`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
any one else have this problem ?

RE: any one else have this problem ?
(11-30-2011, 08:12 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: "Well at least I'm not using drugs/buying hookers/etc"
Hey, I can balance my cards,drugs, and hookers addiction just fine thank you Wink
Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.
http://s606.photobucket.com/home/jalbregts

I feel your pain in this. My parents were addicted to alcohol and my brother as well. I have lost them all in the past years. I collect because I am always chasing the next thrill. Lately I have found that the ups of this hobby are few and far between. But I have amassed a very sweet collection of autos and gu autos and my wife sometimes buys me a box. The point I am making is if collecting is ruining the marriage then what happens when you stop? If you take it off the table do you find more faults to go after? +1000 my wife is worth it too. The next suggestion I have is talk out the issue. Even after I fight with my wife I always talk out the problem. Communication is key.

(11-30-2011, 11:15 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: I'll fix it all for $15 bucks...I'll send you the money...you send me every card you own Tongue lol jk hang in there bro!
Yeah, seriously! LOL ... It was such a joke. I told the guy I liked cards, but was spending too much money on them, it was upsetting my wife, when I was with her I felt terrible about it, but when I wasn't and I was out buying cards I was like a drug addict. Basically after like two "sessions," he comes up with ... "why don't you just stop buying cards?"

I'm like ... LISTEN, A------, THAT'S WHY I'M HERE!

I didn't actually say that, but I quit going after that. So it was actually more like 30 bucks, also known as a blaster and a value meal from McDonalds ... take care, RJ

(11-30-2011, 11:22 PM)beatles guy Wrote: Hey, I can balance my cards,drugs, and hookers addiction just fine thank you Wink
But the real question is, can you handle them all at the same time?

Thanks all for the advise. I was a drug addict for a long time. When I stopped useing and drinking 5 years ago, cards took their place. I have always loved cards, but when I got clean I remebered that Jeter auto#/25 I took to the pawn shop to get high and got $30 for a few years back. I could never let that go and decided I would never do that ***** again. I think I way over compinsated for it.
Anyways we had a long talk and things are better now. you guys were right, communication is key. One of the problems was I has 3 monster box's(hold 5000 cards each) in the corner of the front room makeing her crazy. And those are just all the extra cards I had, not my PC, trade or sets. I decided with her that we will take these box's and give them to the childrens hospital and let them give them out. they are base and inserts I dont need for my sets, and it will clear out her front room and do something nice for some sick kids.
I do have a pretty great wife, she has stuck by me thru some real ***** in my life. I think when I said I wanted a case of cards it made her mad because her birthday is in like 6 days and I havent asked her what she wanted yet. I have her present already, but she has no idea. I just needed to vent it all out, and not feel alone in this crazy world of collecting. I do feel like a card addict tho...LOL... I can not go past Target without wanting to stop and grab a pack. Thanks to all of you for being just as crazy as I am about cardboard. I have made some great freinds here.

[Image: No-Maam-Group-costumes_1.jpg]

My wife and I will have our 12th anniversary March 30th.

I've been in the dog house before for collecting offenses. We were only married for a few months when she got a shock from the purchase of a case. She wasn't really upset, just shocked at the price.

Later purchases brought me to the dog house.

Unless you have plenty in savings... you really should chill. If you are JUST paying bills and using the remainder to buy cards, it's foolish.
You really never know what is going to happen. I've learned the hard way.

At this moment... just take that advice. I thought about telling you the entire perfect storm that's put me in a bad situation since 2007...
but instead, just chill. If you are thinking of all EXTRA (non monthly payment) money as disposable, stop.

I'm not telling you to stop collecting. I still love baseball and collecting, but I love my Wife and Son a whole bunch more.

Talk to your wife and plead for mercy. Smile

However, if you happen to be just fine... and I mean really set money wise, by all means, buy within reason and enjoy!

You can also let her open some packs and do the, "HEY! You just pulled a killer card!" deal, that helps a little.

jakelovescards, but does jakelovewife?

Hope that helps a little. Probably not the dvice you wanted though.

(11-30-2011, 12:41 PM)Jakelovescards Wrote: I do make sure all my bills are paid. I have stopped buying box's. I only get a few packs when we go to target. The last time I bought a box of cards was Gitner when it came out. She got me a case 4 my birthday and i wish she hadnt it just gets thrown in my face now . I know we have more issues but this seems to be the biggest one . All I said was I wish I had a case of that. I know I can go over board, I am sure I am in the wrong. I have to find a way to let the cards go a little. Thanks for the advise guys

hahaha, this is the best advice!

I have a local shop move most of my cards online, otherwise, I make sure I am ALWAYS selling SOMETHING on my own account. That way, they see stuff going out. If you keep everything you open, then you are just plain screwed.

Keep the best 10% of your cards, liquidate the rest and use the funds for more cases, open them when she isn't around or open them at the shop. Throw away all evidence (packs, case, etc)

It's not nearly as much fun as having all of your cards around to look at and enjoy, but it will keep her off your arse.

The other option is to sell your best 4-5 cards, surprise her with a nice gift and say "this is from selling my cards." It'll buy you at least 6 months of freedom, I know from experience!

(11-30-2011, 10:23 AM)chevy man 22 Wrote: Take advice from a pro collector get your cards out of the house asap and to a safe location or you will soon regret it. Make her think you got rid of them all and just keep them at a buddies house or something and sneak buy to see them when you can.

(11-30-2011, 04:58 PM)beatles guy Wrote: Boy am I glad to be married to my wife Smile
+10

Be honest and talk about it.It's a sore spot with her.The guys are right,Make sure the bills are paid.A wise man once told me,Do spend the rent on cards.Ask her what bothers her about you collecting?Is it because your spending time on your hobby and not her? It must have been bothering her for a while for her to blow up like that.Let things calm down for a bit and talk to her.My wife ribs me about it,But see knows I'm happy so that's what counts with her.I'm here at home,Not at the bar chasing women.I get things done at home.Use time wisely.Little time to the hobby and more time with the family.Smile

Budget yourself to say $20 bucks a week.I know some guys are saying WHAT! Blaster here and a blaster there.Buy supplies one week and cards the next.And withdraws are a SOB lol
[Image: 4493bcb91_zpsb323e81b.jpg]

Looking for 2012 & 2013 Topps inserts and sp's

My bucket

Thanks everyone. Things are going much better. Opened up and let her tell me what was bothering her and solved most issue's. We went shopping yesterday and I got $125 in cards. She said that was fine. I let her choose most of the blasters. When we got home and opened them, I pulled That Harper au #/500 out of a blaster she chose. I showed her the BV and told her how bad I have been wanting this one card for a year now. we shared the celebration togethor. I will be spending less time on here. I think she does feel ignored at times. And yep Jakeloveshiswife !! Way more than cards. She is my world. And my 2 boys/ I could never live with out them. We have been married for 12 years also. All of you really helped me out, I could never thank you guys enough.