`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone ever been to Cooperstown?

Has anyone ever been to Cooperstown?
Need some tips on going to Cooperstown. I AM going for Larkin's induction. Has anyone gone during the induction weekend? Places to stay? Parking? Anything else in general???
Always trading for Barry Larkin. Also looking for Joe Burrow and Tee Higgins. 

Will consider trading for other current/past Cincinnati Reds and Bengals.

[Image: Uw7lfAR.jpg]

RE: Has anyone ever been to Cooperstown?
I lived 20 min from Cooperstown growing up.
My father went to inductions for years and the game afterwards (not anymore).
You need to get reservations early to stay within 1 hour..
Suggest Sherburn/Norwich/Hamitlon or even Utica then arrive early for best parking.
Be prepared to walk a lot..lots of time on feet..
I used to open the museum and then eat lunch late morning (11-11:15) at one of the many restaurants with a baseball theme..they are fun and food good.

Now if you are staying more than 1 day, then the induction and next day tour the shrine..
There are other museums there too, Indian stuff and farmers museum..
Great time!!!!

Oneonta is about 20 miles south of Cooperstown and while still not cheap to stay at, it is cheaper than Cooperstown or nearby towns. It's also quicker/easier to get to & from than the other three listed. It is right off of I-88. A short trip up Hwy. 28 sends you right to Cooperstown. Parking is limited near the HOF, so I would suggest showing up a couple of hours before the ceremony. It is a lovely little mountain town and you can wander around it until the ceremony.
I haven't been for Induction weekend, but you definitely want to make sure you plan for at least a full day to spend in the museum. It is massive and the displays are excellent, esp. the new inductees display. I was there about a month after Sandberg and Boggs were inducted in '05. I do wish it was easier to take pics in there though. The low light levels and glass everywhere make it hard to get good photos.
I REALLY wish I could get back up there to see it again. I could go in there for several days in a row and not get bored.

I hope you enjoy every minute of your trip!
BTW, I am glad to hear that Barry got in. Even as a Cardinals fan (and more so as an Ozzie fan), he deserved to get in there with Ozzie and Cal. He was better at the plate than both of them were and was a great team player and leader. He would've won a lot more Gold Gloves if he wasn't always overshadowed by Ozzie's acrobatics. Smile

Onoenta is good to stay, forgot about that, being from Norwich, we were forbidden to speak the name!!!
I used to stay near Utica and took the back roads in..
Parking is tough...food ok and shopping is great..

When I went, we came from Niagara Falls. After leaving the HOF, we headed south and stayed the night in Oneonta before heading to NYC the next day and headed home to NC the day after that. It took about 45 minutes to get to Oneonta but that's b/c of the low speeds on the MTN roads and it was night, so we had to watch out for wildlife. The scenery in-between the two towns was amazing, even at night.

Ive been there just never on induction dates. I went like in september 1999 and stayed at a hotel in front of the lake and like a block away from the museum.
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(01-10-2012, 03:36 PM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: Ive been there just never on induction dates. I went like in september 1999 and stayed at a hotel in front of the lake and like a block away from the museum.
If you plan ahead and not an important date, that area is great to stay for fishing/sites/hikes and lots of history!!!

(01-10-2012, 05:15 PM)bonds20001 Wrote: If you plan ahead and not an important date, that area is great to stay for fishing/sites/hikes and lots of history!!!
Yeah the place is great, i was there for like 3 or 4 days but didnt really do much other than go to the museum. I walked through all the shops in main street, bought a ripken auto 2132 ball, went to lots of the restaurants around too, they were all nice!!! I also went to a batting cage near the field and hit some 80mph sliders lol
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

My sons baseball team went there to play i suggest to stay in the Ostega, it is were some of the inductees stay but is very nice and good food. Also if you are going to buy some cards there they are really really overprice boxes, packs, and singles. Hope this helps you Thanks
[Image: fudgiebannercopy.jpg]

Thanks for the info guys. I really want to go when Hoffman goes in.