auto's of current and former players.

(02-03-2012, 11:41 PM)petesahuttt Wrote: That has to be a great pull from base Topps, congrats. If I were you I would keep that tucked away in my personal collection.
Thanks for sharing!
+1!!! Did you have any other questions about the card?

Main Players: Derek Jeter, Mike Sweeney, Brett Hull, Jordan Binnington, Brendan Gallagher, Jaden Schwartz and Leon Draisaitl
Sets: Allen & Ginter mini, 2018 Archives, 2019 Heritage, 2019-20 OPC/Upper Deck Series 1 & 2 Hockey and 1956 Topps Baseball

The only other question I would have about this particular card is if it would be worth getting graded? Thank you all for your info and comments on the card. Oh and for Bryandavidknight, Go Gamecocks!!!

(02-04-2012, 09:42 AM)gamecocktcpo Wrote: The only other question I would have about this particular card is if it would be worth getting graded? Thank you all for your info and comments on the card. Oh and for Bryandavidknight, Go Gamecocks!!!
I'm guessing You are from SC? What part?
[Image: bryansbanner2.jpg]
Braves certified auto count: 114 different players
HOF auto collection: 10 players
Looking for Braves auto's of current and former players.

Yes, I am from SC however live in Texas. I am from the upstate.