Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How bout some tips for a new collector

How bout some tips for a new collector
Hey guys,

Curious if I could get a few tips on collecting. Really just looking to start up a basketball collection. Recently started searching Ebay for some new packs and it's pretty fun.

I'm beginning to think about my future son and think it would be really cool to have something to hand down to him in the years to come. I'm currently 23 so I'm hoping it's a while before that happens but I would like to share my love for the game with him one day and thought this would be a cool way to start.

Obviously the point is to buy packs and start up a collection but I'm looking to go a little more in depth than that.

Anything will help though =]

Thanks,

Kyle
Collect Stephen Curry, Monta Ellis, Ricky Rubio, Kevin Love and anything that looks cool.

[Image: biglovin2.gif]

RE: How bout some tips for a new collector
Hey Kyle, it is exciting opening packs, huh? Most of us collect a particular player, or a team... If you have a favorite, I would suggest looking into that and focus on a personal collection to build up.
[Image: MJCollage_zps3209fd89.jpg]

(01-31-2012, 11:27 PM)htowntigger Wrote: Hey Kyle, it is exciting opening packs, huh? Most of us collect a particular player, or a team... If you have a favorite, I would suggest looking into that and focus on a personal collection to build up.
Would you suggest buying only new packs? So far I've only been buying more current packs from the past few years. Also bought a prestige panini box set off ebay that I'm waiting on. Ebay seems like the place to go considering there are no new packs yet this year.
Anyone else?
Collect Stephen Curry, Monta Ellis, Ricky Rubio, Kevin Love and anything that looks cool.

(01-31-2012, 11:34 PM)Biglovin373 Wrote: Would you suggest buying only new packs? So far I've only been buying more current packs from the past few years. Also bought a prestige panini box set off ebay that I'm waiting on. Ebay seems like the place to go considering there are no new packs yet this year.
Anyone else?

Whats your favorite team? Player?

Buying packs is fun, especially when you hit something special and you grow more card-love as time past by. You should try collecting the players, teams or sets you always wanted to have when you where a kid. I think this will have more impact to your future son when he sees these amazing old cards of retired legends, hall of fame inducted legends, championship teams and very popular hard-to-build sets.
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

(01-31-2012, 11:58 PM)adiddy32 Wrote: Whats your favorite team? Player?
Favorite team would be the T-Wolves. It's been a tough few years but they're getting it together.

I don't really have a favorite player, I really like Steph Curry and Monta Ellis. I like shooters and guards, but idk... I like a lot of players.

(02-01-2012, 12:29 AM)Biglovin373 Wrote: Favorite team would be the T-Wolves. It's been a tough few years but they're getting it together.

I don't really have a favorite player, I really like Steph Curry and Monta Ellis. I like shooters and guards, but idk... I like a lot of players.
Nice team and players to start with. Be carefull with the packs in ebay though. Make sure they're not tampered with. Do you have a local card shop close to you?

Sorry for the long read...

There's a few ways you could go about this but I'll narrow it down to the two I think would be in your best interest. In my personal opinion, I think you have to take into consideration that your son may not like card collecting or basketball at all. With that in mind, this opens up two main concerns; collecting for your personal interest (team, player, brand, etc.) but also possibly collecting for money reasons.

By the time you go to pass your cards down to your son, he could either want to keep them because he likes them, he'll keep them to sell them, or he won't want them at all. Then either they're his or they're yours, and if they're yours and you don't want them anymore, you'll probably want to sell them. But, if you wanted to keep them, then you should collect for what you will want to keep; maybe your favorite team, favorite player(s), favorite sets, patches, AU, etc. However, if you think you may not want to keep them long run, you may want to combine that and collect sellable cards of your favorite teams and players and sets.

For instance...

You said you like the Timberwolves. You could collect Kevin Love and Rubio (when his cards come out) and maybe even Derrick Williams. You can collect all cards of theirs, or you could go after highly sought after cards; low numbered, autographs, patches, high end, etc. This way, you're collecting something you like (you can throw Curry and Ellis in there too if you want), something that you could sell if you needed to (it's highly difficult getting rid of base and low end inserts), or something that will gain in value for when you do pass it down. Win win all around.

