`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a question of semantics

a question of semantics
Busted a box of 1998 Hardcourt today. Didn't do so hot, but one pull was a Jordan Holding Court Red /2300 of Allen Iverson. My question is this: Is it a Michael Jordan card or not? MJ's picture is on the back, he's got little quotes about the player on the card as well. I really can't decide. Part of me says no, part of me says it's like a mirror image or mystery finest card w/ multiple players on it.

Whatcha think?
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

RE: a question of semantics
Its listed in the PG under Jordan and each individual player so I would say it is
[Image: SanFrancisco49ers750.jpg]
Joey Porter Collector

semantics semantics you say patato I say potato. I say yeah it has jordan on it so let it be. Its similar to the 95 metal stackhouse scrapbook cards that are attributed as being part of the mj database even though it just has a side pic of him w/stackhouse.
Selling my org out
Rolleyes

What about the 90's NBA Hoops card of Sam Vincent with Jordan in the foreground wearing #12? I think because he had blood on his jersey, but either way, people sought that card just because he was in it with that jersey.

Please, even cards of other players that got snapped during game, if Jordan is playing defense on them... its a Jordan card even if its not listed as such.
Personal Collections are as follows :
1) Knicks (anyone who has worn the jersey at one time or another and made a significant impact on the team.)
2) Latrell sprewell
3) Amare Stoudemire
4) Carmelo Anthony
5) Steve Nash
6) Chauncey Billups

(01-24-2012, 05:35 AM)antriarc Wrote: Please, even cards of other players that got snapped during game, if Jordan is playing defense on them... its a Jordan card even if its not listed as such.
because when jordan was on the court, no one else was really playing Tongue lol sorry couldn't resist, you all know I hate Jordan Tongue lol
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

Ah, this brings me back to a discussion I opened up a while ago that people seemed to be torn about. But maybe it's different because "it's Jordan". Smile The discussion I opened up a while ago was whether people should be tagged in cards if they are a "shadow" player (as and1hotsauce and folkertino put it). and1hotsauce looks for all shadow cards of Rasheed Wallace, so any card where he's even partially pictured.

Now, for people who are "super" collectors of teams or players, having this attribute added to the database would be very useful for them. Say for instance I were to somehow acquire all Pistons cards ever made and then I'm bored. Maybe the next thing I'd want to do is go after all cards where a player is showed playing against the Pistons (a ridiculous goal). I see quite a few cards out there where Jordan is shown in the card description or tagged with his playerid so when people search for Jordan, they get that card. Here's one where he is tagged but his name isn't in the description.

Pippen isn't tagged in this card. Neither is Cartwight, Paxson (I think that's who he is), Grant or Phil Jackson. I know I've seen some football cards with Rodgers, Manning, Brees and others in the description (didn't check if they were tagged) but there seems to only be special treatment. Hopefully when they allow us users to submit edits (must include scan of card) we can add "shadow" players.
However, I'd prefer to add them as a shadow attribute. I wouldn't want to add players as the main players and end up getting a Jared Dudley card because they show Rodney Stuckey guarding him. At least, not until I had all Pistons cards already. Smile
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

(01-23-2012, 09:51 PM)marquettewade3 Wrote: What about the 90's NBA Hoops card of Sam Vincent with Jordan in the foreground wearing #12? I think because he had blood on his jersey, but either way, people sought that card just because he was in it with that jersey.
I would have to see a scan of the mentioned card to make a judgement... but I do agree with Marquettewade3... a lot of collectors collect MJ when he was in the background... shadow players?? Any card with a player as the main person or snapped in the background wearing the wrong jersey is going to be chased by super collectors..

How about Johnny Kilroy? Is that a MJ card? I would say yes.

[Image: featured%20image.jpg]
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

Oh hell yes! Johnny!