`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Caution: coffee is served hot! [CONTEST OVER]

RE: Caution: coffee is served hot! [CONTEST]
(12-01-2011, 12:14 AM)eharris3abc Wrote: 1) What did the unhappy buyer claim was deceptive about my auction?

d) unopened packs and box pictured were not included in shipment

2) How did I resolve this complaint?
a) apologize, refund, block bidder

3) This is why I have stopped selling on ebay because of people who do silly stuff and impulse buy without reading the entire ad...
NAILED IT. Wow, in only the third guess, eharris3abc blows this contest UP! Even better, he snaked it just ahead of johnxgodfree, who would have been the winner had eharris been just a tad slower on the trigger. I really want to let the contest go a little bit longer so I can read some more of the excellent rants. But I don't want to jerk you all around like I did the poor guy who was expecting his complete set to come out of unopened packs in a hobby box.

johnxgodfree's rant, BTW, was pretty similar to the actual e-mail from the buyer, but the buyer's was somewhat less literate. I apologized for the misunderstanding, refunded his money, told him he could keep the cards, and blocked him. The weird thing is the guy has thousands of transactions. Not that I'd have refused the sale to a newbie, but you'd think someone who has been around so long wouldn't be confused about something like this.

Obviously, it never would have occurred to me that a buyer would think that a complete set could be assembled and put back in packs and a hobby box, but there it is. I have now added a line to my set auctions (when using a logo or a stock photo) that reads, "Please note: the image accompanying this listing is merely to illustrate the set from which these cards came; you will not be receiving a hobby box or any unopened packs."

This disclaimer reminds me of the signs at the McDonald's drive through: Caution: coffee is served hot!

FWIW, in retrospect I think referring to the set as "high end" is far more deceptive. I pretty much proved it with the auction price. I probably left that in from some previous auction, but it looks kind of stupid now.

Anyway, thanks for the fun everyone. eharris, please PM me with your mailing address, and I'll get your REJECTS in the mail Friday morning. Good night, everyone.

Nathan

RE: Caution: coffee is served hot! [CONTEST OVER]
Guy wasn't confused - he's a seller on ebay with 1000's of transactions - he knew what he was doing and just wanted to jump on any excuse to get a refund.

OR - he was sniping and didn't read the description (his fault). Although, I personally wouldn't use that picture just because of ###holes like this guy.

Thanks for another name to add to my Blocked Bidders list!

Ken
CURRENT NEEDS:
*2011 Topps Black Diamond Wrapper Redemptions (wants marked in ORG)
*All Carl Edwards Cards I don't have (wants marked in ORG)
*Marcus Thornton, Kevin Johnson (NBA)
*"Air Coryell" San Diego Chargers
[Image: 6802037740_e2e39685ee.jpg]

RE: Caution: coffee is served hot! [CONTEST]
(12-01-2011, 12:56 AM)pyweed Wrote: NAILED IT. Wow, in only the third guess, eharris3abc blows this contest UP! Even better, he snaked it just ahead of johnxgodfree, who would have been the winner had eharris been just a tad slower on the trigger. I really want to let the contest go a little bit longer so I can read some more of the excellent rants. But I don't want to jerk you all around like I did the poor guy who was expecting his complete set to come out of unopened packs in a hobby box.

johnxgodfree's rant, BTW, was pretty similar to the actual e-mail from the buyer, but the buyer's was somewhat less literate. I apologized for the misunderstanding, refunded his money, told him he could keep the cards, and blocked him. The weird thing is the guy has thousands of transactions. Not that I'd have refused the sale to a newbie, but you'd think someone who has been around so long wouldn't be confused about something like this.

Obviously, it never would have occurred to me that a buyer would think that a complete set could be assembled and put back in packs and a hobby box, but there it is. I have now added a line to my set auctions (when using a logo or a stock photo) that reads, "Please note: the image accompanying this listing is merely to illustrate the set from which these cards came; you will not be receiving a hobby box or any unopened packs."

This disclaimer reminds me of the signs at the McDonald's drive through: Caution: coffee is served hot!

FWIW, in retrospect I think referring to the set as "high end" is far more deceptive. I pretty much proved it with the auction price. I probably left that in from some previous auction, but it looks kind of stupid now.

Anyway, thanks for the fun everyone. eharris, please PM me with your mailing address, and I'll get your REJECTS in the mail Friday morning. Good night, everyone.

Nathan
love it/hate it!, the headaches of dealing with online sales haha.. the reason I would have picked the other answer is due to your feedback and whatnot, no sense in blowing a perfect record over some dummy and his four bucks, I know in that situation I would have just ate the four bucks, told them to enjoy the cards for the confusion and been on my way (albeit...annoyed as can be). no sense in having ebay or that buyer sting you over 4 bucks. as nice as it would be to completely go off on someone like that occasionally haha Wink

selling for years on amazon, ebay and through our website has put me in that same position more than once over the years. although not as much lately since we focus on the website now and have pretty good luck *knock on wood* I use to have a pretty good generic message typed up to reply back to people buying used books on amazon from us when we resold a ton of that kinda stuff. it was for the people that ordered a book yesterday, and then mailed you today asking where there order was. or two days later for that matter. it was a generic "covered every base possible of the process of ordering, shipping, when to expect it by, when to contact us by if they haven't seen it. with blank spots for their name/book(s)/date ordered/date shipped/estimated arrival date/date to contact us by. also had another one for when people ordered an item...shows delivered but then a week later they freak out asking where it is.... 8 times outta 10 once that e-mail was sent they either didn't say anything back and realized they did get it the other 2 times are "oh haha, i e-mailed the wrong seller! i thought i ordered this book from you sorry!" or "oh, my wife had brought that package inside found it on the table!"

as you noted with adding that line on the end of the auctions...its good to be thorough and treat every aspect of ebay as if you were dealing with a total moron. spell everything out to cover yourself, because unfortunately I bet you aren't the first person they have pulled that on. it is probably why they bought it because they knew you wouldn't make a fuss over $4...and with nothing for a seller to do but block future bidding, can't give them negative feedback...sucks!

I don't miss selling a ton on amazon/ebay
*/rant*
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

Great read for my first thread back after a couple of months off. Hilarious OP followed by great reponses. You have great contests all the time pyweed, thanks for keeping things alive around here. I will be getting some organizing done now, lots and lots of that to do.

LF 1934/1936 Diamond Stars
&
05 Turkey Red SPs
13 Turkey Red
12 Archives Au's
12 Archives Gold
13 Finest Master Set
Ginter mini Snakes/Fortunes/Beards/Hats/Bikes

I love rant threads. johnxgodfree blowing the doors off that one.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to using COMC more and more, eBay less and less. No contact with buyers necessary.

Welcome back, toddaray.

Did you really charge the buyer $4.00 shipping after auction was over when it said free shipping?
Or , was that just a gag in your original post?