There isn't any one person that can tell you the best way to collect, it's all up to the collector. Busting packs is awesome, but more often than not, unless you're going after that set, you don't get as many cards as you need/want. I collect Pistons. I could open a whole hobby box of something and only get 3 cards I need for my collection, have a couple of hits I can trade for other cards, and a BUNCH of base that someone may not want. Or if I went higher end (12 cards or less per box) and not even get 1 card for my PC and nobody's whom I can't get rid of. So it all depends on how you want to collect and what you're willing to risk.

Now, there are many great traders on here who may have what you need/want and you may have something they need/want so you can get rid of some of the extras that come in the boxes. But know, there really aren't that many low end set collectors out there anymore (I'm one of only a few). Most people who collect sets collect harder sets and dump the low end stuff to their LCS for credit or give it to charities (recommended). And those that are set collectors or collect base for their PCs (super collectors of teams and players) normally (there are exceptions) won't trade a GU for a bunch of low end cards even if it's the same value.

Good luck in your decision and welcome to the community. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. Thanks.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

Agree with the rest. Pick a team or player or generation or sometrhing before your collection gets out of hand. Trust us. Also be careful about buying packs and boxes on the bay. The wording can trick you. You want to buy the Hobby and not the retail. You can go to Target or Walmart for retail. No need for the bay. The price is much higher for Hobby, but its worth it with the hits that you wont find in retail. Also be aware that there are case hits which are most likely already gotten if they are selling boxes on the bay. Not trying to be confusing, but in short, I bought a bunch of boxes on the bay and only got scrub players as my hits. Never gotten a big hit off a box on the bay. Just my perception. One more thing, you will see Hot Packs on ther, very tempting to get since you are guaranteed a hit, but like before, they are usually scrub players out of packes that have been obtained by Pack Searching. This is frowned upon with us collectors. People go to retail places and snag all the hit packs before some kid can get lucky with his allowance. Sad. Wlcome and Good Luck. My final advise, just buy singles. Save and buy ones you will cherish and ones that will not decrease in value too much. Super Star players from all generations are the best investment for your babys future. Other than CD's and Stocks wich are no where nEar as fun!
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

I am on the same page as everybody's comments so far.

I would stay away from retail boxes, especially off ebay or any other auction type website. The wording can be tricky. make sure you understand the full description.

I'd recommend buying a couple boxes, but if you want to save money & have a lot of cool cards, then try to buy single cards or "lots" online.. trade with the other collectors on Beckett. Many people on this page will throw in extra cards or give you good deals in trades, especially when it deals with lower cost items.

Figure out what cards from the past you always wanted & try to go after those.. you already have your favorite team & a few favorite players. Don't go crazy buying tons of singles all at once... You don't want to spend too much money at one time. Some collectors go crazy. I was one of them, when I first started collecting again in 2007.

If you have a favorite set or a set that appeals to you, take a look at the check list on beckett. See what other players are part of that set. Are there autos in the regular set? what is the print run? Do you think it is a reasonable goal to collect all base (regular cards) & autographs?

Decide how much money you will put away to support your collecting addiction? $20-50 a week, ect. Try to stay within this amount. There are a lot of collectors that end up having to sell some of their collection, because of financial problems or something other urgent matter.. it is sad when those things happen, but that is part of life. When people know you are in need, they will try to get you to sell at the lowest possible amount.. You don't want this to happen to you.

How old is your son? If he is old enough to know what a sports card is... buy a cheap product... put some cards in toploaders & teambags or used screwdown holders.. so your son can look at them & play with them without you having to worry about them being ruined. Teach him the difference between Daddy's cards & his cards.. this is what I have been doing with my 2 year old. He knows Daddy's cards are "pretties", so he can't touch them, but his cards he can hold & look at.. as long as he doesn't throw them.. then I take them away..

Start a photobucket account to post pictures of your favorite cards or those cards you want to trade. Add the link to your Beckett Profile signature.

good luck & welcome to the Beckett boards.
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*