`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ron Santo elected to the Hall of Fame

Ron Santo elected to the Hall of Fame
Congratulations Cubs fans. Ron Santo was elected to the Hall of Fame by the Veterans Committee today.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/i...-hall-fame

I know a lot of Cubs fans on here wanted him in the Hall. Unfortunately, he died a year ago and will never know he made it though I am sure it makes his family a little happier.

His former teammmate Billy Williams was on the committee this year and surely helped his cause. He received 15 of 16 votes.

He is only the 11th third baseman elected to the Hall.

His lifetime average of .277 and 342 homers are not overwhelming on their own, but are exceptional for a third baseman in the pre-steroid era.

He was always considered the next best third baseman of his era after Brooks Robinson.

He led the league in assists and putouts at the position seven times.

He also led the league in errors three times, which was a product of leading the league in chances several times. He routinely had more chances than Robinson. He only led the league in fielding percentage once and was second just once. I am assuming that the Cubs staff in that era induced a lot of ground balls. He saw a lot of action in that corner and did it all while dealing with diabetes.

Just as in the field, he was a little bit of a paradox at the plate. He had just as many home run seasons as Jim Rice - four.

He also had four seasons of striking out 100 times. That was also better than Rice, who had six 100 strikeout seasons. However, Sano also had six years of striking out between 90-99 times and that hurt his batting average a bit.

On the other hand, he led the league in walks four times and led the league in on-base percentage twice. Jim Rice never led the league in OBP.

He led the league in triples once, with 13, a number few players in the past fifty years have reached.

I think if his batting average had been 10 points higher he would have gotten in years ago.

I compare him to Rice, because all I have heard the last 20 years is how much Rice was overlooked, but hardly ever heard much for Santo until the last couple years. It would seem to be a no-brainer for Santo if Rice was worthy and I am surprised at how few votes he received from the writers. Then again, most of the writers are morons.

RE: Ron Santo elected to the Hall of Fame
The guy was very deserving, shouldn't of took so long! A shame he didn't live long enough to see it happen.

That's good, he deserved it

Even though I'm way too young for any of these guys, I would've liked to have seen Minoso get the nod too. I like everything that I've read about him.
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

I actually thought this was the year Hodges would get in. I think this was his last best shot.

He is now moving from my "Significant Cubs" box at home into my "HOF Cubs" box.

JonathanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

thats great! glad to hear he finally made it.
[Image: banner-2-1.jpg]

Not sure if Im correct on this but isnt he now only the second HOF'er behind Banks to be a HOF'er without ever playing in a World Series?
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

It's an effing joke. He should have been in for a long time, and should have been alive to see it him self. I hope his family tells the HOF to f off.
He has been my favorite player since I was 7. I'm happy he's in, i'm a die hard cubs fan, but its just sad and pathetic that relationships with the media has such a big impact on it. Only reason he didnt get in was because he didnt get along with reporters. You cant find one other reason as to why he should be in. One of the top 3 best 3rd baseman all time.
collecting Cheslor Cuthbert.
I can 50/50 midwest league autos.
[Image: chesbatting-2-1.jpg]

...The Hall of Very Good expands yet again
[Image: 374.gif][Image: 1337.gif]

(12-05-2011, 04:31 PM)cptnemo66 Wrote: Not sure if Im correct on this but isnt he now only the second HOF'er behind Banks to be a HOF'er without ever playing in a World Series?
Ryne Sandberg, Fergie Jenkins and Phil Niekro come to mind.
Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.
http://s606.photobucket.com/home/jalbregts